AMD Announces Ryzen 5 Processors; $169 Four-Cores And $219 Six-Cores, Available April 11

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OfficialG3

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

???? are you joking or trolling or just plain stupid???? its based on the same x86_64 instruction set as any modern cpu ffs, im 100% confident it can run on linux or something that supports that

Yeah Linux runs fine on top of Ryzen. No idea why de_logics made that off the cuff statement. Can watch a video of Linux install / use on Ryzen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP9P2mwKHBo

vipero07

Prominent
Mar 22, 2017
I don't believe both of the 4 core variants are 2+2... it doesn't make much sense, especially since the 1400 has a smaller cache (8 instead of 16). The 1500X is likely 2+2 but the 1400 seems much more likely to be just one CCX. I believe (and I could be wrong) that the reduced cache misses on the 1400 could make it competitive with the intel i7 7700k at nearly half the price.

From all the available information you are likely wrong. AMD has confirmed they are trimming the cache to 8MB on the 1400 so it will still be 2 CCX's with disabled cores and trimmed cache.

InvalidError

Titan

AMD is using the same die for 4C8T, 6C12T and 8C16T because some of the dies will have one or more defective cores on them. As long as the dies with bad cores have no fatal defects, those bad cores can be disabled and AMD can re-sell those as lower core count chips. It also allows AMD to disable cores on otherwise perfectly good chips to meet demand for lower-end SKUs.

But defects can happen in the cache too and the L3 cache accounts for more die area than the cores themselves, so it would be reasonable to assume that AMD will have a fair number of dies with L3 defects and would want to monetize those somehow as well, hence the R7-1400X with only 8MB of L3.

ms5555

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a bit more performance or cheaper prices. If you don't overclock, the 1500x looks closest to an i5-7500 and the i5 is only $15 more and I suspect it'll still whoop ryzen in gaming benchmarks if the ryzen 7s are anything to go on. Overclocking is probably the only thing that can save it since i5 k's are a premium price + no stock cooler, you're looking at an extra $60+ over the non k models. If ryzen 5s can oc to over 4ghz on stock cooler and be stable, then that might justify it. I was really hoping to get something with 4 cores 3.5ghz+ for under $160 though.

^ I think you're missing the point that the ryzen r5 are hyper threaded so you're really talking a weaker IPC i7 non k competitor.

The straight quads are the r3 range which look to be starting at $129.

InvalidError

Titan

Based on how few people are managing to push the R7-1800X much beyond 4GHz even with high-end cooling and high-end motherboards, 4+GHz with the stock HSF on the R5 seems highly unlikely.

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Game performance doesn't scale up linearly with core count. I think there's more than a decent chance that the Ryzen 5 series can put out comparable gaming performance to Ryzen 7, which is more than competitive with core i5 (beating it soundly in some benches, losing in others, but often winning in terms of minimum frames or smoothness if nothing else).

If that is the case, then Ryzen 5 will be essentially a gaming i5 that multitasks as well or better than an i7 (four core). Hard to pass up that deal. I suspect AMD has achieved a lot more than a lot of gaming-focused internet commenters realize.

InvalidError

Titan

Thanks to DRAM compatibility tweaks in the BIOS and microcode enabling people to run Ryzen at 3200-3600MT/s memory bandwidth, the R7 is overtaking the i7-7700k in many more gaming benchmarks than it did at launch. I'm surprised that AMD apparently didn't see the CCX fabric bottleneck coming or underestimated it so much.

OfficialG3

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

so basically amd is re-living intel's old C2Q concept with 1 die but with more cores crammed to it ?

InvalidError

Titan

One CPU substrate (package) with two dies on it. The first dual-core P4 (Pentium D) were also built in a similar way.

In the P4/C2Q days, the dies were interconnected by sharing the FSB like a dual-socket system would. I wonder what sort of interconnect there would be between two R7-like dies to create that 16C32T chip. Getting sufficient bandwidth to avoid cross-die bottlenecks will require a lot more than sacrificing a handful of PCIe/USB/SATA ports. I guess that could be what the areas of what looks like a high density of small IO macros are for in the middle of the bottom edge on Ryzen's die image. Flip the die 180 degrees and it looks like a block of out ports lined up with the other die's in ports with a single control macro in the middle for the whole thing, unlike the PCIe/GPIO macros on opposite corners which have a control block for every 2/4 lanes.

OfficialG3

Reputable
Sep 7, 2014

soo ryzen is 2 dies in 1 package ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS