AMD Announces Dual-Vega Radeon Pro V340 Card With 32GB of ECC HBM Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool professional and datacenter card. Cannot be more ready for Navi and the next GPU architecture from AMD though, seeing what NVIDIA does (and really what most companies would do) in the face of little competition.

Rexer

Distinguished
Lol. Didn't we just see an Nvidia 2080 or (likewise gpu) come out of the secret closet? To me, this has yet to see if it'll have an effect on the GPU market. I'd love to see ah $350.00 Vega64 and a $350 1080ti on the market (probably never happen that way buy who can stop hoping)? With crypo currency in a shortfall, we could see a purchasing advantage for a short time.

Rexer

Distinguished

Yeah. Competition. Can't be a bad thing. It's when they collaborate and monopolize the market that's really frightening. Hope AMD does well. Hope Nvidia and AMD get their trolls, flunkies and fanboys. Spec captains or not, when one company thrives the prices rise.

Co BIY

Splendid
The old (Client-server computing) is new again (VDI, cloud-based).

Interesting that video compression is touted. Is this targeted at something like a Youtube server farm ?

To be fair Turing is a pretty massive change to the GPU. It has dedicated hardware to finally utilize real time ray tracing. How effective that is will be seen but even without hard competition they pushed something quite innovative out.

What is being affected though are GPU prices. If it isn't the Crypto mining craze pushing some GPUs to new heights of cost (the Vega 64 was more than a GTX 1080ti) its not enough competition from one side to push MSRP higher.

Personally I think I will wait till Navi and whatever 7nm refresh nVidia plans to do. Might be cheaper cards that give better performance by then. I think my 1080 will hold out sell enough till then.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

I don't expect a $350 retail 1080ti, but you'll be able to get a good price on a used one when people who need the best card available upgrade to the 2080ti. For 1080p gaming, there may not be much of an advantage moving to the 2080ti, but 4K gamers and VR enthusiasts will be upgrading.

blinnbanir32

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
There is a general dislike for Vega in the Tech community, some quote price, some qoute heat and some are just as negative about Vega as they are positive for Ryzen. As much as we like to be whelmed about AMD cards the fact of that matter is they are relevant in the lexicon of computer gaming. Look at it this way I just bought a Asus RX 570 Strix card for 249.99 and I get 3 free games, Assasins Creed Odyssey and 2 others that I don't remember at the moment. with the value of the games I am paying an aggregate $109 for a solid 1080P card.

... AND some are just negative because it's AMD and not NVidia. (to be fair it goes the other way too.)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Up-voted for expanding my lexicon. It never occurred to me that "whelmed" might be a word. I'd only seen "overwhelmed" and "underwhelmed" (slang).

However, I think it should be "whelmed by" or perhaps "whelmed with", as you're using "whelmed" as an analogy to being drenched (i.e. with water).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I think it's basically two Vega 64's on a single PCIe card. Functionally, it's probably almost identical to having two Vega 64 cards in your PC, except this one surely runs at a lower clock speed.

They did say their 7 nm Vega will have 32 GB of HBM2 on a single GPU, and it's to launch later this year. Keep your eyes peeled for that! It won't be cheap, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.