AMD APUs Get Better Proformance in Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyflinger

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Title as of right now reads "AMD APUs Get Better Proformance...." Kevin!!! Are you in Starbucks typing this up on your iPhone?

cklaubur

Distinguished
I think the graph comparing the APU to the Core i5-4670K may have been interpreted wrong in this article. If I understand the graph correctly, the APU has a 13% increase over the i5 on Basemark, a 46% increase in FireStrikeX, a 38% increase in FireStrike, and a 39% increase in the Extreme benchmark.

The numbers listed in the article implies that the APU used in the test has doubled performance over the i5 just with a driver update.

Casey

The articles wrong anyway. They are simple performance comparisons against the i5, not new increases from the drivers/changes. Those are mostly graphics tests and the APU's graphics were always superior to the i5.

For the last 10 years or so I have been a pretty big fan of Nvidia products, but all of this work with the CB1, and the Mantle project, and articles like this are really making me think that my next GPU will be an AMD one. Nvidia still has the hardware advantage, but they have been so self-absorbed developing their portable device and screen streaming technology that they are falling behind in the way of software support.

But then again I am still a solid year away from an upgrade, so maybe Nvidia will get it all figured out by then?

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

I also heard that those who buy a 6800k and Win 8.1 today will get a driver update that will reduce electricity bill by over 9000%, finally beating Intel in proformance / watt !! Buy now today !!

singemagique

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
I've been running a Llano A6-3670K in my HTPC for about a year and a half. It has been a great CPU with enough GPU power to do some lite gaming. I'm not sure I'll switch my desktop CPU to AMD any time soon but for an HTPC, sever, or general computing box the APUs are a steal.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
All those 100%+ increase numbers seen more then a little hard to believe. I guess they are possible...

More likely the person who wrote this article doesn't know the difference between saying something like "operates at 109% of the previous performance level" and "increases performance by 109%". Those are two drastically different statements.

friikazoid

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
I don't want to be negative, but Mr. Parish, you need to learn basics of percentages. There is NO 113% or 139% increase mentioned in any of the graphs or writing in the company blog. It's 113% or 139% benchmark score compared to a baseline 100% which is either the 6800 APU prior to windows optimization or the Core i5 for the graphics intensive tests. So these increases are in the range of single to double digit percentage increases. This article is written horribly.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Regardless, this shows that with proper cooperation between hardware and software you can achieve very, very good performance. It is a fact that AMD has not received as much attention when it comes to optimization as compared to Intel, mainly because Intel is a much bigger chip maker and so commands more attention. AMD could probably compete much better if it spent as much on optimization as Intel does.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
they are comparing a core i5 4xxx gpu that equaled around the same performance as the Llano's gpu to a Richland GPU, which was already much faster in most cases anyways. So this isn't a big surprise, But when it comes to cpu performance no amount of driver update is Richland going to match the Core i5 4xxx series.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I hadn't even heard of an A10-6790K before now. I do also happen to think that Intel iGPUs should theoretically perform better in Windows 8.1 under the same testing scenarios, but until there's an article on it, it's hard to know *hint hint*.

The A6-6400K is a poor match for the i3 4340 so kudos to AMD for not hiding that one.

On another note - AMD actually properly supports VCE now? It's not like it hasn't been around for two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.