AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 293 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

LOL. I avoided the part I was sure would confuse you... and your reply confirms that my suspicion was right.

What you continue without understanding is that they are testing a phone-level chip. Aka the chip is thermally constrained to fit inside a phone. That phone-level chip is offering a 40-80% of the performance of an i5/i7 laptop chip, but is consuming only 1W-2.5W.

Nobody mentioned SDPs or TDPs. You are again making up things in your brain. The phone chip was consuming a maximum of 2.5W during those tests (and ~700mW at iddle). I can sure you that the Ivy Bridge chips used in that comparison consume much much much more than 2.5W. The conclusion is evident the new Silvermont architecture is much much more efficient than Ivy Bridge.

If the phone-level chip was scaled up to something as 8W, it would be faster than the Ivy Bridge chips in raw performance, but guess what? Then it couldn't be used inside a phone. :sarcastic:

The funny part is that the new Silvermont architecture by Intel has retained the crowd only during one week! Apple has just released its new phone chip and has humiliated Intel

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/6

A dual-core ARM64 @ 1.3Ghz is offering about the same raw performance than a (Kabini) quad-core jaguar @ 1.5GHz. And don't miss that the Apple chip is thermally constrained to phone-level (single digit power consumption).

8350rocks

Distinguished

http://www.webpronews.com/as-pcs-tank-gaming-hardware-sales-are-steady-2013-08

Dr. John Peddie (Ph.D.) has a research company that shows gaming PCs are on the rise, dramatically.

As you so often say, Google is your friend.

8350rocks

Distinguished

If you're referring to the chart where the iphone 5s is running iOS (mobile OS) vs. the A4-5000 running winblows 8...you're seriously misunderstanding the reference.

Winblows 8 or RT on that iphone 5s would slow it down dramatically. A mobile OS is much less convoluted than a full blown desktop OS...it has to be. Because ARM CPUs in mobile phones cannot run a full blown desktop OS very fast, they don't have the raw compute power.

Now that I've straightened out that mess, go back to the drawing board and draw some wrong conclusions from another presentation.

That slide from AT is simply there as a comparison of unlike architectures to show relative performance to what your laptop might have. It's far from a be all end all comparison.

The A7 isn't that great...is it a step forward for ARM? Sure, and Apple as well. However, keep in mind...the man who designed that chip now wears an AMD hat, or have you forgotten that the A7 was JK's last project at Apple?

As someone pointed out quite a while back, when JK left, the silicon renaissance at Apple ended.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You are deluded. Intel makes lots of money...they wouldn't be nearly as big as they were if they didn't.

Additionally, Intel charges a premium for their CPUs because it says "Intel Inside" on the PC Case when an OEM puts it in there, and people think that's a premium product. When reality shows otherwise.

AMD is not nearly as far behind Intel as you think. 5 FPS difference on a 50 FPS benchmark is 10% now. Intel just improved a whopping 5% with hasfail...meaning AMD might be 15% behind on Intel's best day. So a 20-30% improvement with Steamroller cores would put them right where Intel is, or, perhaps, even slightly better.

So go talk about Intel elsewhere. The numbers show you lie.

BTW: Don't bother rolling out archaic x87 benchmarks from 15 years ago to talk about IPC again, that argument holds less water than a bucket with a hole in the bottom.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
Go home hafijur, you're drunk!

Annnndddd loook!!!! Turns out us so called "AMD fanbois" were right!

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/xbox-one-ps4-amd-apu-pc-gaming,24295.html

"When consoles are first launched, games are first developed on console and then ported to PC," he added. "Because it's our architecture there, it's easier to port the games. And because they're first developed on our hardware, there should be a performance advantage. They should run better on our hardware. So if we can create that performance advantage on the PC, from a graphics point of view, then we can give our customers a better gaming experience and grow our market share."

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/mannerisms/general/the-intel-nanometre-2013-02/

Intel is not as far ahead as you think it is. 22nm is more like 26nm if you were to measure it by the same rules as the rest of the industry measures it.

You can choose calling Intel 22nm ~26nm or you can choose calling TSMC 28nm more like ~24nm and GloFo 32nm more like 26nm.

The gap is not as large as you would think, buddy. Unless you plan on fighting the entire chip fabrication industry that Intel is cheating by using evidence provided by Intel.

EDIT: and yes, thanks for providing the sources that gaming PCs are on the rise. It just took a simple 5 second google search to find thousands of sources, even a source from AMD itself, that gaming PC is doing fantastic.

There is substantial evidence behind my theory that gaming PC is growing, but it's growing slower than traditional DT is shrinking and the DT numbers are lumping gaming DT and traditional DT together to make gaming DT look like it's dying.

Which should be no surprise. Game publishers don't like gaming DT because of piracy. Intel doesn't want it because upgrade cycles are dominated by AMD and Nvidia GPUs. Game developers don't want it because it's easier to satisfy console gamers. There are a lot of factors pushing against gaming DTs. If AMD does go for being strong in gaming DTs, they're going to have a very big fight, but having the consoles is a massive win. It's akin to having control of Microsoft Windows and some large software vendors like Adobe when introducing AMD64 extension.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Emphasis mine...

This is exactly my point...EVERYTHING you present as facts are, in fact, your opinion. You offer nothing more than that, which is not productive in a technical discussion, and frankly, pisses a lot of people off.

How I see it, you're just an uninformed little troll who loves Intel more than anything else on earth.

Now, the difference there is, I have 150+ pages of proof that how I see it, is not far off the mark.

You have nothing to show but opinions, and do you know what they say about opinions?

They say they're like @$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink!

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Lol, how I read this post.

I'm sure, anyone of us in this thread would take a 8 core i7 over a FX 8350 any day as long as it was the same ball park price point wise. Truth is, the FX 8350 meets 8350rocks' needs at the right price point.

hafijur, you haven't even said if you've owned a AMD processor.

I talked to Intel eng, and he even told me Most of Intel's products are over priced. He told me the i5 is probably their best budget processor for any gamer. Unless if they're going QHD or 4K, then a 6 core i7 would be best.

He even stated that anything AMD prices similar to an intel product, they perform similarly. Hence FX 8350 = i5 (and i7 in other applications)

Speaking of which, Intel has barely evolved since the Core Arch, a 3.6GHz+ Yorkfield can still kick@$$ and take names. You realize the Dell Laptop was from 07 and was a budget system right?

8350rocks

Distinguished

You're comparing a budget laptop to a mid range laptop from different architectures that were 3 years apart in technology...

Yeah. That's called false equivalency.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

There, you can read about the flaws in every argument you present in one place. Because that's your modus operandi...false equivalency.

Riight, the "real IPC" has not changed since Bloomfield, while adding at most, a 30% increase that be countered with an everyday OC and relying on a 18 year old P6 based arch, got it...

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Im sure the HP laptops common problem was an AMD problem.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12227296_fix-reflow-nvidia-hp.html

or not.

Your other problem was probably windows vista running on a 200rpm hard drive.

other than that, sober up before posting runonsentencesthatmakenosenseatall.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

lets just check that shall we?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bay-trail-celeron-j1750-performance,3614-3.html

wow, what do you know ... a 10W bay trail ...

photoshop.png

ya .. thats definately on par with Ivy Bridge ... 2.4ghz dual core to 2.6 dual core .. IVY is over 2x as fast. Must be that 200 mhz speed advantage. I bet If you clock that bay trail to 2.6 ghz it will wipe IVY bridge off the map.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

efficiency.png

wow that is impressive, you saved 9W by waiting over twice as long. thats a savings of 0.1 cents @12c/kwh.

the only people excited are the people who think thats a bargain. Obviously your time is worth $0.001.

8350rocks

Distinguished

LOL!!!

Baytrail is so exciting???

Kabini mops the floor with it across the board!!!

I guess Kabini is that exciting too, huh? Since it's even better performance per watt than Baytrail, and better performance clock for clock, and better performance per dollar too.

LOL!!! Intel fanboys are hilarious!!!!

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

But you miss that I already considered the overhead from different OSs, that is why I said "about the same performance" instead of "up to twice faster".

You can see it from an alternative point of view. AMD claims that the standard A57 is about so faster as its own jaguar core. And Apple custom core is better than the standard.

Interesting that you mention JK. Some people believed that JK return to AMD was for working on a new high-performance x86 core. However, its first work at AMD has been the development of an ARM/x86 hybrid CPU. And I suspect that JK main project at AMD will be the design of a custom ARM core for competing with Nvidia and the like. Recall that Seattle uses the standard A57.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

These benchmarks make it look even more impressive xD

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/bay-trail-celeron-j1750-performance,3614-6.html

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Nope. Excavator is coming in 2015.

LOL That was funny as well. You pretended to compare a ~2W chip to a ~20W chip and when I quadrupled the former chip to ~8W for comparing it with the ~20W in the same benchmark, showing you that the new architecture is more efficient, you reaction is... comparing now a 10W to a 55W chip! Funny, really funny. Let me guess If I now scale up the chip above the 10W you will change the other chip again. Will you chose a 130W maybe?

I wonder why you are ignoring the conclusions of the same article that you are using to obtain your figures. Take a look to the section "Bail Trail is faster and much more efficient":

When Intel introduced us to its Silvermont architecture, the company made grand claims of increased performance at a given thermal ceiling, or similar performance at reduced power.

[...]

The company wasn't exaggerating when it suggested that the Silvermont architecture could as much as double performance at a given power limit. Snappy little passively-cooled platforms are almost certainly on their way toward the end of the year. Intel tells us that its partners are already working on fully integrated desktops and all-in-one designs, as well as channel-oriented motherboards with soldered-down CPUs.

efficiency.png

8350rocks

Distinguished

Actually considering it's roughly 50% faster, and only consumes about 40% more power, it's better perf/watt. It's better clock for clock as the kabini is clocked @ 1.5 GHz and baytrail is clocked higher and performs worse. Also, in terms of perf/$ the A4-5000 is showing up in netbooks for $349 with a better iGPU than baytrail. I doubt we see baytrail in netbooks at that price point at all.

Exciting times to hate Intel for sure!!!

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

They need to realize:
1. It's a custom OS made for AMD
2. There's no other hardware competition for Consoles right now
3. PC does not = Console
4. Yes the hardware is better than last generation, however, the architecture with no doubt will be lowered. My Core 2 Quad Q8300 and Radeon 5570 are about the same performance of these consoles. (ex: BF4. Really no performance difference from BF3, and to get 60 FPS on a console? Yeah that needs some serious tuning, especially considering that the console version on lowest possible settings on my pc runs on multiplayer at ~20-30 FPS).

They are leaving out major facts. Also I saw a post earlier about how Intel isn't really leaving Desktop and they are implementing more into the Extreme series.

Unless they dropped the price of the Extreme series, there's absolutely no point. Take a 3930k and OC it to 3.5, you'll be getting similar performance as a 3960X except with less Power Consumption and less heat.

I even think the 4930k will be amazing, on that IB-E. I'm hearing mixed feelings from gamers, but other than that, its great.

As a side note, I think you all may know this website: anandtech.com

Super fast and easy way to get your point across, as well as efficiently and correctly. They can do GPU and CPU comparisons across a surprisingly wide variety of tests. Also, there's this place: postimage.org

You can upload your own image and host it for free. I could make a comparison off of anandtech and then post it up in less than a minute. You're welcome. ^_^

image37704770comparison1.png

5570, seems legit, you realize a PS4 is packing a 7850+ CPU and 8-cores right?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

If Steamroller is 30% ipc then will be above sandy bridge in performance.

Kaveri is built over high-performance cores. It is not aimed to compete with Intel Atoms. Someone as you, who mentions AMD two or three times per post, would know that the traditional competitor of Intel Atoms are the AMD cat series. Intel Silvermont Atoms will be competing against AMD enhanced jaguar chips

http://wccftech.com/amd-jaguar-based-beema-mullins-apus-confirmed-2014-feature-hsa-enhancements/

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

lol, herpiderp bro, the people in this thread are a lot smarter than the typical iDrone that just needs someone to say "this is great!" for them to believe something is great.

You're making a fool of yourself, go home. Even if CPU performance is good, Kabini GPU is going to mop the floor with mega-downlocked Intel HD GPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.