AMD Announces Two New Professional Graphics Accelerators

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

30bit color? how is this an improvement over the common 32bit color that every monitor has?

G

30 bits per color is the same as 120 bits per pixel. 32 bits per pixel is only 8 bits per color (red, green, blue, alpha). They don't make it very clear, but that's what they mean by 30 bit color, a massive improvement...

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
@Bobucles --> 32 color RGBA @8bit, 30 bit color RGB @10bit. Anyone remember how to edit registry in Windows 95 so that the color diplay is 96 bit? :D

[citation][nom]composer777[/nom]30 bits per color is the same as 120 bits per pixel. 32 bits per pixel is only 8 bits per color (red, green, blue, alpha). They don't make it very clear, but that's what they mean by 30 bit color, a massive improvement...[/citation]
Actually, what they mean is RGB @ 10 bits per sub pixel. So called 32 bit is actually only 8 bit per sub pixel.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
...that should underscore AMD’s leadership in graphics.

I missed the day when they became the leader in graphics...
Constant driver problems, glitches in every card to date and
generally unstable cards. The only thing they had going were onboard graphics, and I'm talking about the older products, such as the ati rage.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i think both intel and amd , shoyuld build a chip set that lets you turn off/ on some of the cores from the bios , many older game bug out on multi core processors (i have several old games taht do namely my favorite old game far cry) that way i could shut down teh extra cores for palyign older games , and tehn jsut turn them back on for newer games [/citation]
Or,completely turn them off when they are not needed according to core usage..*looks blatantly at phenom and conroe quad cores*

midkemia

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
demonhorde665 - Ctrl+Alt+Del and set affinity for app to disable CPU's
Nightlight - Ati have had the upperhand in mid+low end graphics for about 1-2 years, Now since the 4850, 4870, 4870X2 they have low+mid+high end of graphics cards

I must agree, my next PC, will have an intel CPU and an Ati graphics card, as AMD cant compete against the 3Ghz 45nm Intel CPU!! oh well

johnnyxp64

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]I missed the day when they became the leader in graphics... Constant driver problems, glitches in every card to date andgenerally unstable cards. The only thing they had going were onboard graphics, and I'm talking about the older products, such as the ati rage. [/citation]

LOL yea you Missed it indeed!

Since AMD/ATI launced the 4800series and the skandal with nvidia bad G84 G86 GPUs come true , AMD/ATI sales like crazy and their cards outperform all nvidia curent cards at the same price and more!

the driver problems was last year, and the last 1month things got really stable! i had once a 9800Pro hercules, back then Ati was king, then they run out of money and things gone really bad, by releasing great cards but delayed and nvidia was killing her.

Now Ati is Back for Good! 4800series is a killing machine, not temp and noise issues, not Power hangry cards and ambilivable Fast and greater in architect than geforce! and all those with sometimes even 50% less money!!

so plz next time you post read the NEWS!

johnnyxp64

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
and those words are comming from me a guy that owened
gf256
gf2 ti
gf3 ti
gf4 4800
radeon 9800pro
gf 6800gt
gf 7800gt
radeon x1950Pro
gf 8800gt (3cards cause all was cocking machines)
now Radeon 4850 Toxic Overcloaced+Zalman

so i have a good expir with Nvidia Cards. an i am telling you ATI/AMD is winning the battle again!

Over the CPU areas, time will tell..i think they will be back again.
after all HyperTrasport is proved to be way more Fast than the FSB technology! and Intel is copying AMD and HT technology with thier new CPU models, they abandon FSB.

so my money is again in AMD in the next 1-2 years will give us a phenomenal FAST multiCore CPU. Cheap and Energy friendly.

killian101

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
FireGL have always been top notch. Most of the time, the mid range cards are far better then anything Nvidia quattro card can come up with...and a lot cheaper. I used put these in CAD workstations for years. The older AGP cards, are till a lot better then most

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
What i want to see is AMD/ATi Actually post a profitable quarter and with the graphics cards they have been putting out, that just might finally happen. That should drastically improve market share for ATI since some companies wont deal with companies in the red leaving nvidia as the only choice. I cant wait to see what they do with these great cards and their upcoming support for opencl. especially with these specialty "professional" accelerator cards. hopefully they can roll this success into their cpu department and really nock it out of the park on the next architecture generation

heoaheoa

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Alright i'm really confused, how come tom's hasn't reviewed the 4870 x2 yet? anand reviewed it back on july 14th. what gives? That is almost a month ago.

anhe64

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
"underscore AMD’s leadership in graphics"

nvidia's g280 is still the fastest gpu around; nvidia holds 90% of the workstation market. Doesn't sound like AMD has leadership here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.