AMD Announces World's First x86 Quad-Core System-on-Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
"AMD said it'll deliver 100 percent graphics processing performance when compared to the firm's previous Hondo chips."
So the same performance as Hondo?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
They are late, but I think this one summarizes it better than some other sites I have seen. Kudos to AMD... If only their marketing department could demonstrate that these awesome SOCs exist and their benefit to potential consumers...

G

Didn't Intel announce a quad core SoC for the next ATOM? Maybe AMD's will come out first and that is what they are saying.

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
im expecting to see AMD rise with the help from his ARM partners, mean while il remain buying their products for my low end-htpc-mid end builds. GO AMD Go!.

PS: im not a fanboy i just don't like to see intel going mono like anyone here and anyway i sell pc's with APU's and FX 6300 like hot cakes...there so much to pick but people just ask me for those and i5 for more high end builds xD

PS2: excuse my bad english.

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]JAYDEEJOHN[/nom]Announcing and having, two different things[/citation]

They do already have them. Benchmarks have been shown and they are being shipped to partners.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
amd has one big strength... and it is intel's weakness, when they purchased ati and now under amd they are making great low tdp graphic chipsets. with the soc integration they might have a market they cna dominate due to having better graphics than intel and since nvidia does not have a x86 lic they have no graphics competition unless via comes up with somethign out of left field this might be amd's big break

AncientNoob

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]AMD Fuc% intel and other competidor ahmm ? whats upppppppppppp[/citation]
Smartest thing I read all day

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Fokissed[/nom]"AMD said it'll deliver 100 percent graphics processing performance when compared to the firm's previous Hondo chips."So the same performance as Hondo?[/citation]

I'm glad someone said it.

This site is not only over a day late, but the writing is atrocious. In virtually every article I see very poor writing, whether it be grammatical mistakes, awkward phraseology, or mistakes that convey incorrect information (like the example you pointed out).

There's just no excuse for such poor writing. They need to find a new editor, the current one sucks.

G

Zak Islam is Dyslexic and he "bytes" the "Big One".

Horrible writing, duse.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
SoC designs are the future of central computing chip technology. Smart phones and tablets have already incorporated SoC technolgoy in recent years. I mean AMD and Intel already show some eliments of an SoC on their x86 cpus now with their APU's that combined the gpu and cpu onto one core structure. So it's just the next logical step that x86 cpus will be full blown SoC's in the near future with cpu, gpu, audio, device controllers etc all being intergrated onto one central computing circut to cut manufacture cost and to reduce power consumption.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I am not entirely happy with quad core. Brazos 2.0 are weak on IPC. They should have improve the IPC, not doubling the cores.

We still need a low power Core 2 duo/Athlon X2 replacement. Not some underpowered IPC quad core.

[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]I am not entirely happy with quad core. Brazos 2.0 are weak on IPC. They should have improve the IPC, not doubling the cores. We still need a low power Core 2 duo/Athlon X2 replacement. Not some underpowered IPC quad core.[/citation]

The article says that Kabini is supposed to be around 50% greater performance than Brazos 2.0. The Temashi models are probably for lower power markets than Brazos 2.0 rather than higher performance.

As for what those performance numbers translate into for performance per core, IDK, but the article isn't really conclusive on that, so I wouldn't pass judgement just yet.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I hope that 50% improvement isnt come from the extra 2 cores. Still, even with all that, they shouldnt even bother getting quad core version out. Would prefer another even higher IPC/higher clock dual core over quad core.

The tablet apps are mostly still dual core optimized, so even porting over to x86 is likely to dual core only.

bitmaiden

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Quad core x86 SoC? I think AMD is fearing the power of ARM processors on tablets and smartphones. I see this announce more as a marketing to call the attention than something that can have a real improvement on current systems.

archange

Distinguished
May 7, 2007
We need these SoCs NOW! AMD has to recover some serious lost ground...
Chips should have been in Win8 tablets and Ultrathins with OEMs for at least 4 months now. Whenever I hear of Surface Pro I keep thinking it should have been AMD's teritory...

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
[citation][nom]bitmaiden[/nom]Quad core x86 SoC? I think AMD is fearing the power of ARM processors on tablets and smartphones. I see this announce more as a marketing to call the attention than something that can have a real improvement on current systems.[/citation]
AMD doesn't have any reason to fear ARM, they have already purchased an ARM license to make their own ARM processors. Also, AMD and ARM, along with the main companies that create ARM based processors have all opened a software foundation together to create a standard for software that will be optimized for the kind of hardware ARM and AMD having been moving towards.

[citation][nom]bitmaiden[/nom]Quad core x86 SoC? I think AMD is fearing the power of ARM processors on tablets and smartphones. I see this announce more as a marketing to call the attention than something that can have a real improvement on current systems.[/citation]

Expanding on what kenjitamura said, AMD is simply announcing a new prouduct... People kep saying that AMD/Intel announcing new low power products is out of fear of ARM. Why? This has absolutely nothing to do with fear. It's business. You don't let huge markets go without attention, especially once you see that they have such potential. Mobile markets are where the money is at by now compared to the less mobile markets such as desktops that have been waning.

If AMD and Intel ignored this, then they could run themselves out of business within the next decade or two. That'd be stupid. Even if ARM wasn't around, they'd still have to recognize the phone/tablet/ultra-portable markets for what they are: pretty much the next big things for markets in general computing.

Status
Not open for further replies.