AMD CFO Thomas Seifert Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
I wish all the best for AMD and hope they can get back to being competitive with Intel once again. Not with more cores, but with excellent business decisions and technological advancements on their products.

G

I really do not think that AMD has much longer to go..........................

[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]I hope Read knows what he is doing. If AMD suffers too much loss, it is the end of CPU progress, since Intel will simply stop producing new stuff.[/citation]

AMD is still profitable, just barely.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Shell oil. just like i said and got down voted for. AMD is a saudi royal family interest. They own alot of that company. Its a hit job on amd and its investors. the companies going down for political reasons in my book, the worlds alot more complex than it seems just on the on the processor side. AMD fans boys will cry but AMD is no longer AMD... i have been a fan since the k6! but the company is no longer quality. Its no longer AMD. RIP AMD. Read killed the company.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]Shell oil. just like i said and got down voted for. AMD is a saudi royal family interest. They own alot of that company. Its a hit job on amd and its investors. the companies going down for political reasons in my book, the worlds alot more complex than it seems just on the on the processor side. AMD fans boys will cry but AMD is no longer AMD... i have been a fan since the k6! but the company is no longer quality. Its no longer AMD. RIP AMD. Read killed the company.[/citation]

You got downvoted for ignorance.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]I hope Read knows what he is doing. If AMD suffers too much loss, it is the end of CPU progress, since Intel will simply stop producing new stuff.[/citation]
Intel will still need to produce new stuff if it wants to continue selling stuff. If they stopped making new CPUs beyond Haswell because AMD disappeared, 3-4 years down the road everyone would have Haswell-based PCs and nothing to upgrade to after that.

I would be more concerned about prices than progress. Without AMD, we might go back to Netburst-era pricing with the newest CPUs spanning the $200-1000 range, previous-gen stuff spanning the $150-300 range and almost nothing available for cheaper than that. (Well, it probably won't get that bad since the market for entry-level PCs is pretty much saturated and would be directly threatened by non-Wintel devices if Intel pushed their luck too far.)

Seifert's departure is significant as all top-level executives at AMD have been exchanged within less than one year, indicating the dramatic transformation of the company that forced some key leaders out of the company and made it difficult for the new leaders to keep others on board.

Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Hey, I'm gonna get you too

AMD's in a difficult spot right now, but hopefully their 'house cleaning' will give some younger individuals with more vision and business expertise a chance to bring AMD back. The worst thing they can do is copy RIM and have executives with old-fashioned mindsets attempt to pilot a company through a whirlwind of entirely new markets.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Intel will still need to produce new stuff if it wants to continue selling stuff. If they stopped making new CPUs beyond Haswell because AMD disappeared, 3-4 years down the road everyone would have Haswell-based PCs and nothing to upgrade to after that.I would be more concerned about prices than progress. Without AMD, we might go back to Netburst-era pricing with the newest CPUs spanning the $200-1000 range, previous-gen stuff spanning the $150-300 range and almost nothing available for cheaper than that. (Well, it probably won't get that bad since the market for entry-level PCs is pretty much saturated and would be directly threatened by non-Wintel devices if Intel pushed their luck too far.)[/citation]

Ignorance. If Intel stopped dead in the water with Haswell and started charging $1500 for midrange CPUs, what incentive would the customer have for upgrading and buying new products? None.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I hear this argument presented all the time, and for a long time I agreed with it, but the more I think about it the more I feel it is flawed. It assumes that Intel is the only processor manufacturer, which is patently false. We have IBM with their Power processors, and the cornucopia of RISC-like designs (ARM, MIPS, etc). While Intel would have a monopoly over x86 (which they invented), those other alternatives are available.

I can already hear the shouts of "Windows software", but Windows 8 (despite its badness) does support ARM in a limited fashion, and in due course Microsoft can expand that support with future releases. Then consider the server and embedded market, where platform agnostic OSes (Linux, BSD, etc) dominate. Between all of these factors I think the "Intel will dominate the world if AMD fails" argument is overblown.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Also, the competition in the server and embedded space will spill over into the client PC arena even if other architectures don't fill the gap left by AMD should they fail.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]I can already hear the shouts of "Windows software", but Windows 8 (despite its badness) does support ARM in a limited fashion, and in due course Microsoft can expand that support with future releases.[/citation]Windows NT has always been portable. They've had it running on Alpha, there are released versions on Itanium. More importantly, they have Windows running on ARM and ready for a big release. Not sure what you mean by limited fashion.

Just because they don't have the desktop on the ARM iteration? The reason they don't have a desktop on RT is because it would divide ARM and x86. Whereas software built for Windows Runtime will be WinRT (ARM) and Win8 (x86) capable. So you'll be able to download software that runs on both, from here on forward. The idea is to gradually phase out x86-only software, for cross-platform support and future proofing. Of course, down the road you could end up with a different architecture and still run x86 software via emulation.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]uglynerdman[/nom]Shell oil. just like i said and got down voted for. AMD is a saudi royal family interest. They own alot of that company. Its a hit job on amd and its investors. the companies going down for political reasons in my book, the worlds alot more complex than it seems just on the on the processor side. AMD fans boys will cry but AMD is no longer AMD... i have been a fan since the k6! but the company is no longer quality. Its no longer AMD. RIP AMD. Read killed the company.[/citation]
Here's the news, the Saudis have been banking all that money you Americans have been pouring into their country to buy oil for the last 50 - 60 years and using it to buy stocks in just about every company on the NY stock exchange, they already own about 11% of America's material wealth
So where is the hard-on for AMD coming from? GFTO TROLL!!!

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
By the way, forget Seifert, look at the list of top IBM execs that have been brought in and others from some of the biggest companies in the world, OK he has been there 28 years but the new crew are not a bunch of n00bs and they mean business

ekho

Honorable
Aug 3, 2012
Hard to hear some good news from AMD for several years now, except the Radeon parts that occasionally throw some good news, we read about , like Qualcomm buying AMD or SAMSUNG or .... We see bunch of [perhaps] useless presentation slides from AMD, their calendar of products delays ofter delays, they are Fab-Less , they could sell chips for Apple products but they couldn't afford the chips for that timeline, blah blah blah..... Ooooh

Status
Not open for further replies.