Question AMD A10-5800k Bottlenecking

Mar 11, 2019
Hey, I think this is the right place to post this.
I play GW2 very often, and been doing a lot more WvW. I've been experiencing a lot of lag and fps drops down to below 10 even on lowest settings.
I ran task master while the game was playing, and even in a quieter area, the CPU usage was well over 90%, even hitting 99% regularly.

These are my specs-
CPU-AMD A10-5800k APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.80GHz
Installed Ram-16.0gb
Graphics Card- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Motherboard- ASUSTEK, no clue what model name.

I'm not good with computers and I'm sure something needs upgrading/changing but I have no idea what to do in order to reduce the bottleneck and what I need to change.
Please help me, I am so very confused.

Hey, I think this is the right place to post this.
I play GW2 very often, and been doing a lot more WvW. I've been experiencing a lot of lag and fps drops down to below 10 even on lowest settings.
I ran task master while the game was playing, and even in a quieter area, the CPU usage was well over 90%, even hitting 99% regularly.

These are my specs-
CPU-AMD A10-5800k APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 3.80GHz
Installed Ram-16.0gb
Graphics Card- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Motherboard- ASUSTEK, no clue what model name.

I'm not good with computers and I'm sure something needs upgrading/changing but I have no idea what to do in order to reduce the bottleneck and what I need to change.
Please help me, I am so very confused.
This CPU was, and is, crap. Grab yourself a new motherboard and CPU, unfortunately you'll have to change your RAM too.

fannyfarts

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
Hey, you don't need to buy new ram ; go second hand man, pick up an i5 2500k and a p67 motherboard or z77 if you want some upgrade room, for less than $120 total.

I5 2500k can have the utter balls blasted out of them, you can get 4.5ghz rather easily; and they won't hold up a gtx 1060 6gb ether.

The platform also uses ddr3 which honestly isn't that bad anyway :).

Apologies for poor grammar and spelling it's like 5 am and I'm tired 😁

Mar 11, 2019
This CPU was, and is, crap. Grab yourself a new motherboard and CPU, unfortunately you'll have to change your RAM too.
Good thing I planned on updating my computer eventually then, might just be sooner rather than later then lmao. Seeing as how GW2 is such a CPU heavy game and is the only game I actually play, I'm focusing on optimising that more.
Had a look around for what could work together and be relatively budget friendly, mind having a look and seeing what could be changed, improved or removed whilst staying at like £200 per piece if possible.
CPU - Intel i5-8400k
MoBo - ASUS Prime z370 (If I can find one)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8

Good thing I planned on updating my computer eventually then, might just be sooner rather than later then lmao. Seeing as how GW2 is such a CPU heavy game and is the only game I actually play, I'm focusing on optimising that more.
Had a look around for what could work together and be relatively budget friendly, mind having a look and seeing what could be changed, improved or removed whilst staying at like £200 per piece if possible.
CPU - Intel i5-8400k
MoBo - ASUS Prime z370 (If I can find one)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8
Except if you get it at a (huge) discount, the 8400 has crappy bang-for-buck; AMD's R5 2600 and 2600X are faster all around and actually cheaper. They also work very well with mid-range motherboards (B450-based get my preference) - the MSI B450 Bazooka V2 looks to be priced around the same as the lowest Asus you're looking for and has very similar features. AMD's CPUs are bundled with very good coolers (you can actually try your hand at overclocking with them), so you won't have to buy an extra one - Intel's bundled coolers are crappier.
Corsair Vengeance 3200 work well with both platforms.

Note: the 8400K doesn't exist, only the 8600K - and it's VERY expensive (around £260), far above your own price limit. Certainly not worth the cost difference for the measly 10% performance it gets over AMD's 2600X.

Last edited:
GW2 is an old title and probably heavily based on core performance rather then multiple cores, the Character Model Limit being the most impactful(drop that to low) . The 8400/8500 single core performance is around the same as a 2600x, so either choice will be fine for GW2, though the amd chips will be more suited to other mmo's that utilize many threads.

Mar 11, 2019
Ok, thank you all for your opinions and input, it's all been quite useful! I'll have a look around and probably wait until I'm certain of what I can spend up to and go from there!