AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 494 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

That's fine, if it does actually happen, then great, and if it gets ported over to Linux, then even better. But talking about Mantle being open in the present tense is incorrect.

Talking of Linux ports, great to see another AAA title getting Linux support from day 1. If AMD needed a launch title for Mantle on Linux, then Civilisation would be a great one to go with. Over to AMD now.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

AMD hardware is not required, but Nvidia will not support anything coming from AMD. Why do you believe Nvidia is not member of HSA foundation? Because Nvidia want pull their proprietary CUDA approach.

This link is also relevant. AMD goal is to release MANTLE as open standard by late 2014:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/184

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

the same way intel is not part of the HSA foundation. they're competitors in a multi billion dollar landscape.

with regards to true audio, AMD hardware is required, that's why you only get that feature enabled on 3 cards as of the moment isn't it?

In the R7 260X, there are two three cores integrated on the Bonaire GPU. The higher-end R9 290 and 290X will also feature three DSP cores dedicated to TrueAudio.

http://

good thing i have the 260x (which i can get for like $97) as one of the potential replacements for my current gts450. i know a lot of you guys laughed at my celeron/gts450 combo but i already moved on with an i5-3450 (which interestingly i got for $97 ), beats any APU out there for like 5x performance.

can you guys agree to call mantle and trueaudio open once it's officially announced as "open" by amd itself?

http://

seems like nvidia is part of vesa.org. there will be possibilities for freesync on nvidia hardware (i hope).

That sounds more like an embedded chip for a SoC/Kiosk and a "regular" CPU (even for a SoC).

Cheers!

AMD Demos Fedora Running on its ARM and HSA chips
http://semiaccurate.com/2014/04/14/amd-demos-fedora-running-arm-hsa-chips/
seattle and berlin running fedora linux.

Gigabyte G1.Sniper A88X Review
http://www.bjorn3d.com/2014/04/gigabyte-g1-sniper-a88x-review/
used an a10 6800k, but interested kaveri buyers should watch out for bios versions and properly update them beforehand. it's true for all mobos released before kaveri launch.

AMD Athlon 5350 / 5150 & Sempron 3850 / 2650
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_athlon_sempron&num=1

Micron Technology Licenses Avago Technologies' 30G SerDes for Hybrid Memory Cube
http://www.techpowerup.com/199838/micron-technology-licenses-avago-technologies-30g-serdes-for-hybrid-memory-cube.html

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
I think you guys are assuming that Nvidia and Intel don't want to be in HSA Foundation, and instead that they aren't allowed in.

Look at the list of companies in the HSA Foundation. A significant portion of them are companies that have been wronged by Intel and Nvidia.

Nvidia has made absolutely zero friends in the ARM CPU arena. Their Tegra marketing depends entirely on comparing their parts that use significantly more power to competitors lower power parts and comparing future Nvidia products to the competition's old parts.

Intel has cheated in benchmarks hardcore and has lost in court over it. Via is a member of HSA foundation and they got screwed so hard by Intel that changing the CPU vendor name of their CPUs could net you a 50% performance gain, meaning Intel crippled everything.

And then you have the SYSMARK thing with Intel basically taking over the benchmark and sabotaging it in that special Intel way, like making GPU score not count for anything.

Nearly all of the Founders have a lot to lose against Intel and they need every advantage they can get.

The HSA foundation is a way for those companies who can't compete directly with Intel (and probably Nvidia) to give themselves a massive software advantage and to lock Intel and Nvidia out of it.

I see a bunch of companies in the HSA list that have seen or experienced Intel having inferior products doing much better in benchmarks and such because Intel has a software advantage via ICC or whatever (like lying about TDP and inventing new measures of heat disippation and energy consumption).

Even if Intel and Nvidia wanted to be in the HSA foundation, they coudn't. Companies like Imagination have a right to be afraid of Nvidia. They have a lot more experience with high performance GPUs, and for them to have HSA would be a massive advantage and if HSA takes off, it will basically ensure that Nvidia's Tegra devices never go anywhere.

Rum

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013

Speaking of Intels inferior products, check out the new MSI Mobo that supports deliding Haswell...
http://wccftech.com/msi-z97-xpower-ac-flagship-motherboard-support-delid-haswell-processors-features-oc-engine-gen-military-class-components/

<internal rant about amd, greed, wasted potential, linux, ea-dice, oxide, user abuse, lame excuse etc. etc.>
amd should simultenously support android (64-bit), mantle on linux and steam o.s. android + mantle + mullins soc and it's successors make a good combo for portable gaming. i hope amd change their mind after they finalize mantle for windows. 'nothing else to do but wait.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Interesting...I have assurances otherwise, it just may take longer than they would like. The game I am working on will actually have Mantle support and be for Linux/OSX in addition to windows, and it is on a very popular and well known engine...

colinp

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012

Haha, it wasn't that long ago that you were trying to assure me that Mantle was already in Linux.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Well, I said AMD had already added some of the features necessary in the Linux drivers. The fact that it is not fully enabled at this time is a bit disappointing...however, the game we are designing will not be out until late 2015/early 2016 anyway...so there will be time for them to get their ducks in a row between now and then anyway.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I told you all the same like 3 months ago, but Juanrga sweared to God MANTLE would arrive to Linux... the reason why i believed that MANTLE will not make it to SteamOS is the following link:

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/amd-aims-to-give-opengl-a-big-boost-api-wont-be-the-bottleneck/

They basically said they are working to give OpenGL the same level (or close) of performance as MANTLE.

Lets keep theories out of this. We have no idea why they would or wouldn't. Considering that Intel and AMD work on a lot of other standards and things together, I doubt it is a "they can't be" as consortiums normally mean they share what they discover together, i.e. Intel/Micron share their NAND technology together.

Sometimes it is a simple as they do not see the benefit in it. Why didn't Intel adopt SOI? They didn't see the benefit to it.

It is what it is and while HSA seems to have some benefits, much like Mantle it will only be beneficial once it is supported by everyone. Some people will always go Intel or AMD or NVidia, that is just the way things are so, again, much like Mantle, when it benefits everyone we will see it do better.

I remember early rumors of the 290X (originally HD 9970) were everything from 2x everything (shaders, ROPS and TMUs) with XDR 2 RAM to one that looked like an APU with a 4 module/8 thread CPU inside of it.

It is honestly too early to tell but if it is 20nm I can see them being able to jump up to that many shaders and such.

The real question is if the performance will be there.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Does anyone think that the GPU race is getting a bit out of hand? The hardware and software advancements are being made at completely different paces. Sure the software is getting harder to process, however, the 700 series only came out about 5-6 months ago (If I'm correct), and Nvidia is already seeking to it's next gen, even though their GTX 760 can do great at high resolutions and high qualities. Same goes for AMD with their 200 / 200x series. An R9 270x can do about the same performance as a GTX 760.

Of course each engine is different, but many of these companies have been making software that, sure is harder to process, but for each new release, the amount of new-gen GPUs that can process it well it getting greater and greater. That being said, I don't see why Nvidia and/or AMD hold the reigns to spend more money on development of a great card, rather than a set of cards that are 15-20% better than the last gen, so that way then can pump out cards (assuming the pricing isn't at Titan Z levels), that are a little cheaper but then can pump out much more performance than the previous gen.

both amd and nvidia's gpus are nearly 2-3 years old except hawaii and gm107. the "new" models are all based on older gpus. gtx 770, 760 uses the gk104 gpu. titan z, titan blackwhatever, 780, 780ti all use gk110. radeon r9 280, 280x uses tahiti. 270/x use pitcairn xt, r7 265 uses pitcairn pro (overclocked gpu and vram). both amd and nvidia are bound due to tsmc. when tsmc makes their 20nm process available to amd and nvidia, new gpus will come out.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

From collinp link:

AMD's response was that they would like to see Mantle on Linux but it comes down to a resource issue.

AMD has only a limited number of engineers/programmers.

Moreover, I already gave in this thread a link mentioning that AMD was already in contact with developers to bring MANTLE to linux.

AMD want push both MANTLE and OGL on linux by the same reason that pushes both DX12 and MANTLE on Windows.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I don't see the problem. Instead upgrading each gen, just do it each two or three gens. From Nvidia/AMD position incremental upgrades in technology are easier and cheaper than huge step upgrades. You add X, test it, developers learn to use it, then add Y, test it, developers learn to use it...

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

I agree. The only reason really I think It's out of hand is just to the fact that people will buy (example me) their new (insert latest gen here [GTX 770 in my case]), for a reasonable price. Then about half a year later when they're loving life with their build, you see other more expensive builds and then the new gen comes out at an even "better" price.

It does suck knowing that you're not the latest gen, but thank god for SLI and Crossfire or I would jump off a bridge, lol.

I do hope, however, that with time, these companies do think about their pricing more. The Titan Z for $3,000, you kidding? The 295x2 is only $1500 compared to that. I do think that the stock performances are a little bit unfair though because the 295x2 is water cooled, but that price is just ridiculous for the Titan Z.

Anyways, any comments on the Kraken G10? I've been thinking about getting that with a Corsair H50 for a total price of only $90. Also thinking about the Corsair 750D.

I've heard reviews of the G10 that it cools great. For example, this guy: HiTechLegion , at 13:18 you can see that he brought a 290x reference from 95ºC to 56ºC and a GTX 770 from 72ºC to 51ºC.

There was a side note that the VRM and other things that aren't water cooled on the card, may rise by up to 10ºC in some cases, but overall, the actual GPU cooling is what mattered.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Yeah, but the thing is that this isn't just an Nvidia, Intel, and AMD thing. It's way bigger than that. I agree, I won't elaborate on this because it's all just theories and it's tangenial to what's going on in this thread. But history stands besides me with people who ally with Intel and Nvidia getting burned somehow. If I were AMD, Imagination, Via, or really any one of those I'd want to avoid partnering with Intel and Nvidia as often as possible.

Does that mean I would occassionally do it? Yeah, I might be forced to or they might be making a good offer. But the whole Embrace, Extend, Extinguish thing is alive and well and it's something to be careful of.

But regarding Linux and Mantle, I've said forever that it is going to come, but AMD is going to play it very coy until they have a big launch title. SteamOS is still kind of rough and there's no killer game for Linux yet.

I do believe AMD's approach to presenting products has changed with Hawaii/R9 290 series. We really had no idea it was coming, and AMD basically did the same thing. There were a few people who mentioned things like "wait for vesuvious" in forums, but that was it. No hype, nothing major. Just a launch.

AMD has been playing like this with everything. "keep the faith for something past AM3+", "What are your plans beyond 28nm" "we're using 28nm BULK!", "here, have a 295x2!"

It's been things like that. Just look at the last few products AMD has released and compare it to something like FX 8150 launch.

The company no longer executes the way they used to. They have changed drastically. I don't see anyone accounting for this new AMD when making conjecture about the future.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I agree

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

During unending discussion in this thread about why AMD was not releasing a Steamroller FX CPU on SOI, I mentioned often that AMD had changed radically and even gave a quote from Raja Kodury. I give it again:

Raja returns to a very different AMD than the one he left. I asked him what’s different and he responded by saying the AMD he left acted like a company that was 10x its size. Today, AMD is a much smaller and more agile company. Raja believes AMD is in a better position to take advantage of new opportunities vs. being in the hopeless position of never being able to catch up in mature markets.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7281/understanding-amd-semi-custom-strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.