Jan 12, 2020
So I recently put a new rig together (see below), everything brand new except the GPU (Pulse Rx 580). Before building I cleaned out the GPU real good and of course applied some new thermal paste, and it runs like a charm with very good temps - idles 23-28c max load so far 65c. Heat dissipates nice and quick too.

Anyhow I haven't done any real gaming so far as it appears the new adrenaline drivers were causing major lag spikes/core clock drops across a few games I've tested (all three metro games, vanilla and very lightly modded Skyrim and AC Revelations). At first I noticed even assassin's creed wasn't utilising the card properly, so then tried lightly undervolting/oc'ing and it only made things worse.

Then I realised I had to increase power draw, so up went the power tuning slider and m-voltage too back to stock settings. Then in all games the GPU seemed to be reaching 50-100% utilisation, but still with micro-stutter/clock drops. I then resorted to overclocking and with a marginal improvement, still had the stuttering, even though I was sitting at 60 plus frames. This was all done through wattman.

In terms of troubleshooting, I checked for BTC mining viruses, modded Skyrim ini files and other fixes to make it crash and stutter free as far as engine limitations go, messed around a lot with GPU clock speeds, changed power management settings and a whole bunch of other stuff... To no avail...

The first time I uninstalled Adrenaline (19.2.1) it also removed my USB driver's which meant I couldn't operate my mouse and keyboard - I'm running Windows 7 still, I prefer privacy over malware for an OS. So after a system restore I went back to the same problems, earlier on today I uninstalled again and something odd happened...

Adrenaline software was removed, my USB drivers were left intact, I rebooted to find that windows still recognised and installed drivers for the GPU, but without the software! So then I thought "hmmm let's try Skyrim one more time", and apart from a few very minor in-game stutters, it was almost butter smooth! I then tried assassin's creed, and although there was a couple of clock-downs, I encountered very little stuttering again, and metro 2033 ran the best.

Ofc without the software the card is running stock, but in gpu-z I could see that the core clock and memory controller loads were finally working at a normal rate in game and ironically, with better frames!

Anyhow I'm not out of the woods yet as I'm not sure if I should install adrenaline again? Maybe I will and see if the problem comes back. But I would like to hear people's suggestions on what the problem may be, pertaining to the software/card as I'm royally confused to be honest!

I've also got MSI afterburner but I don't want to bother with voltage and overclocking again just yet. Any recommendations for metric overlays?

System specs:
Ryzen 2600 @ 3.8ghz
Aorus B450m mobo
Corsair vengeance RGB 3200mhz
Sapphire Pulse Rx580 8GB
Hyper 212 black cooler
Sabrent 1tb Nvme
Corsair 550w PSU

johnsoner13

Respectable
Expect to have some problems with the latest software in 2020 when you’re still running windows 7... Why not upgrade? If privacy’s an issue, it’s customizable what you want to share when setting up windows 10. Can’t live in the past, especially when it comes to technology that moves so quickly, just because you’re afraid to change.

Additionally, overclocking the ryzen 5 2600 would be a good idea to significantly help with stutters/frame drops. Just don’t expect a big increase in average framerates

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
Did you find any fix? Check my latest topic.. Like i got the exact same issue with rx 580 gigabyte, ryzen 2600. Currently using old drivers for the gpu that my windows 10 just installed by itself because having adrenaline makes me stutter so much by just moving my mouse.. All my parts are new except my psu. Everything OC and still got some microstutters in all games! AMD DRUVERS SUCK!

Reactions: The Beard
Jan 12, 2020
Did you find any fix? Check my latest topic.. Like i got the exact same issue with rx 580 gigabyte, ryzen 2600. Currently using old drivers for the gpu that my windows 10 just installed by itself because having adrenaline makes me stutter so much by just moving my mouse.. All my parts are new except my psu. Everything OC and still got some microstutters in all games! AMD DRUVERS SUCK!
Glad someone else has finally replied, at least saying they have they same problem aha!

I rolled back to a July 2019 revision of the drivers and have virtually no problems anymore, I've also left my card at stock clock and voltage as the payoff for OCing in frames for games like Skyrim just isn't worth it! But games aside it does seem like their new drivers are running like dog <Mod Edit> on the Rx 580, or at least those of us with rigs like ours. Interesting to note your on Win 10 and suffering the same issue too, as that other user on this thread wining about accepting change didn't exactly answer my actual question/s in any way... Lol.

How's the performance on older drivers? What revision are you using? If you still have problems then I'd suggest trying from July backwards. It seems the new drivers are an absolute GUI gimmick with added telemetry and that's all - I didn't realise the wattman settings were exactly the same in older revs, just with some minor functionality difference. The only thing I can think of is that there's some new power saving settings hard coded into the software which causes clock downs when less power draw is needed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 12, 2020
Expect to have some problems with the latest software in 2020 when you’re still running windows 7... Why not upgrade? If privacy’s an issue, it’s customizable what you want to share when setting up windows 10. Can’t live in the past, especially when it comes to technology that moves so quickly, just because you’re afraid to change.

Additionally, overclocking the ryzen 5 2600 would be a good idea to significantly help with stutters/frame drops. Just don’t expect a big increase in average framerates
A) Your rant about accepting "change" is just Microsoft shilling; B) speaking of overclocking, you clearly didn't read my specs as my R5 2600 is @3.8ghz and not the stock 3.4ghz; C) I'll never upgrade to 10 for the privilege of having my terminal hooked up to Micro$oft centres having my data readily tapped and sold to the highest bidder. Not when Win7 is still far faster and more stable and 3rd party software is still supporting it.

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
Glad someone else has finally replied, at least saying they have they same problem aha!

I rolled back to a July 2019 revision of the drivers and have virtually no problems anymore, I've also left my card at stock clock and voltage as the payoff for OCing in frames for games like Skyrim just isn't worth it! But games aside it does seem like their new drivers are running like <Mod Edit> on the Rx 580, or at least those of us with rigs like ours. Interesting to note your on Win 10 and suffering the same issue too, as that other user on this thread wining about accepting change didn't exactly answer my actual question/s in any way... Lol.

How's the performance on older drivers? What revision are you using? If you still have problems then I'd suggest trying from July backwards. It seems the new drivers are an absolute GUI gimmick with added telemetry and that's all - I didn't realise the wattman settings were exactly the same in older revs, just with some minor functionality difference. The only thing I can think of is that there's some new power saving settings hard coded into the software which causes clock downs when less power draw is needed!
im using 19.5.1 currently which are may 2019 drivers.. still got some stutters but its much better than newest ones. im using 2600 on 4150ghz and rx 1400-1500mhz + 2500 +50% +100mV

Windows 7 runs faster huh. I think you dream. My windows 10 runs great. Boots in about 30 seconds or less with an nvme drive. Seems like I remember that spybot made a tool called anti beacon that disables a lot of telemetry settings. Just keep in mind they will probably enable them again with the next large update.

But Windows 7 will be the next Windows XP I think. Eventually you'll have to upgrade or go to an alternative os probably. A lot of newer hardware won't even support Windows 7. Kind of amazing you were able to install it.

I would also say don't use an Android or iPhone either as those probably collect more on you than Microsoft is. And I think they did an update to add telemetry to Windows 7 and 8 a while back. Just saying.

Jan 12, 2020
im using 19.5.1 currently which are may 2019 drivers.. still got some stutters but its much better than newest ones. im using 2600 on 4150ghz and rx 1400-1500mhz + 2500 +50% +100mV
Yeah sounds like your experience is almost identical to mine. On really old games like AC Revelations is where I notice one or two dips in core clock here and there, but much more demanding games max out the load and I don't experience anything worth mentioning. Your clocking pretty high for a 580, what brand? I'm running a sapphire, curios to see if your OC is running stable?

Jan 12, 2020
Windows 7 runs faster huh. I think you dream. My windows 10 runs great. Boots in about 30 seconds or less with an nvme drive. Seems like I remember that spybot made a tool called anti beacon that disables a lot of telemetry settings. Just keep in mind they will probably enable them again with the next large update.

But Windows 7 will be the next Windows XP I think. Eventually you'll have to upgrade or go to an alternative os probably. A lot of newer hardware won't even support Windows 7. Kind of amazing you were able to install it.

I would also say don't use an Android or iPhone either as those probably collect more on you than Microsoft is. And I think they did an update to add telemetry to Windows 7 and 8 a while back. Just saying.
Yeah... And Win7 boots in 20/30 for me. Have you heard of slipstreaming? Your way behind on Win10 if you think I don't know about the anti telemetry apps people have made. And they don't work... Because the OS itself is HARDCODED to work as what any IT guy would call malware! Your machine is hooked up to Microsoft offices as a terminal via P2P networks, and all of the policy they have means that clicking the switch "off" button doesn't do jack <Mod Edit>. If people weren't such consumerist sheep we could've forced MS to back down from that steaming pile of <Mod Edit> for an OS. As for phones that's why you root them and only use them for what you need them for, not for putting your whole life into them, as so many people do.

Helicrom

Commendable
Dec 14, 2019
Yeah sounds like your experience is almost identical to mine. On really old games like AC Revelations is where I notice one or two dips in core clock here and there, but much more demanding games max out the load and I don't experience anything worth mentioning. Your clocking pretty high for a 580, what brand? I'm running a sapphire, curios to see if your OC is running stable?
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24113394
I have the gigabyte one.. stock is running at 1340/2000, its kinda cheap but for me its stable until i go above 1480, i can play some games at 1500 but as i said not stable at everything.. currently using 1450/2250 with some old drivers again, ryzen 2600 at 4150 and ram oc to 3400. I tried Shadow of the Tomb Raider benchmark ingame and i get 58fps in the end with max settings, but i noticed that every 5 sec there at some scenes i get a little fps drop and my screen " DIMS " anyone know what can cause that? its happening with full stock pc and oc, doesnt change and it happends in all loading screens in my games, my screen just dims like brightness changes for a sec..