AMD 'Bulldozer' CPU Not Coming Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedx

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
"The Bulldozer family of CPUs are still scheduled for sampling by the end of 2010, with full-volume production kicking off in 2010" ???

Anyways AMD can easily compete in the $150 - $220 range with phenom II (a 32nm refresh would greatly help) till late 2010 (when Sandy Bridge releases). I'm waiting since a long time for Bulldozer. From all the hype it seems that it's going to be AMD's conroe.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Seldom does BIG change Happen & Bulldozer will be taking US from Nahalem/Dunnington World of 2.5 Billion tranistors to Slim Gym of dynamic Porportions learned from X2 thru890/?970, This will bring parity with Intel W/Less WORK MORE QUALITY. Making 2014 where future Bulldozer will Build to. Involved IS Love of BIG Yellow Things Earthly.

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART von DRASHEK M.D.

humand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
AMD will probably die shrink deneb to 32nm before introducing Orochi (bulldozer architecture) but I would like to see a complete roadmap along with what they have to offer graphic-wise overlaping with DX11, PCI3.0 and USB 3.0

scarpa

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
They should release Bulldozer next year not 2011.

By then hopefully they'll manage to stay alive with the Phenom 2.

G

This article makes no sense... at one point you say Bulldozer development schedule isn't in synch with 32nm and then in another you say AMD "decided" to delay the chip from 1 year.

"Decided" or FORCED to delay? If this merely was a 'decision' then they should easily be able to release it at the start of 32nm. Clearly they are still working on the design/debug. This reminds me of how AMD "CHOSE" to release the low clocked Phenom I because "customers were demanding it"

[citation][nom]scarpa[/nom]They should release Bulldozer next year not 2011.By then hopefully they'll manage to stay alive with the Phenom 2.[/citation]
Hopefully, don't forget Intel will be releasing Core i5 soon(June/July).

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
jaragon13 03/07/2009 12:31 PM
Hide
-0+
jaragon13

Anyone think Scythe Orochi when they read the article?

man orochi is referred to the snake like japanese mythology god. (Yamata no orochi)

that is like the hydra with 8 head, with log neck..

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]jaragon13 03/07/2009 12:31 PMHide-0+jaragon13Anyone think Scythe Orochi when they read the article?man orochi is referred to the snake like japanese mythology god. (Yamata no orochi)that is like the hydra with 8 head, with log neck..[/citation]

man orochi is referred to the snake like japanese mythology god. (Yamata no orochi)

that is like the hydra with 8 head, with log neck..

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Unless AMD can manufacture its CPU in Intel's fab, AMD will always be a year behind Intel. Intel will always have better margin so it can invest in next gen fab and AMD will always wait until upgrading is cheap enough to upgrade fab.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Unless AMD can manufacture its CPU in Intel's fab, AMD will always be a year behind Intel. Intel will always have better margin so it can invest in next gen fab and AMD will always wait until upgrading is cheap enough to upgrade fab.[/citation]

amd was on top of the hill back in the athlon day, and intel was pulling it hair like crazy.. and in those day was after, intel was on top for a very long time..
so stuff like that could happen. He did it once, and can do it again..

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
AMD needs to just keep plugging away and getting FINISHED products to market. The Phenom II is what the Phenom should have been in the first place. I just hope that they can speed up the process of getting finished products to the market. I wonder though, in 2011 are we still going to be using DDR3? Or will it be getting phased out like DDR2 is now?

G

On the Server CPU front it's gonna be easy, at least for one year: AMD's 6-thread 6-core CPU vs Intel's 8-thread 4-core CPU. With all the 10% average advantage of intel (at the same clock), AMD's server CPUs will be better by some 25%

G

It should be painfully obvious by now that we're reaching the limit of how many instruction per clock-cycle an x86 cpu can generate. Core i7 is way too big, runs too hot and uses way too many transistors for what typically amounts to a neglible advantage over Phenom II or Core2(and STFU if you're going to say "I encode video", because Avivo will wipe the floor with your i7). The only thing left is adding more cores, and GPGPU. IMHO, the forthcoming 6-core(and dual-chip 8 and 12 cores...), ATIs GPGPU technologies, and the 32nm dieshrink of Phenom II should easily keep AMD competetive in the meantime.

rambo117

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
32nm.... can you beleive how far CPU architecture design has gone from..
wow, soon enough, hitting 4ghz will be a breeze with a simple air cooling solution.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I don't think K10 architecture can last that long. AMD needs to release a K11 before or when Intel releases Sandy Bridge.

However, I do see that if they don't, they can just undercut Intel like they are with the Phenom II processors.

G

LMAO at the guy saying Intel will ALWAYS be ahead... No, Intel will be a year ahead of AMD(unless AMD skips a node), until about 2015 when they both hit 10nm, then guess what? No more die shrinks, ever.

tempelife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
What an Intel chip cost without competition from AMD? I hope AMD can turn a profit sometime soon or we all will pay more.

lmpi

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I've red that the cpus which release now were produced many years ago , and this is only market strategy.I also have read that now amd and intel have a super processors that we can't even imagine how fast and productive are :).Is it true?!:)

AMD4Life

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I7 - Phenom II (upper level)
I5 - Phenom II (lower level)
I3 - Athlon II/Phenom II x3

I can say that AMD is pretty secure until Intel releases 32nm. Then they must really push hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.