[SOLVED] AMD Boot Kit Won't Work

Feb 15, 2020
Using AMD's boot kit to update my bios on my MSI B450 Tomahawk. When I turned it on, I get no boot and all four of my debugging lights stay on. Does this mean my motherboard is dead? I wouldn't think it would be because the debugging lights turn on. But I also see no reason why it isn't booting to bios.

Solution

Can't open the partspicker...

It is an APU so keep it simple and don't install the GPU but connect your monitor to the display port on the motherboard back plate.

secondly double check connections... all of them. reseat (or just check) CPU and memory. reseat the 20+4 pin connector. reseat the 4+4 pin CPU power connector.

you might also reset CMOS before starting it up... disconnect power, pull the battery and short the pins for about 30 seconds. then reverse and power up.

have the new BIOS on a memory stick, extracted from the distibution file, named properly and ready to go. Insert in one of the backplate USB ports. When it boots spam...
Using AMD's boot kit to update my bios on my MSI B450 Tomahawk. When I turned it on, I get no boot and all four of my debugging lights stay on. Does this mean my motherboard is dead? I wouldn't think it would be because the debugging lights turn on. But I also see no reason why it isn't booting to bios.
what cpu came in your boot kit? if it's an APU then plug monitor into the display ports on the motherboard

what is the complete setup: motherboard, memory, gpu, psu, cooling etc.

Can't open the partspicker...

It is an APU so keep it simple and don't install the GPU but connect your monitor to the display port on the motherboard back plate.

secondly double check connections... all of them. reseat (or just check) CPU and memory. reseat the 20+4 pin connector. reseat the 4+4 pin CPU power connector.

you might also reset CMOS before starting it up... disconnect power, pull the battery and short the pins for about 30 seconds. then reverse and power up.

have the new BIOS on a memory stick, extracted from the distibution file, named properly and ready to go. Insert in one of the backplate USB ports. When it boots spam delete key and go straight into BIOS, to the BIOS update section and update it. Don't get used to the glitzy red BIOS screens, the updated BIOS will be ugly black and white. But very functional.

Last edited:
Solution
Have you considered trying the FlashBack button to update with?

Follow the instructions laid out in the manual. The most common mistakes are:
  • the flash drive isn't formated FAT32
  • the BIOS file isn't extracted from the distribution file
  • the BIOS file isn't located in the root directory
  • the BIOS file isn't named exactly correctly
If you should try to do this and at first it doesn't 'take', try different USB flash drives. It's shown a fondness for older flash drives for some reason.

Here's a vid of someone doing it on your board.

Last edited:
Haven't used that feature on one of those boards, but since the poster above says flash back prefers older flash drives, make sure you plug into a USB 2.0 port. I've worked with systems in the past that were very picky about even booting off a USB 3.0 drive.

There's one specific USB port you have to use...it's described in the manual instructions, and shown in the linked vid.

Reactions: ohio_buckeye