AMD Announces the R9 280 Graphics Card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

that's why some people expecting this mining craze might not be good for AMD in the long run.

isn't that what AMD always do? make their faster cards compete with nvidia slower card at the same price. recent example R7 265 vs GTX750 Ti

the problem is when the mining craze cools down the miner will dump those cards into used market. if that happen AMD will have hard time to sell newer cards. also AMD to blow away maxwell? not that i hate AMD or something but just look what they do to 290X just to beat Titan. before thinking on beating maxwell they should think about how they can do what maxwell can with 28nm node first

Except that's not happening with the R9 280. At $280 it's now more expensive than the GTX 760, a card that marginally edges out the 280/7950. The only thing a 280 will do notably better than a 760 is compute.

The only way an R9 280 will sell is if you can get it around $230 or less ( meaning for typical gamers, not coin miners. )

InvalidError

Titan

Unfortunately, market prices are dictated by offer and demand and GPU demand does not discriminate between gaming and mining. If miners say the $230 graphics card is worth $320 for Scrypt mining and miners hog most of the GPU supply for that particular model, its market price will be stuck at ~$320 until miners are done with it.

Right, which is why I was talking from a gaming perspective, not mining. I'm just saying that even though the other AMD cards' street price is high due to demand, the actual MSRP of them hasn't changed ( so far as I know. ) That's why it surprises me why AMD has suggested the $280 price from the get-go, not the lower price that more accurately fits within their portfolio.

InvalidError

Titan

I'm not surprised: AMD and their AIB partners likely want to partake in the retailers' inflated margins so AMD probably gave themselves and their partners a bigger margin allowance in their suggested retail prices than they usually do.

As for not changing MSRPs, manufacturers rarely do that anyway. Those are merely a pricing reference to get a general idea of what a normal retail price is expected to be. Usually, by the time R&D, tooling and all other costs specific to setting up production of a given product are fully amortized over sales, the model is being discontinued so there is no point in bothering with updating the MSRP.

TempAccount007

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
I bought a 7950 for $180 last October. I returned it because the ASIC was too low :DI sold my 280x last week for $430 and upgraded to a gtx 780 for aound $40. Im new to PC gaming and the mining craze meant that AMD lost a future customer to Nvidia because I tried them and like them.

avjguy2362

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
I think AMD needs to market one R9 card specifically for the miners! They should make something of a snake oil feature, an ultra high frequency coin flaminizer, that makes it more optimized for their usage ( "COULD make...UP TO... 500% more coinage" ) and that way the rest of the R9 cards would be less desirable and hopefully the price would come down. AMD didn't cause this problem, NewEgg and capitalism did! Damn Capitalists! In the long run this will be better for NVidia simply because a lot of AMD gamers are going to switch to NVidia and be content and they won't likely come back as long as NVidia keeps making great cards that don't break.

You sound like a Communist.

And AMD is no less for the profits than any other company.

InvalidError

Titan

GPU-mining bitcoins is not cost-effective. I'm guessing GPU miners are migrating to Litecoin or other Scrypt-based currencies where FPGAs and ASICs won't help anywhere near as much due to Scrypt being memory-intensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.