AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 424 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

8350rocks

Distinguished
I have assurances that we have not seen the last "halo" product line from AMD. There have been allusions to the fact that it is not a great production environment for such a product right now. That being the main issue, we may not see another FX specifically, however, we will see something along the same vein. I don't have a crystal ball to say it will be AM4 or FM2+ or even FM3, though AMD is not done with HEDT. I have assurances that is not the case at all from a source that would know.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Fair enough, but i still doubt the good will of Pudget Benchmarks... good thing we are 4 days away from knowing the truth.

And 8350Rocks, i have the same feeling and i think we will see in 8-10 months a refresh to Kaveri, possibly running at 4Ghz or faster at default and with more GCN Cores, just a few months before Carrizo arrives.

AM4 will probably only arrive when they get DDR4 and since Intel is barely going to have it with Haswell-E this year I don't see AMD adopting it till at least 2015 as they normally are behind Intel in adoption by a year. Could be they are wanting to wait till it is cheaper to keep up the lower cost platform angle or it could be because they don't care to adopt it when it is new.

I don't think AMD is done I just don't think they are going to be pushing Intel and that's what worries me. Without competition the market gets stagnant and we suffer, not AMD or Intel. Both will continue to move on and make money in other markets but if the CPUs stop advancing fast enough we wont see the amazing performance boosts we saw. Haswell had a big boot to cache performance, especially L1 cache which doubled SB and almost doubled IB.

But without fierce competition, Intel can't afford to be labeled a monopoly so they will not push as hard to keep a decent lead over AMD without being too good that AMD makes too little sales.

And NVIDIA fires a major shot here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7622/nvidia-tegra-k1/3

NVIDIA's T1 GPU, the GPU being used in Project Denver, their ARM SoC, is basically just a cut down Kepler GPU. Farther, all their new designs, including GeForce, are going to start out as mobile designs.

This is significant. NVIDIA just got the most developer support for mobile, since they support the FULL OGL/OGL ES/DirectX/CUDA instruction sets. Makes it much more attractive for traditional PC gaming studios to make a low-cost mobile offering. Makes Mantle that much of a harder sell now, since it won't be a player in mobile.

I'm still waiting for AMD to make a mobile SoC. I'm stunned they haven't gone this route yet, especially since, via Trinity, they should be best positioned for it.

UnrelatedTopic

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
But they are under strict competition. The era of apus is dawning and, like x64, AMD is leading the charge. Like it or not (I was disappointed at first) the time of dCPU is coming to a close and like single core cpus it's going the way of the dodo. There will be no steamroller fx due in the next two years not because amd had given up on HEDT but there simply is no demand for 8 core cpus anymore and besides who needs 8 cores when you have 12 core apus right? Lol

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
Mantle will succeed because of the consoles I think, I know they dont use mantle as such but thats because they dont need it, its the pc that does. amd will take big chunks of nvidia/intel market share in the next few years imo with the console wins, kaveri/huma and mantle.

i thought nvidia's demo was very weak and lacking. it rehashed the old stuff and made a big deal about project denver only to reveal it as a 64-bit dual core cpu and a 32bit version with a15 cores. wth, not even a53? did apple really node-block nvidia from 20nm?(rhetorical question, idc) the 64bit soc had a lot of cache but i don't think it'll help in 'wide' tasks.

i am a bit disappointed at only "45% better perf" information. i was expecting more on mantle (unless i've missed it). i blame call of .. i mean bf4.

afaik, amd's best shot at mobile soc will come around the time they launch seattle, prolly with a57+gcn 2.0 cores soc built on 20/28nm. jaguar/puma can't go lower power without sdp (intel's latest scam that amd joined), gcn 1.0, 1.1 don't seem too friendly towards low power. er.. assuming by mobile you mean smartphone soc.

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

lol technically we could argue that top kaveri is a 516 core apu, mooooooooar coooooars

The APU basically replaces the older SoC concept. Same deal though. The issue is, with a CPU+GPU on the same die, you have limited space to put other enhancements to improve performance. You'll never get top CPU or top GPU performance as a result. Dedicated CPUs and dedicated GPUs aren't going anywhere.

Mantle will succeed because of the consoles I think, I know they dont use mantle as such but thats because they dont need it, its the pc that does

Not really. Aside from the poor logic, PCs offer more performance then next-gen consoles. So how do PCs need Mantle more?

Frankly, I find the GPU more important here. If the slides speak true, NVIDIA is going all in on mobile. This means NVIDIA GPUs are going to get less power hungry, and more efficient. Could be interesting to see Maxwell performance as a result.

Development side, you now have the same GPU API support on mobile that you do on PCs. For development, that's HUGE, and a big feather in NVIDIAs cap, especially since AMD is absent from the mobile space [which still boggles me].

Tegra 5, honestly, is looking like the first good SoC out of NVIDIA. If it gains any traction, they could really make a move to take over mobile.

i am a bit disappointed at only "45% better perf" information. i was expecting more on mantle (unless i've missed it). i blame call of .. i mean bf4.

Time and money. And the fact they had to stop development to make the game work in the first place. And I still suspect, on higher tier hardware, the effects of Mantle are going to be a LOT smaller.

ah, now i understand. it's an advantage for nvidia but from performance, they're still behind imagination and qualcomm. i read somewhere that nvidia's socs were too power hungry. i think same issue plagues amd's low power x86 cores - those may improve with 20nm.

may be. but in entry level where users will be willing to squeeze out every performance without paying more, mantle makes sense to me. by users i mean people who always play games at 768p/800p/900p tn display fed from a pc running jetway/ecs/biostar mobo, single dimm 4GB ram, powered by psus of questionable quality. unfortunately, amd neglects entry level products' software support, it either trickles down from high end, or it's neglected altogether. for those guys, mantle will be very welcome. also for the poor suckers (who are annoyed by framerate drops and lags) got tricked into buying amd cpus for online multiplayer/gaming - for those, reduction of cpu overhead may literally reduce headaches.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
MANTLE is a WIN, the only bad thing i see about it... well, i dont really see anything wrong with it as a Gamer and Final User, even Johan Andersson said the cost and time to port any game to MANTLE are minimum, it took them like a month to prepare MANTLE and up to 10% max of the total cost, as he said it really is worth it and affordable at the end of the day, since most code from the Consoles can be re used in MANTLE it is actually quite easy to sopport it.

The only hurted with MANTLE are nVidia and DirectX, i have no idea what the hell was nVidia thinking when announced GameWorks as MANTLE response... it seems no one is talking about it and the very people talking about GameWorks is mostly negative stuff.

MS is already working on DX12 and they said they were doing it it from scratch mostly, not long ago MS said they had no plans for a new version of DX but i guess seeing all the hype with MANTLE it meant horrible PR for MS, they will probably concentrate on a lot of performance with DX12 or some form of lower level calls (but not as low as MANTLE), at the end of the day MANTLE will force MS to evolve DX, which is great! i wish DX will go OpenSource and start supporting Close to Metal code and MANTLE disappears, if this happens there will be no need for MANTLE, but as of now MANTLE is awesome for all those people who got HD7000 and R7-R9 Series, even if stronger GPUs dont get the full 45% performance boost, any performance boost is greatly appreciated.

UnrelatedTopic

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
I agree dCPU still viable but theyll slowly fade away. 8 Core vishera is still better than quad core cranberries but that'll change over time as software increases support for HSA

You mean gamerk, you're wondering why we would want a fat free API to build applications (graphics in this case)? JEEZ, I WONDER WHY WE WOULD WANT THAT.

Glide in its time was actually quite famous. The problem was 3DFX not supporting new stuff from OGL and DX and being bought by nVidia, lol.

I do agree with you it will be a matter of cost, but I don't think, from the technical point of view, it will fail right away as a piece of technology. As a developer, and a nerd at heart, I do want new technologies that reduce the fat from my programming. I feel dirty when I have to use Hibernate (for example) instead of Springs JDBC Template. I'm PRETTY sure graphical veterans will rather use the close-to-metal API most of the time and newbies in programming will transition from DX/OGL to MANTLE with little effort (specially the ones coding for consoles).

So, again, if MANTLE fails, it won't be from a technical point of view. As is the norm for AMD, it will be from low adoption, which is not a technical thing. And so far, adoption is quite fine, for being a new tech IMO.

In regards to AMD not building SoCs. I think they do, but they're keeping them for Embedded systems for the time being IIRC. Also, remember when they got ATI and kind of like... You know... Sold their low power graphical patents/licenses to Qualcomm? They might be feeling the lose like, right now, hahaha.

Cheers!

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

To take proper full advantage of amd hardware eg huma, dual graphics, xfire, remember theres going to be x86 amd gcn/huma apus in around 100 million homes across the world in a few years not even counting pc/laptop sales. I'm not sure whats in the wii u ibm cpu + gcn gpu??

jdwii

Splendid

Not trying to start anything but this forum(from the mods) has allowed this guy to continue putting others down and its almost like he gets special treatment,

Again after he continued on and on for weeks and weeks when the time comes and he is wrong its called provoking the other user?

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I have not seen any offensive or trolling comments from Juanrga, the only thing i noticed is that he think to be right every single time... but there is no rule against that.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I don`t think that qualifies as an offense or as trolling.

Anyway i got a question for who ever can answer, i was wondering if any applications can take advantage of HUMA of that or if the applications need to be written specifically to support HUMA.

juggernautxtr

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

He is constant about always being right.
problem about dropping dcpu and dgpu, an APU is far from reaching high lvl performance requirements needed to produce what they use.
notice the server maps no 6-10 core server parts? APU no where near strong enough.
give up kraken super computer? worth millions in upgrades alone.
umm this is still a huge market that is still growing and giving up any chance to make money there is completely stupid.
kaveri in all actuallity would have to dump all over an I7 4770k to even think of taking those spots and i very much doubt it has that kinda power.

steamroller is either a complete flop or it is so stupidly ready at task that AMD is keeping mouth shut.
the APU is in no way ready to replace DCPU or DGPU it's going to take a few more years for these to kick in.

If AMD dropped dcpu amd would be losing even more server space,causing even higher loss in income. that 5% is still huge in terms of cash flow.

UnrelatedTopic

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

well we could start

AMD Steamroller/Excavator speculation... and expert conjecture

or
Just plain and simple

AMD speculation... and expert conjecture Steamroller and beyond

Lets move on eh? If Juan gets annoying I'll waterboard him too ... Why not see what you can find on cache latency for this new part ... thats always an interestign discussion because Intel do it so well ... and AMD have some clear ground to make up, as it obviously detracts from individual core IPC.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

But we already showed you current games that scale well up to 8 cores. I also showed you a thread scheduler for killzone showing six-cores of the PS4 working fully. All forthcoming games developed for PS4/Xbox1 will be well-threaded.

Moreover, Kaveri also comes in dual-core configuration and will run faster the older dual-threaded games that you mention often.

Nobody here said that AMD is abandoning HEDT. At contrary it was said that AMD has plans for an ultra-high-performance APU since several years ago. I already mentioned the original doc from AMD reports stacked RAM (32-64GB) in the GPU, 10 TFLOP of performance, quad-channel memory, and 4 modules (8 cores), with 256-bit FMAC units per core in a 200-250W rated APU. Nvidia has a similar design with a 300W rated APU. Both are aimed to supercomputers/servers.

I will add that the original AMD design mentions cache coherent L3 shared between CPU and iGPU. I don't think we will see that design but an updated model. AMD has announced a pair of weeks ago that are collaborating with Hynix to release stacked RAM based in JEDEC standard.

Kaveri/Berlin and Carrizo/Toronto will use DDR memory and GlobalFoundries immature node. This is why the FX/Warsaw CPU line will be extended up to 2015. Then will come Basilisk APU (rumor). Depending of process technology available and the status of stacked RAM AMD could frop FX line then and move to an all APU strategy from tablets to supercomputers.

Status
Not open for further replies.