AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 650 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdwii

Splendid
143$= Pentium 60$ GPU 250
143$(is it retail price?) Athlon x4 80$, GPU 63$(some weak GPU)

For 143$ the A10 is worth it compared to the systems above However what about the A10 5800K? 100$ plus a heat-sink for overclocking? Plus you would have more money for the board and ram to overclock. Is this 143$ APU worth it for a 400-450$ build? I know first hand you can build a 6300FX plus 250X build for 450-470$. For 400$ i think its either the A10 7850K or A10 5800K and 212+ for overclocking and maybe faster ram and a better board.

szatkus

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

No, Richland is still better. Kaveri needs faster memory to show its True Power.

http://www.chip-architect.com/news/Kaveri_Trinity_2014-01-07.jpg

Fortunately GCN3 is less bandwidth demanding.

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_a8_7600_apu_review,10.html

Even the 45W setting of the a8-7600 beats the a10-6800k in these benchmarks, to say nothing about the a10-5800k. And it's now $10 cheaper. Add on the benefits of mantle, trueaudio, and HSA (in case we ever get some programs designed for it) and I really can't see any reason to go with the a10-5800k over it. Get a better-performing, more efficient, feature-rich APU for less, and get an even better motherboard / faster RAM. Or just save more. Or perhaps best of all, use the extra money towards an SSD.

Personally, the price changes have changed my mind - I was going to go for an a8-7600, but with a $40 price cut on the a10-7850k, it's definitely in the budget now.

jdwii

Splendid

Most of the time its not that much higher if at all compared to the 6800K, in some cases its actually slower this was discussed like 30 pages ago so i don't blame you for not knowing, to much useless info on here. :p

Eitherway for 400$ a A10-7850K build is amazing i built like 2 of these machines for people and i played games on it and benchmarked it heavily to the Pentium dual core + 250X and in most cases the A10 won in CPU tasks but lost in gaming. I like the fx 6300 so much right now its in my 450$ builds i think i might make my new 400$ build a A10 7850K.

jdwii

Splendid
Steam prices, upgradability, mods, older titles before 2013, free online in most games, indie games, do actual work on it, play strategy games(reason why i went to PC gaming that and simulators)...etc

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

*upgradability is out of the question when talking about APUs. and your gaming PC is not running an APU anyway.
*you even mentioned mods, the most mod heavy game out there (skyrim) don't play well with an APU.

all of the things you mentioned above works best in a dCPU+dGPU config. why limit your PC gaming experience with an APU? APUs are obsolete as secondary systems as well. steam in-home streaming put a nail on that coffin. now instead of playing low-medium graphics settings, just stream it onto a low spec PC and quit thinking about which a8 or a10 is the best for gaming. so those a8s/a10s are crap for everything desktop PC gaming related.

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

'Not sure if serious', for some, gaming is just not about the yearly dose of cod/fifa/(insert some other crap) etc

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Every single point wrong :/ (speaking from actual experience)

wh3resmycar

Distinguished

oh so what's the actual experience like?

edit: case in point: . so what would you suggest this guy do with his APU? upgrade to an a10-7850k? :pt1cable:

i've seen a lot of "APU upgrade help" threads around here and i just pity the guy for buying an APU.

con635

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013

Much, much, much better than the 'console' experience! From the games and price right down to the people playing online with you.
Buy the r9 280 would be my advice, even bf4 64mp on SOS despite 4 cores being pinned at 90-100% usage the now 'athlon' at 4ghz will do playable frames 45-80 iirc, again, from my own experience.

jdwii

Splendid

Perhaps you should watch this video before you claim APU builds can't be upgraded, also bringing up the fact that i don't have an APU so they are not worth it.......wait what?

Mods so just over 1 game not working well with mods its not worth mentioning also it runs fine on non-graphical mods there's like 1000 mods dude that have nothing to do with graphics for that game alone.

Then based on that you claim APU's are crap for pc gaming since it can't play games at 1080P high settings? Perhaps you should tell all those PS4+Wii U+Xbox one owners the same thing? Graphics aren't everything sometimes in the PC community i think they forget that(even me sometimes).

jdwii

Splendid

Wow so a person picks a APU for a 200$ GPU that was once 250$ when it came out? No the APU isn't worth it in those cases. Also hint why i claim i personally wouldn't put a APU in any of my builds i make for people above 450$. Over the FX 6300 being a better deal. Watch some Youtube videos of people playing games on the A10 7850K some of these owners might not have a lot of money and perhaps they even own 720P monitors or 900P monitors.

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
was the vid you posted supposed to be sarcastic? interestingly enough watch what linus had to say near the end of the of vid that you posted.

well the ps4 will give a better gaming experience than any a10 setup, and that's a fact. and you're missing the point, let's take a new game for example, Ryse: Son of Rome, i have less than $500 but i want to play newer games, do i spend it on an a10 and play the game i bought for $30 at crap setting or should i just go ahead and buy an xbone and be done with it?

i'll never recommend an a8/a10 for any system build. for tighter budgets you have the g3258+260x to solve that.

sapperastro

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Buy a console and play the small list of games released for said console

or

Build a cheap, upgradable PC that can play literally thousands of gaming titles, across tens of different platforms (emulation), many different genres not found on consoles, do other things beside gaming (work, study, social, movies, the list goes on).

Well, I don't know about you, but that is a HARD choice there...

An A8 or A10 is a perfectly capable processor for driving a dGPU in the majority of games, and would certainly be able to match a xbone or PS4.

So for same money, you could get an A10 now (no gpu) and play on moderate settings, then add a dGPU down the line (sure there's little point pairing a GTX 980 with an A10, but something like a R9 270X for £120 would be worth it).

The *only* downside of an APU is the lack of higher end cpu's to upgrade from- and the question of if you need one or not hinges on what games you want to play... for most games a quad core A8 or A10 is sufficient, just like an i3 or a FX 4XXX part. Remember that at the resolutions and settings *you actually game at* the bottleneck is GPU not CPU.

Swede69

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
AMD doesn't make any good products anymore.....their gpus run way too hot 95C, they use 3x the power of Nvidia gpus, I don't even know how they justify that to the consumer.....Their processors are way behind Intel in performance vs cost..... AMD doesn't make anything decent, if you think they do...... you are in a DREAMWORLD!!!

logainofhades

Titan
Would never recommend a 7850k for a gaming build. A pentium G with a 250x or 260x is a much better solution, for a similar cost.. Hell, even a pentium G with a GTX 730 Gddr5 would be better, and cost less.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD A10-7850K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($164.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $164.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 09:16 EDT-0400

vs

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 250X 2GB Core Edition Video Card ($90.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $159.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 09:20 EDT-0400

With GTX 730

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 730 1GB Video Card ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $139.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-23 09:20 EDT-0400

Well, a Console is a dedicated piece of hardware that do basic non-gaming stuff at best. For 400, the choice of APU/CPU+GPU is the better one for people that actually knows. I'm willing to say that a Console is better for someone that doesn't know (or doesn't have someone that does) and doesn't want to do other things than gaming.

For us, people that know, I'm curious to see under what scenario a Console would be a better choice than a cheap PC alternative.

I'm also talking from experience here. My GF's little brothers had PS3, Wii, XBox and all that from last gen, until we decided to give them a "cheap gaming PC". The consoles are now getting dust and all of their games are in their Steam library. I think the plugged the PS3 again to play GTA V, and then they went back to PC. Hell, I think their Steam library is already bigger than mine, lol.

--

Going back to the Video cards speculation. Is the new "R9 390X" sporting GCN 3? At least, GCN 2.5? The R9 285 is using something like GCN 2, right?

Also, any idea when AMD will release the chipset refresh that supports DDR4? I'm holding to that until I swap my Llano.

Cheers!

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

That sure is a lot of assumptions. Upgradability is about perspective; when you replace your CPU you also replace your GPU. For free!

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I wouldn't recommend a dual core cpu for anything above a Web browser, especially if it's for gaming. It will be the first component you throw away.

FarCry3.png

I don't think people are going to be using Ultra settings on FC3 with a Pentium. Medium-High maybe. And by your own argument, you show the i3's holding up quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.