AMD CPU speculation... and expert conjecture

Page 75 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastLeeX

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

I think anyone that is not biased towards Intel/AMD, would reccommend AMD for the $150 or less bracket for gaming of course. 2 games have just released (Crysis 3 & Tomb Raider) and are using at least 4 threads/cores.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

i had a Core2Dup E7300 , with Intel DG35EC mobo. Since the mobo was completely useless for Overclocking, i used the BSL tape mod.
It tool my proc from 2.66 --> 3.33 gHZ.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I agree, Tom's basically benches a set of games that perform well with Intel processors, some of the games are pretty old like WOW. Then when Intel performs better on these old games Tom's chooses them as the best "gaming" cpus, but IMO what the really are finding is the best cpu for games that used to be very popular, not games that will be popular.

I know that three types of integration are being tried;

1) GPU style design.
2) SOC with integrated GDDR5.
3) Regular die but motherboards with GDDR5 soldered onto the board with no DIMMS.

The first will likely be used in low powered server systems, AMD made reference in their slides to PCIe endpoints so this makes sense. The second was shown in that image basically a 1GB GDDR5 integrated onto the SoC and the last one is likely only to be seen in OEM machines and notebooks/ultrabooks.

Probably not, Intel in maybe 3 or so games actually opens a gap to AMD the rest its basically within finger tips length at the price points but you know you need a intel for everything.

Its interesting

Yeah well this not new, the CPU build off marathon is a bunch of systems all with the same processor just cheaping out on certain things to put more GPU power, but was lulzy to read nonetheless. Its like they are trying so desperately hard not to add variation. God forbid Steamroller is good or TH and Anand will have nothing to write about.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
A lot of people want AMD to do well, not because they want to buy the AMD proc, but because they want Intel to release unlocked i3's in response to AMD, which they actually want to buy :pfff:

Won't happen. Intel would end up competing against itself. The i3's are binned i5's that their selling for significantly less profit margin, they want you to buy the more expensive CPU and if you won't then drop down to their binned product. They never want their cheap product to have the best cost - performance ratio.

Who would really want to do that? better yet, what purpose does a unlocked i3 SKU give to the market. Multi threading and intense workloads kill the dual cores and unlocked only appeals to enthusiast markets, which no real enthusiast will spend $170 on a unlocked i3. Needless to say Intel is not in the business to apeasing your needs, overclockers to Intel are like vermin, it is why they have no intention of making unlocked SKU's on masse and make a chip that doesn't suffer the cold bug under LN2 and shrivel up and die at 7GHz on a single core. If you want to extreme clock a APU to FX overclocks on all four to 8 cores well over 7.5ghz under LN2 and on single and 2 core clocks can hit the 10-11ghz barrier, so there we are if you want a unlocked chip go buy a AMD.

What this also goes to show and reaffirms my sentiment and I believe De5_Roy's is that Intel as a brand are just so damn boring. :sleep:

Yeah, okay moving along :-"

The only thing you need is a board change, a i3 will be a downgrade.

BuddiLuva

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012

I would like to feel bad for them, I really would.

But I just can't stop laughing.

Well, the first (Crysis 3) offloaded work from the GPU to the CPU, so yeah, favors AMD (higher core usage) at the cost of overall performance (work would be done faster on the GPU). The second (Tomb Raider), while showing less overall core usage per core, does NOT lead to any actual performance increase (due to not being CPU bottlenecked).

Speaking of TR, I took some preliminary GPUView performance measurements yesterday, and found a few surprises. (/teaser)

That being said, at its current price (~$200), its hard NOT to recommend the FX-8350.

jdwii

Splendid

Not really that surprising it happens its not like this hasn't happened to Amd time after time and even more back in the ATI days.

You have to admit it as well. The latest games coming out are looking better and better on Amd and Amd is closing the gap pretty quickly. Not to say Intel isn't ahead its just getting less and less noticeable. That saying i would never get anything from Intel unless it was a I5 or better.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

And I thought no x86 CPU ever broke through the 9GHz barrier :eek:

Fastest single GPU in the world $1000, inability to play games or directcompute....Priceless.

To be fair, last generation, EVERYONE was complaining that NVIDIA cards drew too much power and focused too much on compute performance, so NVIDIA went the other way, and made a more power efficient card that excelled in gaming.

Now everyone is complaining they suck at compute performance.

Secondly, on AMD cards, TressFX is showing a good 30FPS hit, so its not JUST NVIDIA here. TressFX kills performance on more or less every GPU out there.

The Tesselation bug is probably a bigger killer in all honesty.

I don't think so. Hair is notoriously hard to simulate well. Even in a simplified equation where each strand can only bend at one point in one direction, you have the effects of momentum, gravity, wind, and animations all comming into effect on thousands of individual stands, not to mention strand-on-strand action. On top of that, all these strands will individually deflect light, causing an extra surge in GPU load due to extra processing of the resulting shadows (especially if the engine isn't smart enough to treat hair as a flat object in this regard).

Hence why no ones bothered with a PhysX implementation of hair. Hair is hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.