AMD Athlon II X2 / Phenom II X2 And Low-Power CPU Bonanza

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lonewarder

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
To Chris Angelini,
If I could steal a minute of your time, man, I need your opinion on something. I currently have a 9950BE that only clocks to 3.0 and I wish to upgrade. I'm not satisfied yet with AMD's quad-core performance enough to buy one-so I'm gonna wait on the next generation.
My question is, would the 550BE (highly overclocked on my 790GX board) leave my current Phenom far behind at 1920x1080 w/AA? I just want to hard-core game for a while and not have to worry about it.
Sorry to bother you, but you are one of the few whose opinions I respect in the PC world. Thanks for your time.
(lonewarder@msn.com)

BufferUpchuck

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
I agree that both (all) bork their product naming. (auto mfrs do, too.)
eg (classic observation), why did intel give some pd2's higher #s than some c2d's? why prefix the dual's with "E", when quad's prefix is more mnemonic "Q"?
this article suggests amd is bouncing off existing names, scabbing in|on new letters, without considering long or medium-term product spectrum. i foresee support hell, caused by past-future-past-future name confusion. we all recall this with nvidia and ati.
regarding amd targeting "econo" buyers:
cheap end hardware has been berry berry good 4 me. i run lowend stuff for 8+ years. just buy at least halftower case, not the crippled sff shrunken case, and the pc will be decently upgradable (hdd, ram, opticals).

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
amd always seems to have better price per performance than intel. the only reason you'd really go with intel is if you want a cpu faster than the 955

Eric Lee Elliott

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Call me old or conservative or whatever you wish. I buy only AMD due to Intel spending $millions to stop makers, distributors & retailers from bringing AMD systems to market. Illegal trade practices = me no buy Intel. I write this on a Lenovo Intel on Intel system but will not again buy Intel. Slow or power hungry as AMD laptops may be, that is what I will buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.