Question AMD CPU comparable to Intel i7-6700K @ 4Ghz

Kolvir

Honorable
Aug 29, 2015
Which AMD processor is comparable in power to an i7-6700K? Tried searching for it, but am having a hard time. Is that Intel chip older, maybe that is the problem? I have a spec from a vender recommending that Intel CPU and want to go with a current AMD that is just as good. Business machine, not gaming.

mgallo848

Commendable
Sorry, I don't know much about VMS systems. I can't say for sure what type of CPU power is needed to run a setup effectively. If I had to take an educated guess I would say that it wouldn't take much at all. If I'm right, then an i7 6700k would be overkill.

If you're able to find out what are the system requirements needed to run your companies system we may be able to give you some recommendations.

Edit: Here's a link to a VMS company called Onssi:
https://onssi.com/downloads/product_documentation/5.7/Ocularis5_SpecSheet_PRO_v5.7.pdf

If you scroll down they say a minimum CPU would be something like a an Intel i3
The recommended CPU is an i7 4930k (which is a 6 core/12 threaded CPU that is much faster than the i7 6700k for multitasking).
As far as an AMD is concerned, a Ryzen 5 2600x is as fast (maybe a little faster) than the i7 4930k for multitasking setups.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: