AMD 5770= bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssj4david

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Hello,

I am thinking of a video card upgrade to an AMD 5770 from a 4830, and I am just wondering if the card would be bottlenecked by my current set up.

My current rig is running:
AMD Phenom X4 9850BE 2.5GHZ CPU
4GB DDR2 800 RAM
ATI 4830 video card
Antec EA500W power supply
and
Windows 7 Ultimate.

Not looking for some1 to tell me to do a "total" comp. upgrade or some1 to tell me to get a new computer entirely, but just found a 5770 for dirt cheap. Currently running games like Battlefield BC2, PS2 Emulator, and GTAIV.

Thanks!

Solution
I don't think you'll bottleneck too badly, but it all depends on the game. Some are CPU limited, some are GPU limited. Skyrim would run great with that CPU and you'd get to max out the eye candy with a 5870, which is $140 right now on 1saleaday.com. But if you try to play BF3, you'll stutter due to your CPU regardless of what settings you use with a 5870 or 5770.

Better GPU = better eye candy. Better CPU = better fps, which only matters if you can't hit 60fps.

I don't know if I'd pick a 5770 to upgrade to though. If I were you, I'd wait until the 7000 series launches in a couple months (since you've used a 4830 this long) and wait until you either get an awesome sale, or 6000 series prices bottom out.

ssj4david

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Well, I remember putting in a 5870, and it was apparently bottlenecked by my set up. Not too sure how big the game is between a 5870 and a 5770;;; haven't been keen on comp. hardware for the past 2 years....

Also looking at a 5830 for not much more than the 5770;;; Would my current set up bottleneck that card?

O yah,A 5870 will definitly be bottlenecked by that CPU.Although the first gen Phenom's were BE I've heard that they can't be O.C.'d much(not as much as Phenom ii's anyway).

Anyhow I do think the 5770 will get bottlenecked by your CPU,espically in BFBC2.I would suggest just sticking with your 4830 until you have the money for a compete overhaul.Also don't expect much of a performance increase with GTAIV.That games is a terrible console port.

I am all with hugostiglitz on this one.

I do not think you will bottleneck it THAT bad, but a BE(i have only tested with the PII's not the first ones tho) cpu overclocks with ease.

A 5770 is near the same performance level as a 4870(better with some things worse for others). As long as you do not want MAX settings on every game, it should be a fine card. The HD6770 is also the same card if you see it cheaper.

ssj4david

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Well, I really won't mind playing current games at 720p resolution (i.e. Battlefield BC2 can be played on V. high settings w/ my current configuration), but I still think I am gonna get a 5770, just to "freshen" up an almost 3 year old computer. Just a casual gamer here, and I just want a card that would provide more consistent frame rates, use less power, and give off less heat than a 4830. Might consider an entirely new build in 1-2 years. Thanks everyone!

I don't think you'll bottleneck too badly, but it all depends on the game. Some are CPU limited, some are GPU limited. Skyrim would run great with that CPU and you'd get to max out the eye candy with a 5870, which is $140 right now on 1saleaday.com. But if you try to play BF3, you'll stutter due to your CPU regardless of what settings you use with a 5870 or 5770.

Better GPU = better eye candy. Better CPU = better fps, which only matters if you can't hit 60fps.

I don't know if I'd pick a 5770 to upgrade to though. If I were you, I'd wait until the 7000 series launches in a couple months (since you've used a 4830 this long) and wait until you either get an awesome sale, or 6000 series prices bottom out.

Solution
For 720p, I think you should be ok. I have played many different games(SC2, Just Cause 2,Borderlands,Killing Floor, Unreal3, Global Agenda, Mafia II ect) on a 5770 @ 1920 x 1200, but with some reduction in details on some games.

These are not top end games(I have another computer for that stuff), but gives you an idea.

The first generation of 5770's runs into the low 80's on most games but idles in the high 30s low 40s. Some aftermarket cooler equipped ones run cooler

Power wise, it is actually a good card as well.

@ dalauder
Thats a damn good price for a 5870. Do you shop there?

Actually the 5770 consumes roughly 13 watts more than the 4830 but it is a lot cooler running i'm sure.The 48xx series were really hot running cards.

But as everyone else has stated, I really think going with something form the 68xx series at least would be the best option.Going with a lower end card from the 7xxx series would be best.That way you don't have to buy a new card when the time comes for a new PC.

Yeah, I picked up some sets of pearls there for my mom and wife--real pearls for <$10 + $5 shipping. I also got an underwater video camera that works as well as CNET reviews say it should (cheap $30 camera and the reviews said it was cheap--but it's still working like the day I bought it).

Anyhow...their site is completely legit. I've bought quite a few things from there. It's just clearance stuff. For example, I think AMD is dumping it's OEM 5000 series cards. They had 5850's for $120 on that site last week. Usually things come back to the site once or twice later on.

The only drawback is shipping times. It's SLOW--typically one week to one month.

I'd definitely buy one, but I just picked up a GTX 570 from a guy on this forum for $200. And I can't justify $140 to add to my secondary rig's graphics when I've already got SLI'd GTS 250's that I don't use. So in lieu of me buying that 5870 that I really want, I'm trying to let other people know about it.

My 4870 runs hot(idles in the high 70's), but it seems to be because it runs the fan slower(very quiet) and does not clock down as far at idle(400 vs 157).

I think in normal games, the 5770(I am more then happy with the one in my media center) will not be any worse then the 4830 TBH for power draw.
http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264

@ dalauder
Thanks for that info.
If I had not recently picked up a sound card, that card may well have been on its way to me for some crossfire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.