Info AMD Black Screen / Freezing / Crash Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2019
Hi everyone,
After years of hearing about black screen issues with AMD cards, I finally experienced the issue myself when moving my AMD gpu over to a new Intel-based system. After a great deal of frustration and some serious in-depth research here are the things i tried first before fixing the problem myself. I knew in my heart that there was nothing wrong with the card, or any of the other pc components and I am so glad I finally found a fix for my situation. I feel like this information will help a LOT of people who are facing this issue and banging their head knowing there isn't anything wrong with their equipment, and yet it just keeps crashing.

Beginning: I set up a new system with an Intel processor on Windows 7, which I still prefer. While I was using the computer in 2D / desktop, it would randomly freeze or I'd get a black screen (sometimes with just the cursor). No blue screen, just the computer would take a dump and I'd have to restart. It would say the display driver crashed and restarted, or Wattman failed and reset. In 3D, that is when playing games I rarely experienced crashes and only when the game when idle. There are literally hundreds of threads about this issue on multiple forums, and I read all of them trying to find the cure. My girlfriend found it highly amusing that I'd go "ok I think it's finally fixed, now I can game." Then I'd be back at it reinstalling everything and replacing components.

Things I tried that everyone else tried too:
  • DDU cleaning in Safe Mode, installed every AMD driver version imaginable, legacy and brand new. 17.x drivers were more stable, but they still crashed. Problem not solved.
  • Reinstalled Windows 7. Started from various drivers from old to new. Problem not solved.
  • Adjusting TDR times in the registry, because the cause of the issue was the gpu not communicating with the OS fast enough and so Windows would restart the driver eventually. Helped, but still crashed.
  • Skipped AMD software, only installed the driver. Some people with black screens blame buggy AMD software. Didn't do a thing.
  • Moved to Windows 10. This time, I thought, for sure this will fix it. "Screw Windows 10 bloated nonsense, I don't care anymore, I just want this system to work." Excitedly installed Steam and... it crashed. To Windows 10's credit, it was a big improvement. The display driver would properly reset and I didn't have to restart. But still, when using Chrome or just in the desktop, the screen would flicker black and then things would sort of reset.
  • Switched between BIOS and UEFI. Nothing. Stuck with UEFI.
  • Used MSI Afterburner to boost voltages, undervolt, lower or raise memory speeds, underclock gpu. Adjusted fan curves, turned off ULPS. Didn't do anything really.

Thing that fixed it:
- I read a post from an old veteran PC tech guy in one of the black screen threads that was completely ignored by everyone. He said "make sure to follow the order of driver installation. Start with the basics, then move on to the addons, then to the peripherals. Act like you're doing incremental upgrades." So I pulled the 8 pins from my gpu, plugged in a VGA cable from the mobo's integrated graphics to my monitor. Booted up, used DDU to uninstall the AMD drivers completely. Restarted, googled the full Intel integrated graphics drivers package link for my processor and installed them. Restarted, checked Windows Update (in Win 10 now) and it automatically updated the intel gpu driver. Then I shut down, plugged the 8 pins back into the GPU, switched back over to the GPU video output, booted up and installed AMD's drivers. It's been a month now with no black screens.

Conclusion:
Although you might not think that you need the integrated drivers installed, you do. Somehow at some level the computer references the device in your processor and it screws everything up. I assume a whole lot of people just skip the integrated graphics installation and get this black screen issue at some point.

Reactions: tafit
Apr 7, 2019
hy guys i had the same problem and after trying a lot of fix's i checked the power settings in the control panel in cpu power management and found that the minimum processor state is at 100% i changer the value to 50% but it should be less then that so play around with it and see if it works.
the 2nd thing i did was setting a fan curve in afterburner since ma gpu fan speed went to max after the black screen crash and it seems to fixed the issue for now.
btw sry for my english

Apr 7, 2019
I have an amd processor ryzen 3 2200g. Both my processor and gpu (rx 570) have the same drivers. I've been having this problem for a month now.
Go to your amd wattman settings and set the power limit to 50% then setspeed/temperature to manual and edit the fan and temp curve as u like and test.

Apr 7, 2019
I've already tried that and it still crashes whether I'm gaming or not. Please help T.T
Do you have a bios switch in your gpu ? if u do then push it.
u can try to edit the fan speed in the bios your gpu could be overheating and did you try using afterburner ? try using afterburner and edit the fan curve.
oh and check cpu power management in control panel put min to 50.

Jun 10, 2019
Question -- I have a AMD Ryzen 7 2700, so there is no integrated graphics onboard. (The MB's native VGA and HDMI ports are not operable, by design). Any thoughts on how I can uninstall discrete graphics drivers, install integrated drivers, and then reinstall the discrete drivers? (Do I need to write an auto-updating boot script to do this and hope I don't screw up the code)? Thanks!

Win10x64
AMD 560 GPU, latest drivers + Wattman
Not a gamer

Black screen -- without cursor -- occurs after my PC goes to sleep and then I wake it up. Computer actually wakes up -- I log activity and use keystrokes to create Win events to the log. But graphics card sends total black screen to monitor. (On several different monitors). I've already turned off hybrid power mgt to no effect.

Thanks!

Oct 31, 2019
Thank you so much. I had the same problem with my Vega 56 after switching to a z370 motherboard. I've tried everything and was about to buy a new graphics card or psu. After following your suggestions everything is stable... even with OC and UV.

Status
Not open for further replies.