amd 8370 8 core vs intel 6600k 4 core

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brad Baltus

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
i have a 1090t and looking for a good gaming upgrade. why would a processor with less cores and lower clock speed beat a cpu with higher clock speed and 2 extra cores? i was looking at a fx 8370 but i was told a 6600k would beat it hands down. so far with your help i've chosen an i5 6600k, 16 gb kingston hyper x 2133 mhz ddr4 ram and asus rog maximus viii hero.

Solution
Suppose a company(A) has 4 worker. Each worker can perform 10 arithmetic operation every minute. Another company(B) has 8 worker but the workers can perform 2 arithmetic operation every minute. So the first company will beat the second one every time even if the first one has less worker. Because it has more productive worker.
The case is similar to the i5 6600 and fx 8370.

Also clock speed is not indicative of performance in different CPU. Remember pentium Dual core CPUs? They had 2 cores. I3 also has dual core. But i3 would beat every pentium dual core every time even if the i3 has slower clock speed.

The_Man12

Honorable
Mar 22, 2014
The i5 beats the FX-8370 because each single core can do more calculations per second compared to the FX-8370. One core from the i5 is faster than one core from the FX. It depends on the application whether it's single threaded or multi-threaded.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the cores are different for one thing. the AMD is a quad core with dual thread abilities. their version of hyperthreading. this is good for many threaded activities, games rarely use many (4 or more) cores. I could be wrong but gaming will tax the first 2 or 4 cores which on the AMD side is 1 or 2 cores pulling dual duty. for gaming the rule of thumb is get the best 4 cores you can. the 6600k is the best at the mo.

Inkiad

Distinguished
Suppose a company(A) has 4 worker. Each worker can perform 10 arithmetic operation every minute. Another company(B) has 8 worker but the workers can perform 2 arithmetic operation every minute. So the first company will beat the second one every time even if the first one has less worker. Because it has more productive worker.
The case is similar to the i5 6600 and fx 8370.

Also clock speed is not indicative of performance in different CPU. Remember pentium Dual core CPUs? They had 2 cores. I3 also has dual core. But i3 would beat every pentium dual core every time even if the i3 has slower clock speed.

Solution

Number of cores means little when each AMD core is so weak. Even an Intel i3 2 core processor can beat AMD's 8 core processors.

Status
Not open for further replies.