AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 720 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

logainofhades

Titan

The i3 is also clocked 700mhz slower. Clock for clock Core 2 is showing to be superior to FX. That is the point I am making. AMD has not improved at all, in IPC, despite what fanboys think. They went from worse, with Faildozer, to about back where they were, with PhII, with Piledriver. They raised the clock speed way up, like Intel did with P4, and increased its multithreaded capability. Yes the future is multithreaded, but that future still hasn't happened yet. Single threaded performance does still matter, and AMD has failed to improve on that. I am not anti AMD. I have owned plenty of them, and still have one. I just see the reality of the situation. I want the AMD, that actually competed, back. They need to slow up a bit on thinking so much about the far future, and a little bit more of the here and now. All that new future stuff is cool, but useless if it isn't supported. The ratio of future tech, vs the here and now, needs a better balance than what they have been doing.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

BD was a piece of nonsense from bottom to top. There is no need to discuss BD again, the team responsible for it was fired and AMD already admitted in public that "Bulldozer was a fiasco".

8350rocks

Distinguished

LOL...what game benches are you looking at? It is usually somewhere around a 2600k or 3570k depending on the game and benchmark.

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED

not even beats i5-2500k , let alone newer i5 or i7
show me if it does ( not just some handful, but majority )
8350 does not rock in games when compared to i5

i am also wondering if we will see rejuvenation of ph2 x4/x6 in dx12

logainofhades

Titan

My FX 8320 @ 4.0ghz, is slower than my 3.5ghz i5 2400, in WoW and D3, when paired with the same card. I have not tested any other games, as those are the only two those systems really play. The i5 runs at 2048x1152, vs the 1680x1050, of the FX. Blizzard titles in general, heavily favor Intel, though.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

The 8350 is usually behind the i3, sometimes caught i5
Average.png

Thief-Med.png

Crysis3-CPU.png

BF4-Hi.png

Reepca

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012

Doesn't any game with bullet drop have a bullet-position-vs-time that is represented by an equation with degree of 2 (ie not linear)?

I'm all for better physics / simulation technologies, but imagine if a game had to take into account the gravitational force of everything, not just the planet below you. Any game with more than 2 or 3 objects would become immensely complex (so uh... best of luck, Star Citizen...). And if a game had a variable number of objects, you would need to build an entire abstract mathematics engine since adding an object changes the equation itself, not just some variable.

One area I would definitely like to see improvement in is collision detection. Hit boxes can be very close to the real thing, but they can never actually match it - why not do the math for checking for collisions with the geometry of the object itself? And inter-frame collision checking - is that a thing most games do nowadays?

Ok, but then lets also consider it's widely accepted that Skyrim uses a particular set of code that is worst case for AMD. In other titles I'm sure you'd see decent IPC gains with an FX 8350 vs Core 2. Also, it's worth considering that AMD designed the architecture to run at high clocks with sensible power requirements- how much power was that Core 2 using at that speed? More than the FX I'd wager.

I'm not trying to say that the IPC of the FX is where it should be, we all know it's not, however I also think some of these issues are often blown out of proportion. As with all things building a good system is about balance. Where a CPU can provide enough power to keep the GPU busy, then it's good enough. If you look at average performance then the FX6XXX and FX8XXX parts are ample to keep up with mid range graphics boards (R9 280X, GTX 960) so make the basis for a decent gaming rig at a reasonable cost, with the added benefit of a bit of extra oomph in threaded applications compared to the cost equivalent i3 from Intel. Obviously if we start looking at high end graphics cards, or other situations where the bottleneck is pushed firmly back to the CPU and specifically single thread performance, the FX is a worse choice than the i3. I would suggest though that as we look at the newer games, the situation *is* changing. The other thing to keep in mind, more and more these days new titles are built on existing engines. As the new gen engines incorporate better threading, the subsequent games will have this by default. The Battlefield series is already a good example of a game where the now old FX 8XXX parts are performing *above where you'd expect* based on older titles.

I think if anything AMD's mistake with this range was they got the balance a bit too skewed towards multi thread, whereas Intel hit the nail spot on. Hopefully with the next gen cores AMD will strike a better balance.

logainofhades

Titan

This is correct. Conroe/Kentsfield was 65nm, and Wolfdale/Yorkfield was 45nm. A part of me misses my old Xeon 3210. Clocked @ 3.6ghz, it was a pretty solid chip.

etayorius

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

I am still holding on to a PhenomII 980BE at 4.2GHZ, beats any FX 4100-4300 90% of the time.

Next upgrade will be an i5 Skylake and possibly the R9 380X, i hope those are not also rebrands of the R9 200 series.

logainofhades

Titan

That will be quite the upgrade.

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Funny how even though AMD has far fewer resources, Carrizo is a more elegant design. One die, simple package.

Broadwell is a 2 die, package with a wart (FIVR & 3DL pcb) on the bottom that looks like a mess.

fivr-3dl.png

The FX never hit AMD's performance targets. Remember, it was planned as a 4ghz, 8 core, chip at launch, with IPC matching the phenom. That was 2011. Had they achieved that goal, FX would have been very successful. Maybe not the best gaming part, but a great overall cpu.

To this day, four years later, they have not reached the FX performance goals. Given how poorly it has performed, turning into a quality low power part is an accomplishment.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

I think the 380, 390, and 395 are new cards.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

And the originally planned desktop version of Carrizo disabled part of that "elegance" on die to add an external chip on mobo with the lacking ports/services on the die, because you cannot have a single optimal die from 15W to 65W. AMD has designed a chip optimized only for a tiny market (15--35W) and can integrate everything needed in a single die.

Broadwell is designed to work from 3.5W (tablets) to 160W (servers). You cannot do a single die for that. It is not a question of resources but of physics.

Moreover, AMD has stated clearly that their future products will be multi-die: e.g.; with six different dies on one package. Because will be focused to serve a broad range of customers from tablets to HPC. Will you consider AMD's future products inelegant by using multiple dies?

You gotta stop approaching things from a human PoV, humans are very serial thinkers to the tune of cause -> effect -> observation -> reaction. Physics is extremely dynamic and parallel, where time is the only serial element. Each interaction would be done simultaneously but only if that interaction happened within the exact same time slice and would use a number of threads equal to the number of simultaneous interactions within the same reference frame. This is how physics simulators work but doing it in real time is computationally expensive requiring massive parallel capabilities. The real issue is creating an API or other model that allowed the input and output of the physics to be useful to the logic of a game. It's extremely hard for humans to wrap their minds around dozens if not hundreds of things happening simultaneously so instead we think of it as a series of events handled in sequence which can work well without our own mind.

A good way to think of it would be how a database serves requests. Each request is a single serial task but the database receives many hundreds of these tasks every second and some of them interact with each other. So while each physics interaction is serial in that moment, there are many interactions happening simultaneously that can be processed separately, for that time slice / moment. Then with the results of those interactions you process the next time slice / moment, then the next and so on / so forth. The issue then becomes balancing it out so that you don't get caught behind since if it takes you longer then 10ms to calculate out the physics that took place in those 10ms your going to start having lag issues. You want to keep the interactions simple enough that you can do them quickly and not get caught, but complex enough to be useful.

jdwii

Splendid

?

jdwii

Splendid

Me thinks i got made fun of for loving AOE3, actually i still get stutters in that game when its locked to 60fps and my new 970 has coil wine can't ever win, at least my CPU runs fine on the stock heat-sink i think i won the lottery with this CPU.

8350 rocks to add more to the comment later games that use all the 8350's potential (rare as heck to me) performs around a I5-I7 but i play many many games and even new ones like ATTILA plays very bad on the 8350.

Status
Not open for further replies.