AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 577 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidgetmaster

Reputable
May 28, 2014
I believe it is Mantle....or well just my Gigabyte R9 270 runs like crap on mantle anyways....really bad fps drop on mantle....DX is unbelievably better on it.... and yes I'm sure still plenty of issues on BF4 end even after being released for awhile now....kinda sad. Some have no problems with mantle though and actually do see a performance increase....Mostly 280x/290x users.... did they ever fix Crossfire for BF4 yet? most were saying that was really bad....

Well, I tried out the latest drivers and they weren't compatible with RaderonPro, so I went back to 13.12.

Also, all AMD VGA users should download RadeonPro. It's amazing how much control they give you over settings. It's more like a driver wrapper than anything else, but they work great.

Cheers!

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Xiaomi-MiPad_id8666

You'll notice Tegra always gets easy reviews. It's competing in that review with a budget phone, last model LG G model, last model of Tegra, and the scaled down iPad. Of course it looks good. That's how Tegra reviews always happen. And there's always people talking about how ARM has saved the day and Nvidia Tegra will change everything.

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
LL

Confirmation of gta on mantle? Massive win if true..

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Have you tried anything else mantle other than bf4? I love bf4 wish they'd sort it out for mantle on all gcn cards, though tbh so far I've clocked up many hours on dx without a crash or any other 'common' problem.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I wouldnt take it as confirmation, the comment was made by "AMD Mexico" Moderators, they tend to be kinda clueless even to AMD stuff.

I still think GTA5 will have MANTLE none the less.

this'll sound a bit anti-amd but i hope gta 5 includes physx support or some kind of physics acceleration. mantle support is great, if mantle can help accelerate the in-game object interactions and particle effects like physx-enabled games...tressfx isn't enough....

yeah. rockstar will likely use euphoria and bullet (according to wikipedia).

edit: do intel and amd allow using their gpus as a second gpu working as opencl accelerators? i though amd would do that with kaveri (igpu being the open cl accelerator)+ primary discreet gfx (e.g. r9 270x)
edit2: got the idea from this old article here
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2011/02/17/amd-manju-hegde-gaming-physics/1

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013

what can you expect from youtube comments.. ;)

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

They been using Bullet, Euphoria , SpeedTree (and i think they are also using FaceFX) since GTA4

Ill take Bullet over PhysX anytime, both are cool but Bullet is just awesome.

I saw modern slides from AMD last years where they claim that they will offload the Physics and AI into the GPU, Bullet already supports GPU Physics, specially from Radeons. Havok also demoed 1,000,000 Objects running on the PS4.

Euphoria license is basically non existent, they seem to only work for Rockstar titles, rejecting other Devs who ask for a License, in any case Euphoria is AMAZING... wish there were something similar or better out there willing to share license to anyone willing to pay and use it.

I kinda take RAGE engine as one of the most amazing Engines, oddly enough everyone else in the Industry seems to give more credit to CryEngine, Unreal and Frostbite.

Not long ago AMD (Richard Huddy) praised the Frostbite engine as the most amazing Engine out there in regards to Tech and Features, but from what i have seen on Frostbite, i am not amazed at all... CryEngine was amazing several years ago, but right now it seems what ever CryEngine does, all the other advanced engines can do so too.

I am still waiting for a Engine who can do Advanced and Realistic destruction like the one Havok demoed couple years back, with RayTracing and realistic Fluid/Water Simulation.

"The Division" seems incredibly amazing, but we all know how this title will end up upon release thanks to CrapySoft.

I am still waiting for a Engine who can do Advanced and Realistic destruction like the one Havok demoed couple years back, with RayTracing and realistic Fluid/Water Simulation.

Fluid dynamics are REALLY expensive to do right, even demos that show it off do a lot of fakery. But there really isn't any reason we don't have destructible environments yet. And i mean that meaning DYNAMICALLY destructible, not this hardcoded breakage like BF uses.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Well, there was the Geo-Mod Engine used in Red Faction, it was not that realistic but it was cool none the less...

I have no idea why this is not used more often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2iPiK9jovo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOP_r84XXqs

I also wonder why not many games use Cloth Physics that much, it´s not even that complex... i just seen some minor stuff on Oblivion and on D&D Neverwinter Online and LA Noire.

It seems Physics in Games is getting stagnant each year, and i mean it overall... Games just been using some minor effects for particles and ragdolls, i want to see more physics implemented in games, from more realistic Ragdolls like Euphoria, Destruction, Fluid and more realistic Hair and Clothes.

TressFX was cool, but it was not that Realistic... still i love watching Lara hair moving all over the place, even if it´s not that well implemented, damn i just love physics in Games so much.

I just hate watching cloth based objects in games and as soon as i get close to them the character just goes through them... damn, so annoying.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I still heavily play GTA4 Deatchmatch, but this game is horribly optimized... if you turn off shadows the game starts running incredibly fast, i can even cram everything else to the max and no go lower than 40 fps just by cutting shadows completely.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

not gonna happen, as far as videogames with story lines are involved. but they can work on games like goat simulator and gary's mod or driving/flight sims.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
The AMD earnings call was rather depressing. The APUs continue to cannibalize themselves on 2 fronts. They cited lower chipset sales due to Mullins/Beema which integrates the PCH. And the APUs continue eating up dGPU sales.

They did hint at a new custom design win in mobile gaming. Maybe the Nintendo or PS Vita successor rumor is true.

jdwii

Splendid

Its not all that bad they lost less this year than the one before so yeah that is progress. It just shows its not enough as of yet.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2014/07/17/chipmaker-amd-posts-2q-loss-stock-dives/

The more Amd makes less products dedicated in smaller markets in which there is tough competition the more they will win.

Status
Not open for further replies.