AMD A8-3850 Review: Llano Rocks Entry-Level Desktops

Status
Not open for further replies.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]So then what's the point of getting the Turbo Core versions when they are going to be Turbo Clocked slower then the none Turbo Clocked versions...[/citation]

They don't want you to see better performance from a cheaper APU in single-threaded apps by pushing Turbo Core further ;-)

Known2Bone

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
i really wanted see some amazing gains in the content creation department what with all that gpu power on chip... oh well games are fun too!

ivan_chess

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I think this would be good for a young kid's PC. It would be enough to run educational software and a web browser. When he grows up to be a gamer it would be time to replace the whole machine anyway.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... it's may be not the greatest APU for desktop... but it will be a powerful thingy in a laptop... the review was nice... but in the gaming department... would be nice to see a standard 15,x'' laptop resolution tests @ 1366x768... or something like that...

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
This makes little sense. An Athlon II X3 445 ($75) and a HD 5570 ($60, on a good day you can get a 5670 for the same price) would provide better performance for the same price ($135) and not have to worry about the RAM you use.

So is AM3+ going to be retired in favor of FM1 in the near future? Why are there chipset at all? Why isn't everything SOC by now?

Otherwise this is a very good CPU. If AMD has used 1 MB level 2 caches in their quads when they came out with the [strike]Deneb [/strike] Propus die, they would be much more competitive.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]This makes little sense. An Athlon II X3 445 ($75) and a HD 5570 ($60, on a good day you can get a 5670 for the same price) would provide better performance for the same price ($135) and not have to worry about the RAM you use.[/citation]
what about power consumption?

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]what about power consumption?[/citation]
That's about all the sense it makes then, for mobile and all-in-one units, but for cheap desktops... eh.

[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]That's about all the sense it makes then.[/citation]

Actually Llano on the Desktop is (IMO) aimed at HTPC a 100% and, off course, notebooks.

I would really, really like to see more media features with the Llano parts you guys have if it can be done 8)

Great article as usual!

Cheers!

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
In regards to dual graphics, the only game that it seemed to work on was WoW Cataclysm. What was the cause, drivers? CAPS?

And I think you guys may have gotten the min and avg FPS scores for the CoD:MW benchmark backwards... How can the min be higher than the average? Maybe you were actually comparing No AA to 4x AA or something, not min and avg FPS?

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Since when does a 100W CPU and a 6530 need a 850W power supply???

Anyway, The real show should be bulldozer-based APU's. If they could just get the graphics up to a 5750 level...

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Great article. This really helps me out since I need to replace 2 laptops in the near future.
As for a higher end desktop, I am waiting for BD and how it affects the market. That will determine which parts I keep and which parts get put into an HTPC.

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Definitely looks like a stopgap measure, a product with good execution but no market. Basically, the only people who will buy this are casual/lazy PC gamers - the serious guys would come to sites like this very one to find out that they can get way more for their money than buying Llano. Thing is, at this price point, most people don't even care about games. Like I said on a previous post, any serious, smart PC gamer will build their own or look higher in terms of pricing to get a genuinely strong system.

flong

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I don't want to be rude, but can somebody explain to me why anyone would spend $135 on this CPU when for $70 more you can get the 2500K - it just doesn't make sense to me.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I would be more interested in this for HTPC. not a whole lot of coverage in this review for that matter. Id probably go with the better motherboard setup rather than specific cpu. eyeing the gigabyte board currently.

NotANerd

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
Great write-up. Made my head swim and my heart sink (just a little). From what I've read both this and BD are stopgap products. The real stuff is Trinity and Komodo. I am looking forward to Trinity since that may be in my price range.

@flong, Someone would buy Llano if they didn't have the money for and /or didn't want to bother with discrete graphics cards. Average Joe. Exactly who it is aimed at. AMD hit their target.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]In regards to dual graphics, the only game that it seemed to work on was WoW Cataclysm. What was the cause, drivers? CAPS?And I think you guys may have gotten the min and avg FPS scores for the CoD:MW benchmark backwards... How can the min be higher than the average? Maybe you were actually comparing No AA to 4x AA or something, not min and avg FPS?[/citation]

Good call Raz--those were supposed to be NoAA/4xAA to match the graph headers--they're fixed now!

Status
Not open for further replies.