AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 195 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earl45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

So AMD didn't want to charge 1000.00 for the FX, the only reason they did is because Intel
made them do it. WOW

hcl123

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
I do not know if you're a troll, but I look forward to the folks reading this who will realize that "FX 8350 has 15% faster clocks and is 25% slower" isn't true in a large number of benchmarks, and it's much more like 7% faster clocks and 25% slower, which makes the IPC difference much smaller than people think.

That is not the worst of this absurd crazy epennies discussions

First is the benchmarks themselves, in honesty we could say its 25% different for some tests, but only representative of that particular benchmarks when running in single-task mode... double flawed because everybody uses their computers in multi-tasking mode (several processes/threads at the same time), and none use benchmarks for work.

Then is oranges to oranges, every victory is only temporary in a normal evolutive paradigma, the real orange of haswell is Steamroller not the 8350(vishera)

This has been a game well played bu intel, it has several times the resources, can push an upgrade pretty fast... pours billions to have a fab node size below, before anyone else, trying to compensate that way any lack of clock suitability...

Again intel can always win this game as long there is gullible eager users that are mistaken that time to market is the most essential (even if they only upgrade in 2 year, and most of times not to the brand new but the cheaper previous ), but eliminating the time skew of development of chips, i have high doubts intel has real been superior in anything technical... but yes their aggressive marketing and market rigging power is tremendously superior, and ppl end up discussing non-technical, non science side and biased epennies argument issues with professional trolls (a reality for hire) or "victims" of that... very hard to tell the difference.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

kinda missed the point. what does a $1000+ cpu have to do with low end?

This Intel promoter's crazy theories. the P4 is better than AMD : proven wrong. The q6600 is better than AMD: proven wrong. The I5 2500k is better than AMD ... wrong in some cases : well then the I7 4770k is better ... still proven wrong in a few cases : well then the I7 980x is better ...

earl45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

Wow, from the E6600 Until today what has AMD had to compete with Intel?

The C rev for the Phenom II family has held quite fine in all these years. Specially the 955 C.

Cheers!

earl45

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009

I will agree with you on that, after the 2600k was released then what?

Tahiti prototypes had stacked VRAM and unified memory access but the costs and the fact that no software support was to exist for some time AMD scrapped that (Tahiti was official by October 2011 that means over 20months with no software). Second the HSA foundation only stipulated that 2014 will see more HSA product support, cue Adobe Photoshop PP/C7 whatever they call it. HSA foundation also hosted a open source programmers conferance two weeks ago. Then there is the consoles, ever since then it has been EA the most outspoken on how this potentially changes the landscape. The hardware is coming and has existed since Llano in basic form yet there has been no optimization done.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

I can tell you haven't been keeping up with his conversation. Those were his claims with the 8350 and only the 8350. this isn't a time span arguement.

V V Case in point: ... now the 4770k is a 35w part.

Ranth

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Guys this is getting tiring... stop pushing the page count with this nonsense, stop feeding the troll, and find some new SR articles :D

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

First you miss the main point of the OP. He said that the 3770k is "low end". This is nonsense.

Second, if Intel chips were so good as some believe, then Intel would not waste time and money to cheat benchmarks. It is funny to see the face of some proud 3770k owners, when you show they a openbenchmark (i.e. one that does not cheat) and see the real performance of its chip, with a FX-8350 being up to a 42% faster.

http://openbenchmarking.org/embed.php?i=1210227-RA-AMDFX835085&sha=6dc05fb&p=2
http://openbenchmarking.org/embed.php?i=1210227-RA-AMDFX835085&sha=5a87e9e&p=2
http://openbenchmarking.org/embed.php?i=1210227-RA-AMDFX835085&sha=293f200&p=2
http://openbenchmarking.org/embed.php?i=1210227-RA-AMDFX835085&sha=f236ffc&p=2

Note: those are older tests. More recent tests (GCC 4.8 based) show a FX-8350 competing in performance with an extreme i7-3960X :D

As said before HSA implementation comes in phases. Trinity was the first to introduce some elements such as HSA MMU. Richland introduced enhancements

AMD-Trinity-APU-Successor-Richland-Won-t-Bring-Anything-New-2.jpg

As said above Kavery is the first fully-enabled HSA APU.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

This is one of reasons why most single double... threaded benchmarks are useless. The reviewers run the benchmark, wait, annotate the score, run another benchmark, wait, annotate the score...

Then final users own a FX-8350 and an i5-3570k and hope the former to be slower than the second (because some review sites said they that and showed them some 'benchmarks') then run applications as they do usually, open several apps, game whereas code videos in the background... and find that their FX chip is years ahead of their i5.

They were fully capable of hasfail, slower than ivybridge and toastier, I am actually quite intrigued to find out why you claim a i7 is low end.

images

Now we are taking a i7 up against a lower end Llano APU of 2011:heink:

average-power.png

Source

Richland is about par with the 5800K in total consumption, it is just distorted in that it runs a base clock of 300mhz higher and a IGP core at 44mhz higher, that is only a solitary watt higher than the i7 2700K and less than 10-15watts to the i7 3770K which is the most efficienct tested there, then we factor in the robust size of the iGPU alone and you can say that is hardly bad but you know how 10W is going to change my life for the better.:sarcastic:

What metric are we using to determine whether the i7 is faster than the A6, what the one that the i7 is $350 and the A6 is about $85, it would be pretty embarrasing if a Llano could keep up with a i7...oh wait gaming where HD4600 is about as good as Llano based graphics....only choppier. And if its CPU performance, Kudo's on beating a entry level APU, thats some mighty fine achievement beating a APU based on Stars cores of 2005-6.

I am loving the reason, an i7 is not high end because it doesn't have 6 cores, yet its funny at how close the 2600/2700K ran the i7 3930K despite two less cores:ange:

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
As said above Kavery is the first fully-enabled HSA APU.

I thought that "full" HSA will be delivered somewhere around excavator. (With all those fancy features like automatically sending all FP calculations to the GPU, for eg.)
Kaveri looks just like unified system and GPU memory, and that too is in doubt whether it will be present on desktop models.

What works great for fixed hardware, may not work so great on variable hardware.

Again, for the several hundredth time: The majority of tasks do not scale to multiple threads. Some, like encoding, do, and FX tends to win those benchmarks (as I predicted back before BD even launched, remember?) But single-threaded benchmarks are still perfectly valid, because guess what? The tasks they are simulated also tend to be single threaded, because they DO NOT SCALE. And guess what? Some people like to know how CPU's do at those tasks.

The mindset of "we can make everything parallel, if we try", is stupid and wrong. Some stuff does NOT scale, period. Disregarding benchmarks on that basis alone is silly and shows bias on your part.

Sandy is a "set point" for Intel (I'd say "match point", but that would mean AMD going bankrupt, haha), nothing to argue there, since BD came right after it... So AMD didn't have anything to offer seriously until PD's 8350 came out and actually closed the gap and got competitive again. If you ask me, the best CPU from AMD until the 8350 was either the Phenom II 980 or the 1100T, where the 1100T is a very good value if you can find it for cheap, if you ask me. This is thinking on the higher tier from AMD, not the lower bargains it has.

Cheers!

8350rocks

Distinguished

No, Intel didn't make anybody at AMD do anything...you read too much between the lines. From a business perspective, if your competitor can charge an arm and a leg with an inferior product...then why wouldn't you ask all the money for a product you have that's dramatically better?

I think they overcharged...but I waited for prices to drop and still bought a better product than Intel offered. Look at the i7-3970x...it's not anywhere near 500% faster than the FX 8350...but it costs 500% the price of the FX 8350. Is that justified? No more than AMD was justified in asking stupid money. Additionally, the management at that time wanted to go head to head with Intel and be the "big dog" which ended up ultimately putting them in the position they are in now. If they had not done what they did to leverage their assets for a fab, and instead used the Motorola fab they were contracted with at the time, they would probably be in top shape today. However, hindsight is always 20/20...and good foresight is very rare.

Java:

It is obvious you want to bash AMD to glorify Intel in countless ways, whether it be a manufacturing process or IRRELEVANT power consumption that is still less than the BASE PRICE of the competing Intel HasBurst™/Hasbeen™/Failwell™/Hasfail™ processor. If you are a user of multi-threaded software, today's FX8350 will utterly destroy your fabled 4670K and can beat the 4770K in many tasks. Steamroller can very well be able catch up with Failwell due to its lack of improvement over Ivy Bridge. Intel's Sandy/Ivy Bridge and even Haswell processors are not at all a bad choice, but stop glorifying Haswell on this thread and leave before we can get the mods to remove your posts. If you want to bash AMD, go somewhere else. Haswell is just a very minor step up for a tock, stop making it some sort of magical object. On that, I will stop feeding the troll.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Cost is a factor but MS Dev Studio (paid) is used far more than gcc which is free. While I prefer open standards as well, they can move at a snails pace because there are too many drivers at the wheel.

Especially when resources are shared between a coders jobs that pay the bills, and those that are donated. Few are lucky enough to work on open source projects 100% of the time at full pay.

jdwii

Splendid

Its also because Amd has shown nothing to be competitive in that area so Intel feels unthreatened. Intel isn't ran by engineers its ran by businessmen who ruin the engineering department somewhat like Amd.

Upendra09

Distinguished
wow I have missed all these flame wars, anyway it seems right now AMD is still in the same underdog position it was when i bought my 965 Deneb BE, so do you guys think AMD will be able to come up with something better in the coming months? by August? what about in the laptop/Ultrabook market, will AMD be able to outperform Intel in terms of combined CPU/GPU performance?

8350rocks

Distinguished

Kabini and Temash already do that, they were just released for mobile solutions (laptops/tablets). Also, in the next 4-6 months Kaveri will come out on the desktop, which is the 1st product with the new steamroller cores. FX steamroller is supposed to be coming in Q1 2014.

EDIT: Steamroller is expected to catch up to 4th gen Intel (hasfail) based on projections of 30% improvement via improvements to the architecture.

Are your referring to single-core performance, because in several multi-threaded applications, the FX8350 can be heaps and bounds faster than thee 3770K and even rivals the 3960X in some GCC 4.8 compiled benchmarks! If Steamroller is 30% faster, it will very likely defeat Haswell. That being said, it all comes down to if the software is biased toward Intel.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Long time no see :3

How you been? Anything catch fire for no apparent reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.