AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 645 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Personally, I have a release FX 8350 and the CPU_NB does not like to be OCed at all. It takes a lot of voltage and gets really hot really quick.

I remember back when we were all figuring out these chips, CPU_NB was a struggle to OC for a lot of people besides me. Now it seems a lot easier to crank it up. I don't think AMD has changed spec for them yet on the newer chips. Which is sort of a shame. They could have sold FX 9000 series with faster CPU_NB speeds out of the gate and really helped performance and benchmark scores.

Looking at what the new Vishera dies do compared to what I have, I think GloFo 32nm has come a long way.

Gabe is our Holy Savior.

gabe_newell_portrait_by_freddre-d4rnffi.jpg

But seriously, what the F'ing F. It's not like MS or Sony had a gun to their respective management heads to pick the current gen hardware. They could have asked for something better and not have these stupid performance issues and then piggyback PC gamers (which ironically are mostly in Windows).

Man, this really makes me pray/hope for SteamOS to gain traction.

Cheers!

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Had a longer post typed up, but chrome's memory leakage finally got to my 2GB potato laptop's RAM.

Is there any case where the a10-7850k wouldn't be bottlenecked by system memory bandwidth - that is, all 512 GCN cores could realize their full potential?

Also, the a8-7600 is, if I remember correctly, slightly ahead of the a10-5800k in performance, and at the same price. Power savings are nice and all, but I guess I was looking for an upgrade that noticeably increased performance.

Although, if Carrizo is going to be compatible with fm2+ motherboards, it just might work out - my primary reason for upgrading is so that I can recycle the old(er) core components to beef up some family members' ridiculously-old-ridiculously-weak computers for Christmas. I suppose that I could live with similar performance to my a10-5800k, plus mantle, trueaudio, and much lower power consumption. If I really want to go for a higher-end APU option (when, with Carrizo, they hopefully will be more economically viable), as long as it's compatible with the FM2+ platform, I should be able to. And if it's not more economically viable... well, that's what throwing in an R7 240 or 250 is for.

Glad we had this conversation, saved me $70. Although, one more thought... with the possibility of upgrading to Carrizo in the future, should I invest in 2400-speed-rated RAM (and run it at 2133 with the a8 7600), or just save myself $5 and go for 2133? I assume that with the higher-end, newer APUs, more memory bandwidth would be demanded?

Didn't I warn everyone months ago this would happen? This generation of consoles, compared historically, are cripples. This is honestly one of the weakest generation of consoles, relative to PC horsepower. And we're now shocked games are running 30 FPS at less then 1080p, and Sony/MSFT are pressuring devs to limit the PC releases to match consoles?

The major problem is how the new approach to hardware made almost all current tools the devs use pretty much obsolete. Now they require to rewrite most of their internal frameworks for this console gen, a cost they seem not to be willing to take in. So, the cheap way out is to cap quality and framerate to a lower standard than theoretically possible. MS and Sony are scumbags for doing that, but Devs with old tools are to blame as well.

In any case, I see MS with the bigger issues. I know the PS4 has more room to spare.

Cheers!

Graphically, yes. CPU side? Not really. The CPUs this gen are cripples, and more and more Devs are starting to complain about it.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

One of the weakest? PS2? Xbox?

logainofhades

Titan

The original Xbox had a pentium 3, iirc. Compared to the PC's at the time, it was actually not that far behind.

jdwii

Splendid

Plus you have to remember back then they were more console like meaning way different then PC's now this time around its simply a 8 core atom(oh i mean jaguar) with a 7790-7870 GPU with slow DDR3 ram or GDDR5 memory which is also slow for today's standards. Its the CPU really and the slow DDR3 memory for graphics(what is this 2007).

So the optimization people keep talking about isn't happening anymore(at least not as much) on consoles since its to much like a PC. So instead people will say look this PC from 2013 can't play BF7 but the PS4 can and its over optimization when in reality it would be over Vram requirements since the horrible CPU in the consoles can't compress the textures fast enough for the GPU so they have to store the whole entire thing in the Vram.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

And which modern PC has CPU-GPU with GDDR5 shared memory?
PS4 isn't much different in comparision with PC than PS2, it's just easier because we have similar components in our rigs. And as long as Mantle, DX12 and OpenGL Next aren't widely used PS4 has more efficient API.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

You could buy Athlon XP 1500+ for $155 at the time.

logainofhades

Titan
Xbox had a custom 733 PIII in it. Given that P3 was faster than P4, clock for clock, it wasn't really too terribly behind many of the available CPU's at the time. I was using a Duron 700 back when it was released. Today's consoles are using CPU's that are even slower than a PhII X6. The gap is bigger than current PC hardware, vs console this go around.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

1500+ was over 2 times faster than that PIII. Even i5 (at stock clocks) isn't 2 times faster than PS4 CPU.

Well if you read those benchmarks you need to double / halve everything (in the MT tests at least) for the Athalon 5350 as PS4 has 8 cores rather than 4 (at similar speeds). On that basis in a proper MT enviroment the PS4 apu probably isn't too bad.

The problem is it has *ah heck all* single core perf...

jdwii

Splendid

What? The 8 core jaguar is probably around a I3 at best. Hell even a 8350fx clocked at 1.8Ghz is slow compared to a I5 probably weaker then a I3. I'll do test's actually to see. I5 is without a single doubt in my mind twice as fast compared to jaguar hell i bet Nintendo's own CPU has a higher IPC compared to jaguar or at least very close. Even dev's know the CPU is a major bottleneck.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

8 Jaguar cores > 8 Bulldozer "cores" (and it has only 4 FPUs)

i5 should be at best 80% better than PS4 CPU.

And Nintendo... 1.24 GHz Tri-Core IBM PowerPC, not even close.

jdwii

Splendid
Having only 4 FP units means nothing for integer based tasks which is the majority also jaguar only features a 128 bit FPU where Bulldozer has a 256bit FPU. I would like to hear your side to the story though and why you think a 8 core jaguar is even worth talking about its IPC is on level with Piledriver while being clocked at an extremely low clock speed.

Since jaguar is clocked at such as low clock speed 1.8Ghz vs 4.0Ghz for the 8350 it would have to have over twice the IPC of Bulldozer something it clearly doesn't have. So in reality its 8 Bulldozer cores>8 Jaguar cores.

However those parts are not even comparable anyways since its a different power envelope

jdwii

Splendid

Even when you are nice and double the scores(scaling doesn't work that way) it still comes behind the I5 again when all cores are used on jaguar on the consoles its probably around a I3.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I meant only IPC. Of course Jaguars can't be clocked as high as Bulldozers.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Oh, it's another aspect - optimization. It's after midnight and that topic is much more complicated than just comparing cores.

Example: low-IPC CPU from Xbox 360 in practice is more less at level of Windows binary on Core 2 Quad.

jdwii

Splendid
Any optimizations done on jaguar will be seen on the PC as well(over X86 making the point of optimizations a moot point) making this gen different then the rest.

Pretty sure the main reason why the xbox took so long to get many games after the PS2 is over them picking CISC over RISC.

They rewrite everything in directx to port to xbox, there wasn't much financial motivation for a lot of devs for a long time.

Optimization in consoles will be focused on memory access, multicore scaling and gpu communication I would assume.

Personally, I have a release FX 8350 and the CPU_NB does not like to be OCed at all. It takes a lot of voltage and gets really hot really quick.

It's your motherboard. I have an Asus Sabertooth and OCing my NB was as easy as changing the multiplier. Didn't even have to increase the voltage by much. The NB on the APU's was similarly easy to change, except for the 7600 which is locked.

Seriously overclocking the CPU_NB on all the AMD chips is piss easy, no idea where you got the idea that it was hard or created lots of heat (it doesn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.