AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 717 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Because you need years of research, lots of money, and engineers. You cannot surpass competition by dropping R&D, closing centers, and firing engineers.

The SoC integration, the GPU, the frequency barrier, HDL... all that is as expected and commented in this same thread, but Excavator is poor than expected. Only 5% IPC gains!

Neither Excavator is the game changer that some expected nor Carrizo will change anything: AMD will continue loosing market share and money. Any bet?

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

if this remains the trend then it looks like they can't do better cpu (ipc better than sandy per core) and better gpu
wondering if i should bet on their gaming dgpu killer apu by 2020 or should i bet on their existence and product's significance enough to keep competition's price low

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I corrected your misattribution of my words to gamerk.

I am still confident that Zen IPC will be between Ivy and Haswell. Excavator is a disappointment because

• ■ It relies on bad Bulldozer base. Bulldozer was optimized for throughput not latency. Extracting bigger IPC gains requires re-designing key parts.
    ■ AMD lacks the resources/time to re-design and is devoting resources to Zen/K12.
    ■ AMD is stuck to 28nm. whereas competition is at 14nm.
    ■ Desktop is no longer relevant. The money is on mobile. Thus AMD optimized excavator for mobile: less size, less power consumption, less cost.

Overall (i.e. considering GPU and Soc improvements) Carrizo mobile is better than Kaveri mobile. The problem for AMD is that Carrizo is not enough. We will see most laptops use Intel Broadwell designs. Moreover, AMD has nothing for rest of markets except irrelevant Kaveri refreshes and old Piledriver FX series. Thus the CPU division of AMD will continue loosing money and market share.

Regarding the future 2020 APUs from AMD. They are nothing special when compared to the designs of Intel, Nvidia, and others for the same period.

Price low is a good strategy if AMD want to transform in the new VIA.

logainofhades

Titan

Yea, for Skyrim, even an i3 is a better chip, as it is such a poorly threaded title.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013
I think this is the better characterization of Carrizo: "The x86 notebook processor that thinks it's a GPU"

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/24/amd_carrizo/

Only 16% of the die is x86 compute; the rest is graphics, video acceleration and IO. Just saying it...

cemerian

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

there are the magic words in there, if developer take advantage of, so in other words it wont happens, just look at how poor sli and crosfire support is now, do you really think it would change, though would be nice if i could once again use amd card for rendering and nvidia gpu for physx, would make a cheaper upgrade

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

9WeCEG3.jpg

i think that's recommended customer price or oem price or something for every 1000 pcs of mobile core i3. these processors won't show up in retail shops. i doubt carrizo will either. but that doesn't mean amd can't undercut intel in that segment. imo they can very well undercut intel in terms of pricing.

@TG: yet another reason windows 10 will fly off teh shelves even if it's a 40-60 release. :p

blackkstar

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012

Skyrim uses a lot of legacy instructions. I don't know how much they've patched out over time, but when it released, it was a whole lot of x87 instructions. The same instructions that make AMD look awful in SuperPi.

x87 was deprecated a long time ago. Then again it raises the issue of if you want to spend the money to support those sorts of applications or how important they are to you. AMD has traditionally struggled with x87 instructions, and considering they have been suggested too not be used for years and years, I don't blame them for not putting in serious effort to fixing x87 instructions.

But running legacy instructions is a common thing in Windows, so it's not like AMD should get a free pass for ignoring it so much. I've always advocated this before, but there's a large difference between how a CPU performance in Windows and what it's actually capable of. But if you're going to use Windows 100% of the time, what the chip is capable of is sadly irrelevant.

jdwii

Splendid

What? Highly inaccurate. For one thing even if skyrim worked on OSX or linux it would still be using the same instruction set. Depends on the software you use not just the OS. Not sure about linux fanboys but i can hear some crazy stuff on their end. During college i heard some troll claim he can get triple the fps in minecraft on linux i was like WHAT. I'm looking forward to OpenGl next however hoping it really has similar features and performance of 12.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Why do some people always attribute AMD problems/fiascos to everyone else (developers, foundries, standard bodies, OSes, and of course the evil review sites)? If an i3 runs circles around a FX-8000 series on Skyrim the problem is on AMD poor implementation of x87 and weak single thread performance, the problem is not on developers because the i3 run fine.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

in order make 14nm feasible, AMD had to address power consumption before making the transition. its the same tick-tock model intel is now doing, reduce power, then shrink it and hope it still works. Zen is a long way off, im more skeptical of whether AMD can survive till it shows up. All their eggs look to be in one basket for the future, one that's over a year out. till then ...

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Unless the asset bubble bursts then AMD can survive a while. We're at record highs for the DOW and NASDAQ meaning there is so much fake money pumped in the stock market right now. However when that bursts its going to make 2008 look like a walk in the park.

AMD has a B in cash and interest rates can't really get lower.

If you were expecting much more than this, then you were not paying attention. Excavator did exactly what Kavari did, which is exactly what AMD wants it to do, target the mobile market.

I don't see any reason to think that AMD will lose market share or money based on this. It improves their position in the volume mobile markets they are targeting.

That may or may not be the case, but the fact is AMD is much more competitive on mobile than on desktop. If they lose share in the mobile market at this point, it wont be because their offerings are weak.

The "I3 runs fine" argument is quite weak. It does NOT prove the developers are not at fault simply because the I3 "runs fine". If your leaving that much performance on the table, you are doing a lazy job of coding. And that does fall on the developer.

AMD is in little danger at the moment. In fact, they are in their best position in almost a decade. Their strategy to diversify has definitely worked so far. The only way you could draw the conclusion that they are in trouble would be to focus exclusively on the desktop market, to the exclusion of everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS