News AMD Announces Ryzen 7000X3D Pricing: $449 to $699 Starting Feb 28th

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
My problem with these cache heavy X3D CPU is that benefits are extremely game specific.

There are games that are helped tremendously by more cache because they have data intensive algorithms that are CPU bound.

But there are are also many games that don't benefit from this at all.

And since I have no idea if the games I currently play, or will even play in the near future, will benefit from this, it's just a gamble.

Last edited:
Reactions: KyaraM
What a strange product line to try and price....
The vcache only really benefits games. The 7800X3D is best poised to take advantage of it, much like the 5800X3D. The higher tier options won't win because of more cores, but only really the additional cache/frequency.
So you have this non-linear performance transition from gaming to productivity where AMD has to hope that there's a lot of high-tier productivity-focused consumers out there buying their own hardware and gaming after hours....pretty niche I bet.
This essentially makes the 7800X3D the cash-cow that has to pay for the majority of the product stack, so you know value will be terrible.

PEnns

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
$699? $599???

For the sake of Pete, can't those bean counters at AMD learn one stupid lesson and do something smart for once?? Especially after the DDR 5 debacle.

How about reducing the price of those new CPUs by 20 % ,which most likely will result in higher sales volume - which will more than make up for the slightly lower price?????

They seem to have graduated from the "Let me shoot myself in the foot - REPEATEDLY" college!!

$699? $599???

For the sake of Pete, can't those bean counters at AMD learn one stupid lesson and do something smart for once?? Especially after the DDR 5 debacle.

How about reducing the price of those new CPUs by 20 % ,which most likely will result in higher sales volume - which will more than make up for the slightly lower price?????

They seem to have graduated from the "Let me shoot myself in the foot - REPEATEDLY" college!!
One thing is for sure. AMD is pretty high on their horse ever since the 5000 series launch. Best to wait 6 months for price to fall by >30% off launch seems to be the trend they're setting for themselves.

What matter now is what the actual street price end up. Even if the 7800x3d comes in at a similar price to the 13700k it is going to have to have much better numbers in gaming since the 13700k will likely massively beat it on any benchmark that can not take advantage of the new cache.
The 7900x is already just barely faster than the 13700k and you wouldn't think they would allow the 7800x3d to outperform the 7900x for $100 less.
Then you have the issue of total costs for people that aren't willing to pay the extra for ddr5 memory and motherboards.

I am not real surprised I guess to really win they would need 13700k performance but still sell it for 5800x3d prices. Maybe it will they both have the same MSRP :)

Reactions: KyaraM and Why_Me

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Prices are inline for performance. Should stomp Intel on the titles that benefit from the cache. Plus it'll allow for reasonable "sale" prices.

AMD knows these prices will have to come down in the next few months to keep sales high. Start em high and drop em down. Early adopter tax just like every other high end bleeding edge piece of gaming hardware.

With people still paying out the nose for 4090's & XTX's, these will sell like hotcakes and hopefully bring another round of discounts to the 5800x3d.

With Intel planning on using TSMC for chip production this year it'll be interesting if they can use the 3d stacking cache as well... Would be nice to keep the competition across all the chip specializations. Close competition = fair prices & motivated R&D.

Last edited:
They're high for my taste, but at least should drive the prices of the X and non-X parts down even more.

I'd tell people to just wait for them to go on sale or* have good bundles with other hardware components.

Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgentBirdnest
You are talking as if AMD has an infinite amount of CPUs to sell, but they only have that many and they have to make money, money to be able to pay TSMC for the next batch of CPUs, money for the R&D of the next gen, money to stay afloat.
With Intel planning on using TSMC for chip production this year it'll be interesting if they can use the 3d stacking cache as well... Would be nice to keep the competition across all the chip specializations. Close competition = fair prices & motivated R&D.
Link or it didn't happen.
Intel is using TSMC for years now for chipmaking, but only for GPUs and secondary stuff, it's extremely unlikely that they will ever use TSMC for CPUs.

Also intel has foveros and doesn't need a different stacking tech.

The equivalent of Vcache for intel is called CPU max.
newsroom-max-series-wallpaper.png.rendition.intel.web.1920.1080.png

64GB of ram right on the chip.

There are three modes the chips can run in. One will be that there can be HBM Only, where no DIMM slots are populated. That limits memory capacity to 64GB per CPU but saves the power and cost of DDR5 as an offset. The HBM Flat mode treats HBM seperate from DDR memory giving a fast and a slower tier of memory. Finally, there is HBM Caching mode where data is cached in the HBM memory and that is transparent to the host.

It won't show up on desktop for a while is my guess, but sooner or later it will trickle down.
The Max Series GPU is Intel’s highest density processor, packing over 100 billion transistors into a 47-tile package with up to 128 gigabytes (GB) of high bandwidth memory.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...roducing-intel-max-series-product-family.html

simfreak101

Honorable
Nov 3, 2017
sigh, another month to wait; I have all the parts waiting in my computer room for my new build except the cpu, cpu water block and gpu.... I might break down and just get a non 3d if magically a bunch of asus 4090's show up; but it doesn't seem that is likely either.

baboma

Prominent
Nov 3, 2022
I doubt AMD would be making these X3D units in any appreciable volume, that it'd need to drop prices down the road. There is no competitive pressure to markdown the X3D, as Intel doesn't have an equivalent. The only reason to drop pricing is to move inventory, and if there's no inventory to speak of, then no markdown.

The 5800X3D largely maintained its MSRP from release (April '22) to Black Friday, only dropping a small percentage in the months before,

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B09VCJ2SHD

This was after the 7000X release, with the life-cycle of the 5000 series coming to an end. Extrapolating this to the 7000X3D, EOL won't happen until the 8000 series comes out, which is probably at least a year away.

In short, if you're waiting on the X3D to drop price before buying, don't.

The X3D's high pricing is understandable, as its main goal isn't to sell in large volume. As with Intel's KS chip, the X3D line is intended as a halo product, to allow AMD to claim the "best gaming CPU" throne, thereby boosting the Ryzen brand. It's intended to win benchmarks and bragging rights.

The X3D's intended audience are deep-pocketed gamers who are willing to pay for "best-everything," as games are GPU-bound for the vast majority of cases, and "best gaming CPU" is rarely needed. This demo isn't price-sensitive, so pricing these lower would be leaving money on the table. "Value" gamers need not apply.

hannibal

Distinguished
These are much cheaper than I was expecting!
Good buy to those who need gaming spead. Those who needs productivity should buy non X or X versions based on what they do and most people should buy the non X variants!

But to gamer who want to have the best of the best. These are the CPUs you are looking for! I did buy 5800x3D for my end solution of AM4 and have been more than happy with it! Some CPU and memory intensive games are really flying with this! Is this good buy… Well normal 5800x would have been, much much cheaper. But for me the money was worth of it.

Ofcourse these are more expensive than non v-cache versio! These use stacked cache. More expensive to produce. These also are halo highend gaming CPUs that has the downside that they are not so good at productivity tasks. And when comparing 5800x and 5800x3D… these 7000 series v-cache versions are bargain!

Last edited:

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
My problem with these cache heavy X3D CPU is that benefits are extremely game specific.

There are games that are helped tremendously by more cache because they have data intensive algorithms that are CPU bound.

And since I have no idea if the games I currently play, or will even play in the near future, will benefit from this, it's just a gamble.

Meanwhile, apps other than games benefit greatly from the X3D cache:

https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-5800x3d-linux

Well, I guess there will be some interesting benchmark around Feb 28.
Thats all I can do with tech lately, read and watch benchmarks lol.
The lack of stock, the high prices, and our salaries, where I live, make it really difficult to buy new stuff.

At least my old classical guitar doesn't need electricity and strings are not that horrible bad priced. And every day that pass, it only sounds better and better.

saunupe1911

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2016
These are much cheaper than I was expecting!
Good buy to those who need gaming spead. Those who needs productivity should buy non X or X versions based on what they do and most people should buy the non X variants!

But to gamer who want to have the best of the best. These are the CPUs you are looking for! I did buy 5800x3D for my end solution of AM4 and have been more than happy with it! Some CPU and memory intensive games are really flying with this! Is this good buy… Well normal 5800x would have been, much much cheaper. But for me the money was worth of it.

Ofcourse these are more expensive than non v-cache versio! These use stacked cache. More expensive to produce. These also are halo highend gaming CPUs that has the downside that thet are not so good at productivity tasks. And when comparing 5800x and 5800x3D… these 7000 series v-cache versions are bargain!

But the 3D version match the X versions in clock speeds and cores so productivity should be equal.

So $150 for 4 more cores going from the 7800 to 7900? Great math there amd.
The much larger factor is the clock speed especially the boost clocks. Now what everyone is waiting to see is how they manage to pull this off. The rumor is the cores that can do the high boost do not have the 3d memory where all the cores on the 7800 have 3d memory.
So now how does the OS or whatever know what application need cores with the memory and which do better with the higher clock. Almost going to need some menu that lets the user define this.

The 7900x3d is only $50 more than the 7900x but the 7900x sells for much less than MSRP

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i am still VERY amused at the blind bias toward intel all over this forum.

when the 5000 series was hitting, all we saw was "yah but you can get ddr5 with intel" then the 7000 series came out and it's "yah but you can get ddr4 with intel"

when intel cpu's hit stupid high power draw and kept going higher, creating the need for expensive cooling and mobo's it was " yah but i only care about game performance and price does not matter"

7000 series got much closer to 200w+ than ever before, despite intel having been well above that for years and it was "that's crazy who wants a space heater...."

now we're getting new X3D chips which have shown impressive gaming gains and of course we're back to "yah but not everyone only cares about games" well then how about you don't buy the gaming centered upgrade and move on then.....

the 7000 series prices came down much faster than i expected or have seen before for a new gen chip. i'd expect a couple months to allow for those quick to pull the trigger to pay the early adopter tax and then we'll see some nice discounts. so grab it day 1 and pay the tax, or wait a couple months and enjoy the discount :)

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008

I think that the main pratfall with the 5800X3D was that for games that took advantage of the cache, it was the fastest CPU, but because its base and boost clocks were slower than a regular 5950 or 5900, it would suffer for anything that didn't.

The base and boost clocks are almost identical this time out, so there shouldn't be any downside to this versus a normal equivalent 7xxx series.