AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 556 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys know that once mantle goes wide and dx12 comes out, core i3 and fx will become interchangeable. i3 will still have worse non-gaming app performance compared to hex cores and higher. fx will still have higher power consumption and higher app performance. reduction of cpu bottleneck doesn't help amd alone.

logainofhades

Titan

There are no benchmarks that I am aware of, only specs of their ability. The PS4's GPU is rated for 1.84 teraflop. The HD 7850 is rated at 1.75. The HD 7870 is rated at 2.56. Therefore, the closest equivalent is the HD 7850 at the time PS4 was released. An R7 265's 1.89 would be the closest performance card today.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/sony-ps4-launch,25094.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/504-amd-radeon-7870-7850/page2.html

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-r7-265-2gb-video-card-review-with-sapphire-dual-x-r7-265_135733

CooLWoLF

Distinguished
Do I even need to bring up the "consoles are coded closer to the metal" argument? We know this. So its definitely very hard to beat a $400 console with comparatively cheap PC hardware, UNLESS your talking about a Frankenstein upgrade if you already have monitors/peripherals/case/OS etc.

This argument is just going to remain circular. Everyone here already has their opinions and will not be changing them on the PC vs Xbox1/PS4 debate.

8350rocks

Distinguished

5th Gen Intel, does not say broadwell...that is likely the haswell refresh :)

Be careful of Intel marketing/propaganda, it is often intentionally misleading. Those chips are coming this year, and I doubt broadwell will fit into same platform...they will likely require you to buy a new platform.

logainofhades

Titan
That was not marketing or propaganda. Also this.... I used to really respect your insight, but clearly you are showing your colors as just another fanboy with a clear an utter hatred for Intel.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7875/new-unlocked-iris-pro-cpu-broadwell
AnandTech%20Unlocked%20Iris%20Pro_678x452.png

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

DX12 ~ DX11 + MANTLE.

As mentioned before to you AMD will use 14nm for 2016 products (if everything goes right). I expect AMD's new x86 arch to offer about 80--90% of the single-threaded performance of Haswell.

I explained dozens of times in this thread why there is no Steamroller FX CPU (there are FX APUs for mobile). By the same reasons given we will not see Excavator FX CPU.

Valve and SteamBox partners prove you are wrong. They will be releasing i3 gaming machines.

Kaveri top A10 provides 7750 level of performance for rendering. Its iGPU sits between the 7750 DDR3 and the 7750 GDDR5, but more close to the first, because Kaveri relies on slow DDR3 memory. If the GDDR5 version of Kaveri had not been canceled (by problems unrelated to AMD) then you would see the GDDR5 six-core version of Kaveri hitting the 7750-GDDR5.

AMD APU problem are not solved by a "die shrink". The problem is in the DDR3 bottleneck. What AMD needs is a new memory subsystem.

You are wrong. Broadwell "will be supported by existing LGA1150 motherboards, some with BIOS updates".

http://www.techpowerup.com/201936/intel-desktop-cpu-roadmap-updated.html

Not only the well-known >2x API argument has been here shown ad nauseam, but it has been also shown that the GPU in the PS4 is heavily modified. No one can purchase something similar in a PC store.

logainofhades

Titan
7850k can only be paired with up to an R7 250, and AMD recommends the ddr3 version, which is slower than an HD 7750. It is closer to a 7730 in performance. AMD isn't going to recommend a far faster GPU for its dual graphics combinations. Equivalent performance of the Kaveri GPU is an R7 240 GDDR5 or a ddr3 equipped 250.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Well, they must have changed that recently, because the last news I had was broadwell was not going to be compatible with LGA1150. Though, I must confess, I have not bothered to follow broadwell for some time. Work on the project I am on has been pretty heavy lately, plus with the AMD events going on...no time.

As for being a fanboy, I can be objective about Intel, yes they are ahead now in some metrics. AMD will be catching up soon though. Also, I would like to point out...Intel marketing and propaganda is renowned for being misleading. Their 14nm process tech is going to be closer to ~15-16nm by all other industry estimations...so...it is what it is. Note: I have also told Juan he frequently takes AMD marketing/propaganda out of context or misinterprets it as well.

Take that as you will.

EDIT: Did some digging, Z97 is the new part set that was coming...Z87 was the part set broadwell was not going to be compatible with. I stand corrected.

8350rocks

Distinguished

I actually test the R7240 DDR3 version with the 7850k. In dual graphics it does alright. There are still some missed frames, though it does make several games playable that would be barely playable otherwise. Admittedly, AMD are still working things out with the drivers for that, though I will say, the 14.6 catalyst update seems to have helped quite a bit. Each batch of drivers get continually better about lots of things...

logainofhades

Titan
I hope AMD does catch up soon. I want to see competition. I don't really care what xxnm they are on. I just want performance and I don't want an extra space heater in the summer. If AMD could at least match Haswell, I would be pretty damn impressed.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Except games like Watchdogs and Crysis 3 will still run on 4-6 cores...2-4 of which the i3 will not have.

You did miss that key part.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Forget haswell, on par with skylake is coming...

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

Why do I doubt that? That simply seems like a way to big jump for a company with limited resources.

8350rocks

Distinguished

True, but why plan just 1 step ahead...when starting a new uarch...you could plan 2-3-4 steps ahead? Jim Keller is not constrained by the rules from BD/PD/SR/EX architecture on this one...

oh you mean the non-mantle, directx 11x games that play just as much on haswell/refresh core i3 (but not pentium) and fx6300? i just checked (edit2:pclab.pl benches), haswwell/refresh core i3 get outperformed by fx8350 as usual but keeps up or beats fx6300 in both those games. fx6300 needs overclocking to beat core i3. sb/ivb will get outperformed by fx6300 like i said, due to lacking staying power.

Iron124

Reputable
Jun 1, 2014

I read an article recently that AMD has gone back to the drawing board with their CPU's, and are building a brand new architecture from scratch, due to release in late 2015 or early 2016.

Until then, I think they're gonna stick with APU's and Graphics Cards.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

You have told me lots of things and you have been corrected in each one of them.

Intel 14nm will be what the rest of industry calls ~16nm. But, as explained to you before, TSMC 16nmFF/FF+ are in reality a hybrid of 16nm and 20nm, whereas Glofo/Samsung 14nm FinFET is also a hybrid of 14nm and 20nm.

Moreover, Intel 14nm will be ready in 2015, whereas AMD 14/16FF new APUS/CPUs products will be available on 2016 and will compete with Skylake on Intel 10nm.

Stop pretending that AMD will have a process advantage, because this is not true.

No. Your new 'prediction' makes the same sense that when you claimed that Steamroller would be faster than Haswell

And limited resources as well.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

What part of "limited resources" isn't understood?

AMD is relying in a modular design and automated tools because lacks the money for a monolithic hand-crafted design. Automated design will reduce performance by about 20%. I don't know the penalty of using a modular approach.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

AMD is designing APUs/SoCs. The new CPU part is being designed by Keller and the new GPU part by Koduri. AMD will also release CPUs but those are secondary: APUs/SoCs will be the main product. Here you can see some details:

http://tech4gamers.com/amd-2014-2016-roadmap-20nm-project-skybridge-and-k12-arm-for-2016/

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

True, and I think that's only on paper! I used to believe that claim up until October last year. The consoles appear to be demonstrably lower than even that considering they can barely handle games despite compromising resolution and/or framerate.

jdwii

Splendid

I disagree to a point, A lot of newer games are using more cores, Watch dogs is something i will be testing. But lets keep in mind the 6300 plus a 30$ cooler is a pretty nice Amd setup and a 8350FX in the latest games is actually doing better then i expected. Under my benchmarks it seems like everything makes since but gaming why is the 8350FX next to the I5 when the performance per clock on Piledriver is 10% worse then my old phenom let alone anything Intel makes, i came to the conclusion that maybe game dev's are using some instruction sets on the CPU itself better or ones that perform the same on both pieces of hardware? I know in Arena chess using the default engine my 8350fx got beat so badly when my friend used his I5 Haswell at 3.2Ghz(mine 4.3Ghz)

As it stands now i build many Pentium dual core machines with 250X and i can get a decent Intel board for 50$ and this is a 400$ PC gaming build that beats anything Intel has except in general performance and then its "good enough". Then like i keep saying because Intel uses half the power you can upgrade to a I5 later and then GPU.
My brother has a A10 5800K and i just gave him my old 6950HD(750 TI performance) i did not expect it to bottleneck as bad as it is and i have it clocked at 4.4Ghz.

Status
Not open for further replies.