AMD CEO Says That There Are Enough Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Doesn't hit AMD as hard since they have a small fraction of the overall business. Plus nobody is clamoring for FX cpu PCs so they don't have to worry about hard drives for them.

G

There isn't a hard drive shortage if you compare it to the amount of successful Bulldozer chips being produced trolololol

Really hope they get back on track in the PC business, even as the company shifts focuses now. If I could, I don't want to go with an Intel build when I find out what's new over the course of the next few months.

G

I went to my local hardware dealer's website and checked hard drives. I looked at three pages of hard drives and most had 100+ in storage. Those that didn't, said that more will come if ordered. Prices are same as always.

Are these "hard drive shortage" and "prices go up" some american things?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
"Hey Bob, our profit margins are too low."

"Well, a flood in Thailand just took out most of the HDD's manufacturing facilities."

"Call up our competitors. Time for some, price adjustments..."

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]usedToLikeAMD[/nom]Doesn't hit AMD as hard since they have a small fraction of the overall business. Plus nobody is clamoring for FX cpu PCs so they don't have to worry about hard drives for them.[/citation]

Went to one of my favorite computer stores recently. Couldn't Find the FX chips anywhere. Though there were quite a few Intel CPUs left.

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]After Bulldozer I don't really believe too much coming out of AMD.[/citation]

What would AMD have to gain from lying that there isn't a Hard Drive Shortage?

Also at the same computer store is a shelf full of Hard Drives there. So this announcement to me is a bit more credible.

happycamperjack

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Another bad sign coming from AMD. That just mean the demand for them is not strong enough for both enterprise and consumer market to be affected by the flood. No surprise really after critics and benchmarks "bulldozed" over their latest efforts. Time to jump ships to ARM?

cmcghee358

Distinguished
It's pretty simple to see why Intel is saying the hard drive shortage will negatively impact their bottom line. Intel has a massive market share over AMD.

Since AMD ships less CPUs to vendors(Dell, HP, Lenovo etc) the lack of HDD supply doesn't affect them as much as Intel which ships 3x more.

G

Intel investors need not worry. With Otellini in charge, Intel will probably just bribe and threaten manufacturers here and there.... Monopoly money will just roll in.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
With the prices going up those HDD's won't be selling fast. Had 3 of my friends looking for a 1TB external drive for the price they were which was about $80 and now that there well above $100+ there not looking anymore. Its driving consumers away, good luck to them and there price hikes. We the consumers have not forgotten the old prices.

G

Ive resorted to buying External 1TB drives from Seagate and WD for £65, ripping the Drive out and throwing away the casings, because its cheaper than buying 1TB 3.5 drives themselves which are around £110 for the exact same green drives!

IT IS PRICE FIXING! There is enough supply, no-one single line of HDD have been out of stock!

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]usedToLikeAMD[/nom]Doesn't hit AMD as hard since they have a small fraction of the overall business. Plus nobody is clamoring for FX cpu PCs so they don't have to worry about hard drives for them.[/citation]
I keep seeing articles stating that Zambezi has actually been a success and that it's hard to get them. Still, I'm not 100% sure on that; one site I looked at is giving an AMD-offered rebate of about £2.50 per core, so £10 for the quads, £15 for the hexas and £20 for the octos.

I would point to one thing though - AMD has more than its fair share of the domestic market. It's the server market where they're truly lacking.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Ive resorted to buying External 1TB drives from Seagate and WD for £65, ripping the Drive out and throwing away the casings, because its cheaper than buying 1TB 3.5 drives themselves which are around £110 for the exact same green drives!IT IS PRICE FIXING! There is enough supply, no-one single line of HDD have been out of stock![/citation]

That's because nobody can afford them. :p

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Global foundries's "Issues" have a negative impact on their sales

they must switch to TSMC or go build some fabs, didn't they gain 100M or so in the last quarter, really it's a good idea

Andre2807

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Merkel Nurmepot[/nom]I went to my local hardware dealer's website and checked hard drives. I looked at three pages of hard drives and most had 100+ in storage. Those that didn't, said that more will come if ordered. Prices are same as always.Are these "hard drive shortage" and "prices go up" some american things?[/citation]

Here in South Africa, 1TB hard drives was about $75 = R600. Now its R1800. Which is $225... Hard drive prices in South Africa increased by 200%

Status
Not open for further replies.