News AMD Challenges Intel's NUC, Fosters Mini PC Ecosystem

Sn3akr

Honorable
Nov 16, 2013
I think You goofed up the spreadsheet.. According to that, base clock is higher than boost clock :unsure:

Anyways.. It's awesome that AMD is coming up with an alternative to the NUC-series from Intel, and we finally get some competition on that market aswell. I'll be looking forward to seeing some reviews of theese things.

Reactions: King_V

Co BIY

Splendid
Is this a viable segment though ? I feel like I've seen Intel cancel product after product in this area.

I think the Intel concept that includes vertical integration could make low end end desktops for emerging markets profitable enough to build but even that space is probably going to be (or has been ) leapfrogged by phones and tablets.

I can see a market for Phone "docks" that allow you to connect a mouse, keyboard and workable large monitor to your powerful, connected and expensive smart phone.

That's almost what I wanted.
I wanted AM4 in SFF as possible, I dont even need the PCIE x8/16 line. (I would not mind 3 or 4 m.2 slots though) Something small enough to mount behind monitor AND powerful enough for weekend gamer.
And this is it. Memory is damn slow, but its manageable and I probably won't have a chance to buy it.

Awesome to see competition from AMD in this aspect. It'll be a tough fight since Intel has been entrenched in this market since its inception, but this can only mean more choices for consumers.

logainofhades

Titan
I wanted AM4 in SFF as possible, I dont even need the PCIE x8/16 line. (I would not mind 3 or 4 m.2 slots though) Something small enough to mount behind monitor AND powerful enough for weekend gamer.
And this is it. Memory is damn slow, but its manageable and I probably won't have a chance to buy it.

The Asrock A300 desk mini is the closest solution for you, depending on your gaming needs/desires. Can pair it with any AM4 APU.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16856158064

jbheller

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Get one of these. You won't be disappointed.

https://www.asrock.com/nettop/AMD/DeskMini A300 Series/

The stock cooler fits in the case too. You just have to remove the top shroud off the cooler, which is held on with a couple of philips head screws.

Dec 4, 2019
I would love to see something a little more scaled down for the Firewall/home router market. Maybe in OEM's like Netgear and Asus appliances. Or home automation.

AMD taking another slice out of Intel's pie. If this comes in at the right price there could be a large market that could use these.

twotwotwo

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Huh, today Intel announced a "compute element" spec for industrial type PCs and this PR may've been partly to get ahead of that.

FWIW Intel's made samples of a bigger faster "NUC" with a dGPU, covered here. AMD seems, if anything, to have better components for something like that: they can fit much more CPU under a low TDP (3900 pro), and since they make the CPU and the GPU, all the better for coming up with an integrated SFF design. Plus they make a little profit of both components if it sells well.

This is really my way of saying (as a dev that mostly doesn't do AAA PC games) that I wish I could get something like this in a more modern config than six-core Skylake-ish paired with a pricey MXM card. :)

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The Asrock A300 desk mini is the closest solution for you, depending on your gaming needs/desires. Can pair it with any AM4 APU.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16856158064

Behold the Micro Machine in my signature. Though, if these SFF models existed at the time, I'd've likely considered them. Though, nothing more than very light gaming was a consideration for me.

I'm also considering trying out a Raspberry Pi 4, to see if I could do a lightweight Linux desktop with it.

4freedomssake

Honorable
Oct 30, 2017
I'm excited on this challenge AMD is taking. I've only built one AMD system out of ten in my life. I'm hoping that these will be released so we can add our own RAM and etcetera.