[SOLVED] AMD and Nvidia Driver Installed at same time?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
Sometimes I like to swap my gfx cards from one machine to another. Or test older ones in a newer machine... or vice-versa. Both AMD and Nvidia. Is there any reason I have to uninstall the previous driver? Can I just install the driver for the card in question and go with that? If for example, I swap out my Nvidia card for an AMD card, the Nvidia driver won't load anyway, right?

Solution
You can try it, and if it works with no issues, why not leave them both installed. Just know it is not recommended, and even if it appears to be working, there might be small issues that appear now and again. Maybe not with both GPUs either, but only one might have an issue. If you do decide to keep both drivers installed together, any time you have any issue with the PC, whether it seems GPU related or not, uninstall all the drivers except for the GPU you are actually using.
You can try it, and if it works with no issues, why not leave them both installed. Just know it is not recommended, and even if it appears to be working, there might be small issues that appear now and again. Maybe not with both GPUs either, but only one might have an issue. If you do decide to keep both drivers installed together, any time you have any issue with the PC, whether it seems GPU related or not, uninstall all the drivers except for the GPU you are actually using.

Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
You gave me an idea. Next time I run with both drivers I'll have to check and see if both drivers are shown in Device Manager. If so, would it help any if I were to temporarily "disable" the driver I'm not using?

Windows has been smart enough to use multiple video cards since... I daresay Windows 95 (because Voodoo cards required a 2D card as well). But otherwise, Windows XP is probably a better point to start at.

In any case, I'm also using a laptop that has an AMD iGPU with an NVIDIA GPU and they play nicely. I also in the past had Intel systems where I used the iGPU as a secondary monitor interface because at the time there was an issue with video cards being unable to go down to idle clocks if you had a high refresh monitor plugged in.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Nvidia used to sabotage their drivers to prevent AMD users from installing one of their cards as a PhysX card, because they wanted to limit the technology to users who use only their cards. I'm not sure if they're still playing that game, but removing all old video drivers when installing a new card is always a good idea.