AMD Confirms Six-Core 'Thuban' Consumer CPUs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szutowave

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Well, I have several apps that take advantage of Multi core systems, Lightwave 3d and several Adobe applications, not to mention boinc. So, this is great news, as I am very short on time and I HATE to wait for my projects to render! So this is great news for my Asus Formula III Motherboard and all my projects!!! Go AMD

[citation][nom]leon2006[/nom]Get a working DIE out and lets see the benchmark result. Until then this another marketing ploy from AMD that end up pure HOT-AIR...The first Single-DIE Quad Core was a total failure...Here we go again...Promising 6 Core!!![/citation]

the six core is already running without issue instanbul lower clocks though :(

knight9413

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Instead of brute-force approach like how it used to be with the mhz/ghz race... I think it's time to do something different... like multi-layer cube-shaped core

Thurin

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Let's see software that is properly designed for making use of more than a single or even 2 cores.... then we'll talk.

For now even though I have a hefty and overclocked quadcore processor, certain dualcores still out perform quads and thus most probably also hexa core processors on the grounds of there not being any software or in any case too little software written for 4 cores or more.

People shouldn't say "Barely any apps", they should say "Barely any apps THAT I CARE ABOUT". Plenty of apps could use 6 cores today, but people on here think that games are the only apps out there. I would've bought this if it were out when I built my PhenomII 940BE, although I'm currently not running out of CPU power(audio production), so it's a matter of how much overkill, but I could definitely use all 6 cores today...

yes there are apps out there but most of the apps that take advantage of multiple cores are for the business world and not the consumer world. which is why we do not care about them

heck the business world is using hardware that is light years beyond what available for the consumer market. Sun has been using 64-bit CPU's in its server since the early 90's

Ehsan w

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009

I think that's where Larrabee is going man

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
not having to upgrade my mobo each time a family of new processors arrive, is always good.
although realistically, i always did... hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.