AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 46 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

The article says its a new Piledriver cpu (FX) in June, not steamroller.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I have to agree with iceclock, If AMD can successfully get a 30-40% performance (just speculation from rumors, some people think 20-25%) increase for Bulldozer to Steamroller, I am pretty sure they will break out their APU (Kaveri) before they bust out the FX version. The APU would easily net more money for AMD, expecially if they sell THEIR 2133 or 1866 memory with OEM systems(making money from the CPU and memory at the same time for each system sold.)

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

It should be, because Piledriver beats it by about 5%. 15% improvement over Piledriver should be within reach for AMD. Also the 28nm could help along with the high density library if I understand it correctly, resulting in less heat and power usage if I am understanding this architectural update correctly.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
AMD's CTO said Steamroller was finished in August 2012, yet later in the year it suddenly got delayed. Any chance AMD sold the initial Steamroller APU's off to Sony to bake their PS4?

Jaguar sounds too underpowered for a console that's to last 5+ years.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/29/amd_papermaster_steamroller_seamicro_opteron/

Notice the "Liverpool" codename died after the rumored delays. Now the rumor is Jaguar which is the next new core to come out.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

AMD wanted 22nm but GloFo couldn't deliver (d@mn lairs). I wish the other Chip Foundries could at least produce 22nm. I'm talking about today, not next year...

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Have you guys looked at the architecture? The high density library looks interesting, according to AMD bulldozer's arch could take up 30% less space in the same 32nm fab. Not sure how this will impact performance though.

Just remember, as the market has shifted, we will see changes in line ups and releases.
If Intel or AMD didnt do this, theyd just be losing money.
If you look at Dell and whats going on there, even they were surprised by the market switch and drop off.

So DT may take a back seat on releases in the future, as this effects AMD more, due to their clientele base vs Intel, tho Intel also is changing.

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012

Interesting that you should say that! We shall find out Feb 18th I believe... Especially if xbox is coming out with a 8core cpu lol..

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

True, I also want to see how well the Xbox 720/PS4 will help AMD. Some people say that it will just keep them alive, and others say it should boost their net profits by a decent amount.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Im not trying to say that Piledriver is a bad overclocker, it's just that the scaling sucks. 500Mhz on Intel is much better than 500Mhz for AMD in most single or low threaded applications. So with Steamy I wanna see a ton of single threaded performance increase over Piledriver, and better OC scaling. I personally don't care about TDP, so 125w vs 77w in a desktop is no biggy.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

you can't continually die shrink whout shrinking power consumption, you can't increase clock speeds without reducing power. this is a good thing.

oh i agree. im just saying. im looking forward to a powerful cpu. amd needs a powerhorse on there shoulder. no wonder there losing money, first bought ati. than stop competing with intel. now gonna mostly do arms chips. i hope they dont scrap there performance series. cuz im gonna be pissed.

Status
Not open for further replies.