[SOLVED] AMD Cpu Life Expectancy ?

jessenwindlim

Commendable
Aug 29, 2018
I want to know since amd was known for its " overheating " and such ( idk , its the rumours ) , people claimed that they are not reliable at all compared to i7,i5 or xeons , is it true , iam talking about the ryzen and threadripper ones , not the buldozer era APU

is the life expectancy of lets say the ryzen 5 1600/1600x lower than i5 7600k/i7 7700k ?, does performance drop over time in amd cpu"s

note : i know ,if you seen my name before , i kept talking about amd , its just because my friends keep bashing on amd for no reason , i respect both intel and amd tho

Watch your language.
This is a family friendly site.
Lutfij

Solution
If i recall correctly, Microsoft collected information about cpu related crashes in their users pcs... The end result was that Intel and AMD were only 1% or 2% away from each other making them basically equal in reliability.
In fact, new Intel cpus on average actually run hotter than AMDs cpus due to using toothpaste as TIM instead of solder like AMD does for most of their cpus.

Lutfij

Titan
You might need to worry about what apps you'll be using to tax the system with. Most often people tend to go through more apps than they do with the processor. In any case, unless you don't feed absurd amounts of power through your CPU/APU what have you, then you'll be able to retain the system without any damage to your CPU. That being said, most often the board dies out first due to the high voltages and temps on the VRM area.

Might want to keep the fanboy'ism in check since that will call you out as a biased person on any given day.

jessenwindlim

Commendable
Aug 29, 2018

yeah , sry bout that , you are right , but on lets say , a 10 year old build , will i see performance drops there as massive on both blue and red temas , or red takes it worse ?

note : not an amd fanboy , its just i feel bad for them , people keep calling them " poor man"s porsche " ( or any other one )

mgallo848

Commendable
Sorry but your friends really don't have a clue. After 10 years old, your PC will be so outdated it won't matter what CPU you have.

For example, I still have an Intel Core 2 quad QX9650 lying around that sold for $999 dollars in 2007 that would get destroyed by an AMD FX 8320 that sold for $99 dollars 3 years ago.

CPU’s don’t loose performance over time, just doesn’t happen. However the programs we run expect more and more from the cpu as newer software expects to be run on newer hardware.

I’d expect cpu’s From both AMD or Intel to become obsolete before they failed. I dont think I have ever seen a cpu die by itself, only through user error.

If i recall correctly, Microsoft collected information about cpu related crashes in their users pcs... The end result was that Intel and AMD were only 1% or 2% away from each other making them basically equal in reliability.
In fact, new Intel cpus on average actually run hotter than AMDs cpus due to using toothpaste as TIM instead of solder like AMD does for most of their cpus.

Solution

That's not completely accurate. A CPU that is heavily overclocked with elevated core voltage in constant heavy compute tasking can degrade and become unstable, requiring it be clocked back down to return to stability. That constitutes a definite loss of performance. Over the years some CPU's have proven more susceptible to this than others but I would not say one mfr's product is more prone to it than any other's.

But I agree it's IPC characteristics shouldn't change.