Question AMD Chipset Driver fail question

slipd83

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
Hi guys,

I've noticed that when I tried to install the latest, 4.11.15.342, chipset drivers on my MSI Tomohawk x570 the PPMS fails...

Capture.jpg

I upgraded to a 5800x, having previously used a 3600. I understand from research that the PPMS component isn't required anymore on certain chips, hence the failure? I'm fairly certain none of the drivers failed with my 3600 on board.

Thought?

slipd83

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
Try uninstalling AMD Chipset software first and then install the new drivers. See if that helps.
I have, and using Revo. Cleared up all the previous residue. The more I look, I can't seem to see anyone with a similar setup being able to get the PPMS to install.

I've posted on AMD's own forum too, without response.

Thanks for the reply! I think I'm going to have to wait and see now what the next Chipset installer throws up.

Colif

Win 11 Master

slipd83

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
Thanks mate! For research, I just tried the latest drivers, albeit different board B450 and cpu (3200G) and all the drivers installed fine.

I've also had a reply from an AMD Mod on the official forums;

Hello!
AMD 5000 series processors use Windows power plans. The power plans specified in the drivers are for 3000 series processors and earlier.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i don't know if i would install chipset drivers for a different motherboard. I am amazed it actually let you. Or do you mean on another PC?

The X570 drivers should work if CPU has features as I installed them last week. I think I use the windows power plans on my 3600xt

slipd83

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
i don't know if i would install chipset drivers for a different motherboard. I am amazed it actually let you. Or do you mean on another PC?

The X570 drivers should work if CPU has features as I installed them last week. I think I use the windows power plans on my 3600xt
Yeah, sorry - I tired them on my hobby build!! I didn't explain that very well, did I?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Amd and Microsoft didn't do too much communicating for Zen, Zen+ and Zen2 cpus. So the power assigned by Windows for the Balanced plan was at odds with what the cpu was looking for. So Amd wrote their own power plan for Balanced mode and finally got Microsoft to agree to ship it in a Windows update, as well as Amd including it in successive chipset updates.

That's the PPMS driver. Doesn't apply to Zen3 cpus as that's dealt with by Microsoft now, so for Balanced plan, there's no more Microsoft Balanced or AMD Balanced option, only Balanced.

slipd83

Reputable
Jul 29, 2020
Amd and Microsoft didn't do too much communicating for Zen, Zen+ and Zen2 cpus. So the power assigned by Windows for the Balanced plan was at odds with what the cpu was looking for. So Amd wrote their own power plan for Balanced mode and finally got Microsoft to agree to ship it in a Windows update, as well as Amd including it in successive chipset updates.

That's the PPMS driver. Doesn't apply to Zen3 cpus as that's dealt with by Microsoft now, so for Balanced plan, there's no more Microsoft Balanced or AMD Balanced option, only Balanced.
Thanks! My mind is at rest now - I was starting to think I was doing something wrong :sneaky:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nope lol, just a victim of outdated information from companies highly subjected to keeping secrets. The Only time you'll hear anything from Amd or Microsoft or Intel or nvidia etc is when it's to their benefit, otherwise it's like pulling teeth to drag reasonable inquiries out of them.

Amd at least answered simply, stating it's not used on Zen3 cpus, but there was no explanation of what it was, where it was used, why it wasn't used, could it be safely ignored on your cpu, would it need to be reinstalled if swapping back to a Zen2 cpu etc.

Reactions: slipd83