AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 181 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished

The way content was designed for last gen consoles...you're right. They used serial threads on multicore CPUs that had capability to run 4-6 threads at max, and had a moderate GPU for the time.

Now, we have the ability to use the GPU whenever we want to process things that the CPUs are slower at running. That's why they went with a configuration of more cores and slower clocks.

I am not saying that the PS4 is a HPPC, but I am saying that the concepts are the same. You would not run SuperPi on a HPPC, it would be an enormous waste of resources.

By the same token, programming for serial operations, when that is a waste of resources, doesn't make sense on this generation of consoles. Programming will change to adapt to the hardware. Things will go much more parallel...running 14 threads on a console would likely see those threads split and run simultaneously between GPU and CPU. Why run 4 threads at a time and have many waiting to run, when you can do as many as you foreseeably need at once?

That's why it's better than many are saying...

(Note: I am not saying this is a be all end all machine, but it deserves more credit than many are willing to give at this time)

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Still it is playable is it not? I have this CPU with a AMD 5570. All in 1440x900 on a 19" screen, I can play Lol at 60 Frames, 18 Wheels of Steel at 80 Frames, BF3 on low settings at 40-50 Frames (which looks better than console). I did use that processor as an example, but I later corrected myself and said it to be an "exaggerated example".

8350rocks

Distinguished
You could not be playing 64 man multiplayer maps @ 40-50 fps on low settings...

If that was the case...your CPU would be performing on par with a much newer quad, and I doubt that seriously.

You might be getting that in single player...but that's really not impressive at all.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I totally give PS4 credit. The hardware is amazing. You still just fail to realize that the software is what is important. Sure the hardware is a huge step ahead of the previous gen, but the games will still be specially modified to fit the machine.

From all the comment on this that you have posted, you basically are saying that the PS4 is equivalent to a system with an i7 Extreme CPU and a 7990 overclocked. Threads are not all of what gives performance, Hell, its probably on a fraction, if not less than what it seems. Its all in what the game needs, and for console games these days, you really don't need something spectacular.

From what it appears, you are pointing out the obvious, and we agree with what your saying, however, you are using it to try to prove a point, when the point was already proven. By the way, the PS4 has so many threads because aside from the "high end architecture" which "needs a lot of threads" (which it doesn't really), it needs the threads to be able to sync to online, stream video and voice chat, run complex operations in the background.

I don't know if you read game informer, but there was an article on the PS4 and what it will do. They said, and these are words that SONY said themselves, that, "This system wont just play games, but much more." This includes watching video and talking through voice chat to other people that aren't playing the game through an alternate application while you are playing your game. There are many more features, but too many to name in this instance.

This also proves your point that, yes it does need a lot of threads, however, the game wont use any more than a PC game does. The rest are used, as I am saying for other things.

Honestly, I don't know someone who plays BF3, runs FurMark, uses Skype, and has 20 tabs open on their internet browser at one time. I did it once, and much more, but just to have fun and see how far the computer went, and I can tell you, it ran like total poo.

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

I honestly have no idea where the hell you are getting your facts.

8350rocks

Distinguished
The developer I work for just got all the PS4 development tools, and some hardware to work with for developing an indie game :)

I am afraid I cannot discuss much more than that at this point though...

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
I'm talking about your claims of it having 72 threads. Sorry if I seem a little mean, but I'm confused and a bit frustrated here. The 7970 has 32 CU, and the PS4's GPU has 18 CU. Is that what you're trying to point out?

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Sorry forgot to mention that the GPU is OCed 100 on Core and MEM, also it does dip sometimes, but mostly it stays around 40 fps.

Obviously you will not believe me, but just accept it please. You will only accept things that will win your argument, and that is what I call stubborn, sir. ^_^

8350rocks

Distinguished
No, the 7970 has 32 Graphic CUs, but can run 2 General Compute functions at once to help the CPU (2 General Compute pipelines).

The PS4 GPU can run 64 General Compute functions at once (64 General Compute pipelines).

I am talking about doing work the CPU would normally do that is more efficiently done on a GPU with HSA. Modern GPUs, outside of GPGPUs, do not have a ton of compute functions for general computations. They can run Graphics computations like crazy though! However, I expect AMD is partly delaying the HD 8XXX series GPUs because they are making sure the General compute features work well. An improvement over HD 7XXX series wouldn't be much to do unless they were adapting their GPUs to take full advantage of the functions offered on the PS4.

Which, not coincidentally, would put them at an advantage running console games on their GPUs as well.

Clear as mud? :p

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012
Yeah I think I understand. I really do hope they release the Radeon 8000 series soon though. I'm looking into getting a 8950 in the fall, though there are some things I do miss about having an Nvidia card, like better legacy support. Never really used CUDA or PhysX, but I sure do miss being able to play some of my older games on my computer.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I smell something fishy...

64 man multiplayer is extremely CPU bound, if your GPU will run it on low that's good enough, adding more won't help with multiplayer. Frankly OC'ing your GPU wouldn't make up the gap in performance, and those numbers were using a much newer GPU than the system you're talking about as well.

EDIT: IB Core i3's don't get framerates into the 40s with 64 man MP maps in BF3...are you saying your CPU from intel is better than a CPU that's 3-4 generations newer from the same company?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Soon, it will be here soon!

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

You are true here, but as I said before, all of this power isn't just going to be used on the game. All of the other user friendly apps will need this GPU processing. That is what I'm trying to point out.

When games run on a PC, most of them don't use all of the power, don't you know? Unless you had very good hardware acceleration software, you probably wont ever use the whole shebang.

This is the same concept with PS4's in the aspect that they have PC like hardware. The hardware in that system can be the same thing if it is used in a PC.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Well if that's the case, then you're saying the games will use most to all the threads and GCUs, and all the other apps like video chat during a game and the XMB will just magically work?

8350rocks

Distinguished
No, I said it has a theoretical maximum of 72 threads...then I said, we can safely assume that the maximum real limit will be something around 60-65 for a given game. Meaning I accommodated 7-12 threads for background processes and other things. That would be the equivalent of running up to 12 single threaded tasks at once and still having enough hardware to run 60-65 threads.

You might want to actually read what I am posting.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

You said no such thing, I read everything. It took you a little while to come up with that response.

UPDATE: Actually, I'll put it this way. You may have said 72 threads, but how could you expect us to extract all of this response from that?

8350rocks

Distinguished

This post look familiar to you at all?

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Okay I see you there, however, still the problem is. The game will use no where more than 10 threads, so your point is null.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Very probable, ignoring all the supercharged architecture in the PS4, the PS4 already performs like a i7 with a GTX-780 for games will 3GB VRAM or less. If all the supercharged architecture is used, then the PS4 will be ahead. Several developers already claimed that its performance is ahead of gaming PCs.

8350rocks

Distinguished

LOL...ok...because you say they won't that's all that matters! :sarcastic:

On a completely different and unrelated note:
http://www.globalfoundries.com/newsroom/2013/20130530.aspx

GloFo has working flow samples of 20nm FD-SOI and 14nm XM FinFET

montosaurous

Honorable
Aug 21, 2012

Heh, no. I don't believe anyone for a second who says this thing will be more powerful than gaming PCs. It might be equivalent to mid range PCs (FX 6300, Radeon 7870 GHz, 8GB RAM) but it's a little bit of a stretch to say it can beat anything more than that. And of course EA and Activision will say shit like that. Consoles are where they make most of their money. I'm guessing the new gen will have medium-high PC graphics, 4X AA and 60 FPS at 1080p.

I think there's been a little abuse on our part for the term "threads" when talking about games and OS'es...

What I understand from a person saying "this game uses 4 cores and spawns 32 threads" and the rest of the OS threads matter little (cept for a few ones, of course, when waken up) from a CPU utilization POV, is that those threads will enter a race for resources given by the OS scheduler.

My point is: OK, the OS can have 900 threads at any given time, but most of them are either asleep or running in low or IDLE priority. Games usually run in Normal (I put some in Above Normal manually) and specific processes have high priority (sound, for one). For this thread's sake, when we use the word "thread" keep in mind that the OS will schedule them to any core available (unless you manually core park them) and actually make good use of the CPUs resources. Until then, an OS running a bazillion threads means squat as long as they are not running against the games threads for CPU time in any given priority, cutting the time slice they have for the CPU resources.

/rant

Cheers! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.