[SOLVED] AMD Black Screen/Full Fan Speed Crash

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Like the title says, PC gets black screen, fans go to full speed, and I'm forced to restart my PC. I recently found a way to replicate the issue consistently by playing the Undungeon demo, at these context screens where it plays a video tutorial. This consistently will cause my PC to crash. The other game that causes it very occasionally is Escape from Tarkov (nearly any other game I've played as of late has not caused this crash). Both games are made in Unity engine.. curious if that has something to do with this?

What I've tried so far:

• Reinstalling various drivers after using DDU in safemode
  • Switching PCIE to force 3.0 in Bios
  • Latest Bios as well as latest beta Bios
  • Checking power cables
  • Reseating GPU/RAM/CPU w/ fresh paste
  • Undervolting my GPU
  • Checking RAM timings

I'm at a loss of where to go from here. I'd love to upgrade my card to begin with to try and fix the issue, but we all know that is very unlikely unless I trade my spine along with $500 extra ontop of the MSRP. Even for older cards. So until the market becomes more saturated with GPUs I'm stuck with this.

Here are my specs:

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - Sapphire R9 Fury (driver ver 19.12.1 after DDU in safe mode)
MOBO - ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS (WIFI)
BIOS - 3402 (tried latest, on the latest beta ver now)
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (F4-3200C16D-16GVGB) 3200mhz, 16:18:18:38:75:1T
OS - Windows 10 Home x64 (Version10.0.19041 Build 19041)
MONITOR - ASUS VP249 @ 144HZ & HP w2338h @ 60hz

Solution
That is what OC'ing is, finding the sweet spot for your components. Just watching a YT video and what others get and applying their settings is rarely if ever going to fit your GPU for example, every chip even though they are binned will have their own threshold of what OC they can achieve. Then come the variables of things like temp, case, cooling solution, Mobo, RAM, vertical mount/Riser cable and you could be miles away from what others get.

So yes OC'ing is all about the sweet spot for your configuration. I agree with Tolis_GR that Afterburner runs well with Nvidia but the AMD GPU's have never really liked it in my experience. The reason it was/is often used with AMD cards was the AMD software was pretty awful but the newer...

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
It's usually a VRAM crash. Either they get heated or it's a bit unstable. Reduce the vram frequency or slightly overvolt the gpu and see what happens

Not very familiar with over/underclocking maybe you can help point me in the right direction. I have Afterburner, and for some reason I cant modify the Memory Clock slider. Its set to 500 but I can't modify that at all.

EDIT: Overvolted GPU +15 and it still crashed.

Not very familiar with over/underclocking maybe you can help point me in the right direction. I have Afterburner, and for some reason I cant modify the Memory Clock slider. Its set to 500 but I can't modify that at all.

Don;'t use Afteburner. In some occasions it interferes with monitoring and overclocking utilities of the gpu and causes problems. Try Amd Radeon panel and go to performance and tuning tabs. If you cant change the vram frequency then it's bios locked. You could probably try a slight overvolt there

kspabs

Commendable
Jun 16, 2020
Don;'t use Afteburner. In some occasions it interferes with monitoring and overclocking utilities of the gpu and causes problems. Try Amd Radeon panel and go to performance and tuning tabs. If you cant change the vram frequency then it's bios locked. You could probably try a slight overvolt there

Hoping I'm not getting ahead of myself by saying this, but dropping my clock speed -20 fixed the reproduceable crashing in Undungeon. Tested for 5 mins in those context menus when before I could barely last 1 min.

Am I just going to have to find the sweet spot for reducing frequency where I don't get crashes?

That is what OC'ing is, finding the sweet spot for your components. Just watching a YT video and what others get and applying their settings is rarely if ever going to fit your GPU for example, every chip even though they are binned will have their own threshold of what OC they can achieve. Then come the variables of things like temp, case, cooling solution, Mobo, RAM, vertical mount/Riser cable and you could be miles away from what others get.

So yes OC'ing is all about the sweet spot for your configuration. I agree with Tolis_GR that Afterburner runs well with Nvidia but the AMD GPU's have never really liked it in my experience. The reason it was/is often used with AMD cards was the AMD software was pretty awful but the newer Adrenaline has been a huge step foward and I find it very easy to use and have no issues with stability.

Solution