AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 307 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Some tentative CPU alone and CPU+GPU (HSA) numbers are found here with comparison to Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge i5s.

About the supposed 13CU version of Kaveri:

During last days some rumours about a new Kaveri APU top model with larger number of graphics cores are taking the web, but the number of CUs reported is even, which seems strange; moreover, it is not known if the rumours correspond to some kind of dual graphics configuration (APU + discrete graphics).

The even number of CUs is interpreted by some as the software failing to report adequately a dual-graphics config. Others believe that one module of the supposed 3M version of Kaveri has been substituted by more iGPU and that the 13CU is a new top model Kaveri APU.

Also to add that the same guy tested an ES of a A10-6800k with the GPU clocked at 600MHz. Therefore his ES Kaveri being clocked at 600MHz GPU means nothing. I continue maintaining that Kaveri GPU will be clocked at ~900MHz.

8350rocks

Distinguished

You keep dodging the question.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Well, you can delete my entire answer to your post and then believe that I didn't answer you, but that will not change anything.

The French article coincides very much with my findings despite using a different platform. E.g. taking their

IMG0042460.png

and assuming Kaveri will be about a 20% faster than Richland puts Kaveri at the level of the FX-6000 and i5 series, that is just what I found

x264-kaveri-pre.png

Of course, this is without any HSA acceleration. With HSA acceleration the Kaveri APU would be 2x-3x faster than the fastest chip tested by them.

Seems pretty good for the 8320, $50 cheaper after all... You do realize that a 30% increase in single core performance may very well put it @K10 or even SB per core right?

I agree about a lot of the limitations, however, it does provide some nice features for ports to PC.

Gamer I believe this is the point of Mantle. Games developed for the next generation of Consoles will support MANTLE natively anyway. When their brought to PC they will still have that support along with the additional DX path put in. Games developed exclusively on PC most likely won't have Mantle support. I think that's AMD's game plan here. To setup the situation where they get an advantage in PC gaming by supporting a console API on a PC platform.

If whatever comes after the XBONE / PS4 doesn't have MANTLE then that is when it'll die off.

Ok guys stop using GFLOP's when comparing CPU's as it's a very bad metric to use. Floating operations are actually a very small minority of the code that gets run on CPU's but it's highly scalable code. You can run that code on an integer unit but it's incredibly slow, instead it's better to run on a specialized vector co-processor. Otherwise known as a GPU. General purpose processors are instead measured by their capability to perform integer operations which compromise the vast majority of code. Integer OPs are not just 1+1 but logic compares and memory operations (get A, get B, if A > V jump D ect..). The difference in integer performance explains the huge ST difference between the AMD design and the current Intel design (2 ALU's per AMD unit vs 3 ALU's per Intel unit). Getting high integer performance requires a scalar design with multiple ALU's and the ability to rapidly predict, dispatch, execute and return the code along with a very good caching system to prevent stalling.

So yeah in the game of Integer operations, x86-64 is much stronger then ARM.

I was doing stereoscopic gaming back in 2001 and I'm still doing stereoscopic gaming today in 2013. Its not "going away" anytime soon, modern 120hz panels work just find for it. The real difference is quality of glass's, you need expensive high quality glass's otherwise you'll get bad ghosting and improper image separation.

From my own experiences introducing people to it, the biggest problem is initial adjustment and calibration. You've spent your entire life using the stereoscopic vision built into your own brain, your convergence is based on your natural eye separation. When using artificial stereoscopic vision you will experience quite a bit of vertigo for awhile as your brain has to get used to different convergence and spacing. The break in time isn't 15m or even 60m, but actually several days of consistent use. After that the headaches go away and it becomes quite natural to use.

Seems your back to selling Intel parts again. We've been over this already. Per-core there is an approximately 40% advantage towards Intel at the same clocks. This is largely due to Intel having 3 ALU's per core vs AMD's 2 ALU's per core followed by Intel's superior prediction, scheduling and caching system. AMD mitigates some of this by clocking their CPUs higher and offering more total ALU's per die. When comparing CPU's you compare them on similar price vs performance not on absolute performance.

Where the hell are you getting 70~80% from? I'm seeing 40% aggregate at same clock and less depending on software.

You keep repeating the same dishonest cherry picked benchmarks to either sell more intel CPU's or stir up more sh!t.

Superpi is x87 which has largely been depreciated. AMD's BD design has really sh!tty x87 performance as it's emulated in the SIMD arrays.

The 4670 is a $240 USD CPU with 12 ALU's (4x3) while the fx8350 is a $200 USD CPU with 16 ALU's (8x2). The 4670 is 3.4Ghz while the 8350 is 4.0Ghz. The Intel CPU technically has 50% more raw integer power (3/2) yet due to code limitations you won't always be capable of using all three ALU's on the same thread. This is why the i7's tend to have higher SMP benchmarks then the i5's even through they are the exact same chip. Those extra set of HW registers allows the additional ALU to be used more often. Intel also has a much better instruction caching / prediction system, so any data set that can't fit inside L1/L2 cache will see a significant performance drop in AMD CPU's (L3 can help sometimes).

Now stop using Anandtech's benchmark table's as those are user submitted. You have no idea what MB, memory, HDD or background application's were being used. They average the results of every submitted mark.

Using site reviews benchmarks, like Toms you can easily see the ~40% difference in capability at the same clocks. I use "~" because the exact different can swing dramatically depending on the mix of integer / SIMD operations and how well threaded the application was. Handbrake are x264 are pretty much the industry standard as their fairly vender agnostic though care must be taken about compiler options, there is a world of difference between i386 and i686 as targets (x87 vs SSE).

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

Bit tech is an inel shill website just like you are, wich is why you love it soo much.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/06/01/intel-core-i7-4770k-cpu-review/4
handbrake.png
handbrake.png

know what the difference is there? Handbrake is open source, with means you can compile it however you want. One guess what compiler Bi(ntel)-tech used
The fact that Bit-Tech is nearly the only website out there that has the 8350 getting beat by ANY I5 cpu should speak for itself. go ahead, check them. https://www.google.com/#q=8350+handbrake+review

omg AMD is 50% of Intel.

photoshop.png
premiere.png
7zip.png
3ds-max.png
blender.png

How many times do you have to be told that Stupor PI IS OLD and obsolete?

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I am using the same French site that you used here. Assuming Steamroller will be a 20% faster than Piledriver, the benchmark quoted above shows that Kaveri 4C will be at the level of i5-3330, i5-2300, and i5-2500k. The difference with the i5-2500k in that French benchmark is of a 6%, which is within the margin of error. Their findings coincide very well with my findings.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

just like some others here keep doing the same for AMD.

we have TWO forum threads for intel cpus, one for ivy bridge and another for the rest, opposed to just this one (afaik) for amd cpus. yet all the off-topic intel posts, that have nothing to do with steamroller, are being posted here. moderators?

To be fair, it IS valid to compare AMD to Intel CPU's when discussing performance. As long as performance keeps up, there are going to be comparisons.

for the sake of speculation, if intel is being compared to steamroller, or even jaguar (on a really slow news day), it may be fine... but comparing sandy bridge and ivy bridge with piledriver :no: that's 2011-2012 stuff...
intel will phase out most of sb and ivb by the time amd launches kaveri and the rest of steamroller products. intel will compete with haswell, ivy bridge-e, haswell-e and silvermont.

8350rocks

Distinguished
Name one relevant benchmark where an Intel in a similar price bracket is anywhere near 2x faster than an AMD anything...

You can't do it.

EDIT: There may be comparisons; but it shouldn't be at the level it has been, and they have been all too repetitive misrepresentations at that.

Comparisons are fine as long as it's within the scope of the topic and retains some level of sanity.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Anything is possible. 13CU may be odd but they've released odd numbers of CU before. The A6-5400K has 3CU (192 shaders). For yield reasons it may be a 14CU and they disable the worse performing one. As devices get more transistors they're relying on more die harvesting techniques. Even the Xenon (XB 360) had a spare CPU core.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Gimp actually performs quite well when compiled with bdver2 CFLAGS for me.

Just because something is FOSS does not mean it is compiled well.

For instance, LAME is open source and I saw an over 60% speed up by compiling it properly for piledriver in Gentoo as opposed to the numbers I got in Windows with the official download..

Sometimes you find compiler optimizations where you least expect them. I did the crazy thing of custom compiling a java runtime environment and it didn't do a damn thing for performance as it seems to be jre I used was compiled well. That was a waste of a lot of time, lol.

Gimp actually performs quite well when compiled with bdver2 CFLAGS for me.

Just because something is FOSS does not mean it is compiled well.

For instance, LAME is open source and I saw an over 60% speed up by compiling it properly for piledriver in Gentoo as opposed to the numbers I got in Windows with the official download..

Sometimes you find compiler optimizations where you least expect them. I did the crazy thing of custom compiling a java runtime environment and it didn't do a damn thing for performance as it seems to be jre I used was compiled well. That was a waste of a lot of time, lol.

That is the big difference between i386 and i686 targets, before going into the more advanced compiler flags. i586 to i686 isn't nearly as big a jump though.

jdwii

Splendid

Sandy bridge is NOT 80% better per core their is no way that is anywhere close to being true SuperPI is also a outdated crappy piece of software The Intel Haswell is around 40% better per clock per core then piledriver, What you keep getting confused on is the 8 core is barley used look at programs that use it to its full potential not programs that are only work for very few cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.