[SOLVED] AMD APU cannot OC when official forums says it can.

Apr 5, 2020
I have absolutely no experience in the overclocking business, and run a very low and outdated laptop. Im really just trying to run CS:GO a bit smoother than 20 fps since i currently don't have any extra cash. So my problem is that on a few different articles, (Example: https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A6-6310-Notebook-Processor.115403.0.html ) it states that the clock speeds for the APU is 1.8ghz - 2.4ghz(OC). When I go into bios, i cant seem to find any tuning options or anything to do with overclocking. As i said, i have no experience with this sort of stuff, but my guess is that the motherboard is preventing it. Can anyone help me out with this and guide me alittle?

Specs: View: https://i.imgur.com/rMoBHDJ.png
(along with DDR3 1600Mhz 8gb ram)

Last edited:
Solution
An overclock and boost clock aren't the same thing. This just means that the CPU will go to 2.4 GHz when it's using a single core.

There's very little extra performance to wring out of this. We're talking about a 15W part that's used on very old, entry-level laptops. If 20 fps is what you're getting, you may squeeze out a couple extra frames with optimal settings, but not enough to actually make any kind of difference.

It's probably not what you want to hear since you're low on cash, but really, this is a problem that can only be resolved by better hardware.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
An overclock and boost clock aren't the same thing. This just means that the CPU will go to 2.4 GHz when it's using a single core.

There's very little extra performance to wring out of this. We're talking about a 15W part that's used on very old, entry-level laptops. If 20 fps is what you're getting, you may squeeze out a couple extra frames with optimal settings, but not enough to actually make any kind of difference.

It's probably not what you want to hear since you're low on cash, but really, this is a problem that can only be resolved by better hardware.

Solution
Apr 5, 2020

Alright, thank you for the response. Do you know any other methods that might be able to boost frames? Also, i should probably mention the computer was recently factory reseted.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Alright, thank you for the response. Do you know any other methods that might be able to boost frames? Also, i should probably mention the computer was recently factory reseted.

Other than making sure your drivers are up-to-date and that you're not running unnecessary programs in the background, there's not much to do. As I said, it's extremely unlikely you'll add more than a frame or two, and you may not add even that.