AMD Athlon X4 880K trouble with thermal grease and bent pins

Oct 12, 2018
I have an issue with my CPU. I have removed it from my motherboarda while ago and I forced it too hard which resulted in a few bent pins and while handling it I got some thermal grease between pins and on the plastic surface of the cpu. My model is AMD Athlon X4 880K and the thermal paste is Arctic Silver 5. My question are: What is the easiest way to straighten my pins and What is the easiest way to get rid of all the thermal grease on the CPU? Note that the thermal paste can be seen easily but I cannot locate its exact location.

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Take a look at this thread. There are a number of different methods and guides that people have posted. Try the one that seems safest to you: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/311864-30-bent-socket-pins

As to the TIM stuck in the pins, your best bet is probably to flush it out with 91% alcohol. Get as much with a qtip soaked in alcohol as you can and then flush the rest. Make sure you properly dry it before sticking it back in.

Oct 12, 2018

I probably should have mentioned it, but there is legit no space between the pins. i can barely stick a toothpick between the pins so the qtips are ineffective. Any other tips? should I just flush it at this point?

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
Don't soak the whole cpu if possible. If you have a spray bottle with a stream setting, then use that on the affected areas. You can also try brushing it LIGHTLY with a brand new toothbrush. Failing that, just scrape it slowly and methodically with a toothpick. You really just need the pins to make good contact, so you don't really have to clean everything unless you are using TIM with capacitive particles like AS5.