AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 630 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

What does that even mean? And again, why would NVIDIA care? That logic is like "Game X supports Gameworks, so AMD should adopt NVIDIA's tools because Game X is too huge".

Nevermind GTA games on the PC run like crap anyways.

jdwii

Splendid

i never thought for a second they weren't going to support it since its not Amd's technology anyways.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Intel will have a very high end card in 2016 with HMC but I doubt many will buy it for gaming. It's for HPC. It will be $3500-$5000 range.

Juan, please, stop it. Take AVX2, and compare its maximum theoretical throughput, putting aside memory bandwidth constraints, and compare it to even a low-end GPU. The difference in computational capacity is not even close.

But hey, throw enough random ideas against a wall, and I'm sure you'll get something right sometime.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The Intel KL card will give >3000 GFLOPS of performance. The 295x2 only gives 1433.344 GFLOPS. But the Intel card is only for legacy customers. The fastest system will be the Intel KL CPU.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Sorry, I don't have enough power to stop the flow of time, so much as the future will hurt to some afraid of change...

The W9100 already delivers 2.5TFLOPs.

Which goes back to workstation cards being more powerful...in a specific subset of tasks they are optimized for. In games...well...not so much.

8350rocks

Distinguished

Umm, where did you get 1.4 TFLOPS? Seriously a HD 7850 with a stiff OC can do that.

The 290X is capable of ~5 TFLOPS.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
A HD 7850 only gives 110.08 GFLOPS. Thus either some people believes that using a fantasyland cooler (TM) they could OC the card to hit 1433.34 GFLOPS or simply they don't understand the difference between SP FLOPS and DP FLOPS.

Of course, despite what some believe, a KL CPU will be much faster than a 290X.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I obtain 2.62 TFLOPS for the W9100. I estimate the KL CPU will give 3.23 TFLOPS.

Thus the KL CPU will offer more FLOPS than the fastest workstation card from AMD. But now consider that KL CPU eliminates the need of offloading computations and the PCIe bottleneck; thus, in practice, the KL CPU will be much much faster¹ than the $4000 card from AMD.

¹ Former studies comparing APUs to discrete cards found the APU can be up to 70 times faster than the card thanks to eliminating the PCIe bottleneck. The KL CPU would benefit from similar speedups

http://www.computer.org/csdl/proceedings/saahpc/2011/4448/00/4448a141-abs.html

jdwii

Splendid
its important to remember juan's up to statements i think he could make a great marketing guy he knows enough and i actually think he does believe what he is saying. To be honest if he would just say by 2020 workstation video cards will be rare(5% or less of workstations) i might see it. But when he claims gaming rigs will all be integrated except for 1% or less its kinda troubling to hear it from him. I would like to keep people informed about his originally statement which was 2016-2017.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows APU's will take out 150$ GPU's but the more transistors it takes to improve performance and the more die space CPU cores use or worse cache heavy designs the less transistors that can be used for the GPU.
Solutions multilayer die's.
Bigger APU's such as the opteron
Kick it 90's style bring back CPU blocks

jdwii

Splendid

Ok i'll PM some others to see if you stated this way back before even kaveri launch. Pretty darn sure you said Intel would have a dGPU killer by 2016-17.(It's 2015 my bad)

Eitherway where did you get the Nvidia statement about discrete video cards being dead? I remember you showing some PDF files but i googled that quote and i can't find anyone saying that besides your signature. I know Linus said it but i doubt the person really earns much credit not having a technical background in GPU engineering.

I now see Juan himself said 2018(not 2020 but 2018) several times. HOWEVER he likes to use that Intel killing GPU's picture quite a lot and he actually kept showing out the 2015 year for Intel by which they were supposed to kill of dGPU's. Yeah we will see how well that goes
http://s9.postimg.org/bmb7v6g7j/image.png

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
What I said about Intel Skylake integrated graphics being good enough for most people is one thing, what I said about exascale and the death of GPUs because don't scale up is other. But I am not surprised that some people in forums confounds and mixes everything...

jdwii

Splendid
The point is never listen to marketing slides from Intel or Amd or Nvidia(or anyone else really)
Its quite clear companies think to much of themselves or their products . Even more so never listen to a company about something they suck in for example Intel on graphics. Intel ALWAYS markets their GPU's as being good enough(downplaying products) even when they first started integrating the GPU on the boards.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
http://s9.postimg.org/bmb7v6g7j/image.png

Excellent image of an old post from mine where I first discussed exascale and the death of GPUs because don't scale up and latter I mentioned how Intel Skylake integrated graphics will be good enough for most people including 90% of gamers. I am not surprised that some people in forums confounds and mixes both arguments, neither I am surprised that they confound technical arguments (which are independent of brands and apply the same to Intel, AMD, or Nvidia) with marketing...

I will quote juggernautxtr thought from above image:

the change is coming guys

Only those afraid of change or those who said "it will never happen! It will never happen!" would start to panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.