AMD Announces R9 285 Graphics Card At Live Event

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is having "support" for dx12 the same as enabling dx12 features?
Although i often wonder what defines support/features for newer versions of dx since shaders/cuda cores have been programmable for so long, shouldnt it just be a matter of updating the driver to support new dx features?

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
People seem to miss the point of this card. It's a mid-range card, that runs faster than the R9 280, slower than the 280X; but runs at 60 watts less than the R9 280. This isn't for people who want a top-end gaming card; this is the middle market, and for those who value efficiency.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Seems like i travel back in time when i read tomshardware news its always behind which isn't acceptable on a tech site

Did you travel back in time like 15 minutes then? This post was up immediately after the card was announced.

PandaButtonFTW

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I don't see actual memory bandwidth listed, maybe amd did some trickery like NVidia did with Maxwell, like increasing cache size? lets not complain about a card until we see benchies

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
only thing I see diff is the support of directx 12
Support for DX12 is kind of a big deal.

Just like DX11 was a "big deal"?

It doesn't matter what level of software that comes out, it's actually pushing developers to use said software technology. We've been stuck with DX9 games since it's inception with a few games tossed in here or there that actually support DX11 (mainly any game that's using CryEngine).

Junit151

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013

If people don't give a shit, developers will never adopt it. Luckily I am not alone in believing that pushing technology further is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.