AMD Approved??????

G

I recently bought a case that i will be building my new athlon system in, I was already planning on which powersupply i was going to buy, when the case just happend to come with one already in it, 300watt but i do not know what brand it is, it has more of a symbol than an actual name so i do not know if it is amd approved, the store said they have set up athlons using it before, but i dont know if they were just saying that or not,

Main Question, will a non amd approved power supply 300watt, work with an amd athlon processor or should i go out and get a new one

the reason i ask is i only paid 45 bucks for the case plus power supply (canadian dollars) and a new powersupply is going to set me back about 70 bucks (canadian) seems a shame to not use this ps i already have.

thanks ahead of time and if anyone is using a powersupply that isnt amd approved and its working fine let me know.

G

Yes it'll work. AMD approved just means it's guaranteed to work.

I have a 250 watt PS, works fine with my 'new' Duron.

G

Close to any 300w power supplies should work just fine with an Athlon, even with a decent video card. Just don't try to supercharge an eMachine with one :)

I think that mine is approved, but I don't remember for sure.

Sounds like you got a smokin' deal on the case and ps! If the case is on the smallish side you might want to consider reinvesting a bit of the money you saved, by adding an additional fan or something. Enjoy your new system!

Tom Mc

Even a fool, when he remains silent, appears wise.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
With AMDs, I would go for at least a 300w power supply. Not necessarily required, but my preference and recommendation.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Don't be fooled by the word "Whoever Approved" all bullshxt to non-tech customer only.

I had a
AMD Athlon 750Mhz O/C 1000Mhz
(1.85V settings gave 1.92V) From Asus A7V
72watts Peltier (12V * 6amp) + Water cool system dual fan
1 ATA66 HDD
1 ATA100 HDD
1 CD-rom
1 DVD-rom
3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 graphics
Sound

Everything running on a 200watts power supply. 100% Stable!

Want to know why? 200watts, 250 or 300 doesn't mean anything.

You need to see the actual [CURRENT] or [AMPERE] the mobo is capable of sucking from the PS and convert it to the CPU.

Of course if the PS cannot supply the MOBO even though the MOBO can suck then thats it, which is a simple bottleneck you can eliminate.

I think the MOBO takes the 3.3V from the PS and convert it into 1.xV for CPU so make sure the 3.3V voltage supply is strongly backed up by high currents and you will be sure when it is converted down to 1.xV then it has the current it needs to drive the current hungry CPU.

Best regards
cx5<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fcchin on 01/10/01 07:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS