Question AMD Catalyst driver installer doesn't install GPU driver.

majaczos22

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I reinstalled my Windows (7), I did a clean install so I thought it would be the time to try the new GPU driver. I have an old GPu (HD 7770 GHz Edition) and I was using older Catalyst driver because it was working fine.
So with the clean start I installed AMD Adrenalin 18.9.3 which shows as the newest for my setup. Since then I has constant errors about "AMD Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" when using Firefox browser. It seems like a known bug before even now the newest Navi cards do the same with Firefox when hardware acceleration is on.
I know such error message can show failing hardware but it's not the case - I had ZERO issues on Catalyst, I have zero issues now when I disabled hardware acceleration in Firefox settings. It's a driver issue.

So I decided to go back to the good old Catalyst. I downloaded the 15.7.1 version from AMD's website which should be compatible with Radeon HD7000 series. I uninstalled old (well, technically new) drivers, I used DDU in safe mode to get rid of the remains but when I tried to install Catalyst - it failed. It failed to recognize (?) and install the GPU/display driver. It only installed AMD HDMI audio driver and AMD Catalyst install manager. Funny thing is - install log shows that it identified my GPU (0x683d) correctly!
View: https://i.imgur.com/ZV4Outz.png

I don't know what's going on anymore, I tried a couple of times with the same result. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited:

majaczos22

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Ok, since Catalyst 15.7.1 didn't work I managed to download 13.4 from Guru3d (hopefully it wasn't corrupted becuase it was modified), installed with no issues, GPU works like a charm. With hardware acceleration enabled there are ZERO issues, no "AMD Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" errors whatsoever. AMD Adrenalin is rubbish.