AMD A10 series processor

Is it good for gaming?

Possibly, it depends on the game and the settings you want to play at.

How much can I overclock it?

How long is a piece of string? Unfortunately, overclocking isn't an exact science, there are too many variables at work to give you a definitive answer.

The AMD A series are APUs, which in layman's terms means that the CPU and the graphics card are on the same piece of hardware. If you have a small form factor PC or don't require a lot of graphical power, this can work well.

The downside is that because resource allocation is split between two components, overall performance can be a compromise. This can be particularly true for gaming, which is one of the most demanding tasks a PC can do.

In general the A10-6700 cannot be overclock since officially only the "K" model APUs like the A10-6800k can be overclocked. I have read of a few instances (meaning less than 4) where people talked about being able to OC the A10-6700.

In terms of performance, the CPU processing power part of the APU should be about equal to a 2nd generation Intel Core 2 Quad series released back in 2008. I can still use my C2Q Q9450 to play current games.

Regarding the integrated graphics core... the Radeon HD 8670D is about as powerful as a desktop Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 assuming you are using DDR3 2133 RAM. The Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 is a less powerful versions of the Radeon HD 6670 DDR5 desktop GPU; it has 75% the performance of the DDR5 version. Back when it was released the Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 was a $60 GPU.

You can click on the review below which has a few benchmarks. I just want to point out the Skyrim benchmark where the dual core Core i3 + Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 performs a lot better than the quad core A10-6800k + Radeon HD 6670 DDR3... by a huge margin (~66%). Skyrim is known to run extremely well with Intel CPUs and it is an exception; most games do not overwhelming favor Intel CPUs as much as Skyrim does.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/a10-6700-a10-6800k-richland-review,3528.html

TRENDING THREADS