AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ overheating and shutdown problem

Sep 1, 2018
CPU : AMD AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
Motherboard : Asus M2V MX SE
RAM : 2+1 GB DDR2
HDD : 160 GB Seagate
PSU : Hytech 400W-P4

Hi Team,

I have installed Windows 10 on the above Desktop config. Windows is working slow but is manageable. The issue is the temperate is around 100 degrees C from the time is start the desktop and load is around 100% on both. On mild use it doesn't get switch off. On even slightly heavy use it is getting off all of a sudden. I have tried cleaning the heat sink with vaccum cleaner and there is one addtional fan. The top cover is kept open to let the heat out. Can experts please help what should I do?

I also want to increase the RAM on this desktop. Can you please suggest which one should I buy and what is the maximum GB RAM I can go?

Solution
that is usualy true, but tim paste will wear off over years
it should be in its almost liquid form, over years due to dust/heat/air/whatever... it will get rock solid
also make sure that CPU heatsink is sitting properly
your CPU has max operating temperature of 73degrees
Sep 1, 2018
Hi Kerberos, thanks a lot for your answer. I viewed some videos on replacing the TIM paste and most of it says no substantial results are usually seen when we replace them. Do you think in my case it will bring down the temperature substantially?

Also for the RAM, what maximum can I go, do you have any idea?

that is usualy true, but tim paste will wear off over years
it should be in its almost liquid form, over years due to dust/heat/air/whatever... it will get rock solid
also make sure that CPU heatsink is sitting properly
your CPU has max operating temperature of 73degrees

Solution
Sep 1, 2018

What should I do then to reduce the temperature by 40-50 degrees including this ??? Do you suggest it will remain like this as this CPU is 10 years old and I should better go for an upgrade?

cwli1_

Notable
Mar 9, 2017
You should get some quiet 3-pin 22dB case fans from www.ebay.com Get a 3-pin splitter adapter so you can add more fans. With these fans in the case keep the case closed so the fans can work.

Your system is too old to upgrade. If you can build a PC get an am3+ motherboard with an AMD FX-6300 processor from Ebay. Get one set of 8Gb ddr3 1333mhz or 1866mhz RAM. For a pre-built PC see Ebay for “amd fx-6300 desktop pc”.

Try Ebay for Cooler Master tx3. It's a good processor cooler for 95W processors that uses copper heat pipes. It's much better than the stock cooler.

Sep 1, 2018
Changing the Grease and cleaning the CPU has put down the temperature to below 50 degrees.... Awesome !!!!!!!!

Have installed windows 8 and is working pretty smooth. Will upgrade RAM from 3 to 4 GB and should be better.

Thanks a lot team specially kerberos :)