AMD Announces New Elite Quad-Core A4-1350 APU

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzz_b

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
"A4-1350 packs AMD's A4-1350..." really??? I though it hasn an A7 chip inside :O
Also, firts paragraph has 3W and second paragraph 8W.
Do you proof read your articles?

G

Looks to be comparable to a 5450, very impressive when you think about it. I'd be happy with a cheap tablet with this installed. Especially with Windows.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

3W estimated (i.e. like Intel's Scenario Design Power), 8W Thermal Design Power.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Adverts? AMD? Surely some mistake? :p

I imagine that the bandwidth offered inside the two consoles will let those Jaguar cores stretch their legs and outpace any PC variant of Kabini (with the possible exception of the A6-5200's in lightly threaded tasks). So, it'd be mismarketing anyway.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

TDP and Power Draw aren't exactly the same thing. TDP is for cooling purposes. Basically, the cooler used on the A4-1350 has to be able to dissipate 8W of heat.

alextheblue

Distinguished

The A6-1450 has turbo (on CPU and GPU clocks). The A4-1350 does not. However, the A4-1350 does have twice the L2 cache. The A4-1350 is meant to fill the gap between the turbo-capable A6-1450 and the dual-core A4-1250.

Bottom line the A4-1350 gives tablet makers more optiions (in terms of cost). I'd take a budget Jaguar-powered tablet. To me the more interesting chip is the A4-1200 because of the lower power consumption and TDP. It's only dual core and still clocked at 1Ghz, but due to IPC improvements it will still outpace the older Z-60 while eating a bit less power.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Stop these announcements of the low-power chips and show us benchmarked/reviewed products already. I'm very curious how these will go up against the bay trail atom line.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
seriously AMD, these APU are great but the performance problem on these APU isnt the quad core itself, but the single threaded performance of the CPU. A faster single core or dual would be much better than quad core. This is from me a E350 zacate user.

alextheblue

Distinguished

Your E-350 uses Bobcat cores. These new APUs all use Jaguar cores. Jag cores provide roughly 15% higher IPC (sometimes more). Meaning, at the SAME clock speeds, it's 15% faster in single threaded applications. On top of this, they're more power efficient, and there are quad core models. The upper models even support DDR3 1600 now, which is pretty good for such a small, lightweight chip.

Single core performance is becoming increasingly irrelevant in the real world. Some reviews take perfectly good multithreaded software and run it on a single core to say "See! Look at this thing that would never actually happen in real usage of this software, but somehow is important still!". Just about anything that actually NEEDS more power at least sees moderate threading. Anything less demanding... well it already runs fine. There are a few exceptions to this, of course.

So final performance vs an equivalent Bobcat is often significantly better. For example, an A4-5000 has slightly better per-core performance (despite the slight clockspeed disadvantage), twice as many cores (and L2 cache), and faster memory support.

1066. This is a very low power model targeted at tablets. Higher speed memory would increase power requirements. Both the memory controller and the memory itself would chew up more power. That's why only they only offer the DDR3 1600 capability on (most of) the 15W+ models for larger devices.

Strangely enough, the A4-1250 does support 1333. Pretty good for this power range, although that's only a two core model.

Edit: I saw a 15" laptop on Newegg with an A4-5000 on sale for $330. That's not bad. Not very long ago, a similar E-350 laptop cost that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS