[SOLVED] AMD 3900X processor Motherboard with IPMI

Oct 28, 2021
Hello, I'm looking to build a new homelab with an AMD 3900X processor, where I'll need at least 12 cores. I didn't figure out which motherboards work with this processor:
Requirements
  • IPMI is required.
  • Server motherboards for less than (400/500 euros)
  • Server is up and operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Proxmox
  • Supports 128 GB of RAM (For now 64GB)
  • Very quite considering I will be in the same room
  • Integrated Video Card
  • As nice to have : 2 Ethernet ports
  • ECC support
I checked the X570D4I-2T but it seems like there are some issues with 3900X
Any Suggesstions?

Last edited:
Solution
Yes I mean PCIe 4.0.

Absolutly right,I must say that choosing the right component (especially server components) is a hard task and it is not on my field.

What you suggest? Should I go with Supermicro H11SSL-i Motherboard? If that's the case, which AMD EPYC should I use? Do you have any suggestions for a setup at a budget of 1700 euros, knowing my requirements?

Thank you:)
Supermicro isn't my first choice. They had problems with microcode/firmware backdoors for the Chinese. If you can find a non-Supermicro I would go that route. But if that is what you can find, then it should work.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I'm looking to build a new homelab with an AMD 3900X processor, where I'll need at least 12 cores. I didn't figure out which motherboards work with this processor:
Requirements
  • IPMI is required.
  • Server motherboards for less than (400/500 euros)
  • Server is up and operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Proxmox
  • Supports 128 megabytes of RAM (For now 64MB)
  • Very quite considering I will be in the same room
  • Integrated Video Card
  • As nice to have : 2 Ethernet ports
  • ECC support
I checked the X570D4I-2T but it seems like there are some issues with 3900X
Any Suggesstions?
Why is the 3900X required? Do you already have the CPU and are trying to force it into this usage?
Your requirements are more appropriate for a Xeon implementation.

Oct 28, 2021
Why is the 3900X required? Do you already have the CPU and are trying to force it into this usage?
Your requirements are more appropriate for a Xeon implementation.

Hello Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, you are correct. Unlike the 3900X, Xeon processors were designed to operate continually. Although, all Xeon processors that are equivalent to the 3900X are pricey. My homelab server has a budget of 1700 euros(MAX MAX) . Both the motherboard and the CPU must not cost more than 1000 euros. I require 64 GB of memory as well as an SSD disk, NVme disk, all of which are costly.

DSzymborski

Titan
The other, quite obvious problem, is that that last mainstream motherboards with integrated graphics were some very early AM3+ motherboards that were basically just retooled AM3 motherboards. There is no integrated video card option in any build that uses a 3900X.

Oct 28, 2021
The other, quite obvious problem, is that that last mainstream motherboards with integrated graphics were some very early AM3+ motherboards that were basically just retooled AM3 motherboards. There is no integrated video card option in any build that uses a 3900X.
It is not a requirement, Since I don't need a powerful GPU, I can buy a cheap one.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, you are correct. Unlike the 3900X, Xeon processors were designed to operate continually. Although, all Xeon processors that are equivalent to the 3900X are pricey. My homelab server has a budget of 1700 euros(MAX MAX) . Both the motherboard and the CPU must not cost more than 1000 euros. I require 64 GB of memory as well as an SSD disk, NVme disk, all of which are costly.
The term "home LAB", and having specific performance requirements are not typical. A home lab would generally be for learning and performance requirements would be secondary.
Is that the purpose of this hardware ?

Oct 28, 2021
The term "home LAB", and having specific performance requirements are not typical. A home lab would generally be for learning and performance requirements would be secondary.
Is that the purpose of this hardware ?

Absolutely, This machine will serve as a development machine. It will host our development and integration environment (demos) for a project that we are working on for the moment. The cloud is not an option since at least such a configuration costs us more than 500 euros / month.
For early stage of the project is too much.

For this configuration, I had thought about using Xoen/epyc , but , I don't know much about server components. I found this option
Supermicro H11SSL-i Motherboard Mainboard 8 DIMMs with AMD EPYC 7551P Server CPU 32 Cores 2GHz Prozessoren 64MB Socket SP3 Up to 3.0GHz All Core Boost Speed 2.55GHz, where the price is 800 euros
Do you think it is a good alternative ? if not, could you please tell me which components should I buy? (Server/consumer components)

kanewolf

Titan
Absolutely, This machine will serve as a development machine. It will host our development and integration environment (demos) for a project that we are working on for the moment. The cloud is not an option since at least such a configuration costs us more than 500 euros / month.
For early stage of the project is too much.

For this configuration, I had thought about using Xoen/epyc , but , I don't know much about server components. I found this option
Supermicro H11SSL-i Motherboard Mainboard 8 DIMMs with AMD EPYC 7551P Server CPU 32 Cores 2GHz Prozessoren 64MB Socket SP3 Up to 3.0GHz All Core Boost Speed 2.55GHz, where the price is 800 euros
Do you think it is a good alternative ? if not, could you please tell me which components should I buy? (Server/consumer components)
The Epyc CPU and motherboard are designed for use like you want.
Since you say you will be "in the same room", why is there a requirement for IPMI ?

Oct 28, 2021
Because I am not always at home, I must restart the computer anytime I need it.

So back to the setup I have described, the problem with "H11SSL-i Motherboard" is that it does not support PCIe 4.0 , do you know any other MOB card with the same range of price?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
I am not all the time at home, so I need to restart computer whenever I need it.

So back to the configuration the problem with "H11SSL-i Motherboard" is that he does not support PIC 4.0, do you know any alternative MOB card with the same range of price?
"PIC 4.0" ???? Do you mean PCIe 4.0 ????
Again, why is bleeding edge performance such a requirement. For your use case, stability should be prioritized over absolute performance. Dual hot-swap power supplies should be more important than PCIe 4 over PCIe 3.

Reactions: devtun
Oct 28, 2021
"PIC 4.0" ???? Do you mean PCIe 4.0 ????
Yes I mean PCIe 4.0.

Again, why is bleeding edge performance such a requirement. For your use case, stability should be prioritized over absolute performance. Dual hot-swap power supplies should be more important than PCIe 4 over PCIe 3.

Absolutly right,I must say that choosing the right component (especially server components) is a hard task and it is not on my field.

What you suggest? Should I go with Supermicro H11SSL-i Motherboard? If that's the case, which AMD EPYC should I use? Do you have any suggestions for a setup at a budget of 1700 euros, knowing my requirements?

kanewolf

Titan
Yes I mean PCIe 4.0.

Supermicro isn't my first choice. They had problems with microcode/firmware backdoors for the Chinese. If you can find a non-Supermicro I would go that route. But if that is what you can find, then it should work.

Solution