Question AMD Chill as a frame rate limiter

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
I'm having trouble limiting my frame rate without breaking my monitor's Freesync. Is ok to use Chill as a limiter by setting min and max to the same value?
I would have kept using RTSS but it seems to interfere with Freesync and also increase loading in games for some reason

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
Can't you turn Vsync on? Radeon control panel probably has a framerate limiter too but Vsync on would lock your FPS to monitors refreshrate.
Yeah but my monitor's refresh rate is 144 and for some games I want it to lock to 60fps.
After doing some googling it turns out some people experience the same issues I do and it really just change from game to game.
Sometimes it's best to try to use the best in- game settings and sometimes it's better to use something outside of the game like RTSS or Chill

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Yeah but my monitor's refresh rate is 144 and for some games I want it to lock to 60fps.
After doing some googling it turns out some people experience the same issues I do and it really just change from game to game.
Sometimes it's best to try to use the best in- game settings and sometimes it's better to use something outside of the game like RTSS or Chill
https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/frtc

FRTC, look for it

eli150

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2013
If anybody is as frustrated as I am.. there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. It's different for every game.
I can confirm forcing freesync from the game's profile in radeon software and turning on chill with a min val of 60 and max of 62 seems to be working well without tearing. Sadly I haven't figured out RTSS scanline sync but I've heard it can do wonders even for displays that dont support freesync or gsync. Using RTSS framerate limit seem to be breaking freesync and actually cause some games to have longer loading screens for some reason.